u-locks and wheel damage

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Doug Welzel, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Welzel

Doug Welzel Guest

I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight of
    the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. S. Anderson

S. Anderson Guest

"Doug Welzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight
    > of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?
    >
    > Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not biting...

Scott..

3. [email protected] (Doug Welzel) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected].com>...
    > I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight
    > of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?

The weight of the lock is nothing compared to the weight of the rider....

let's see...a sturdy U-lock weighs...1 kg. I weigh....108 kg.

the lock adds less than ten percent more to the weight of the bike for
    me. no biggie. but then I'm not racing.

One danger--be very careful if you hang your bike on lampposts with a U-lock. Sometimes the only
    place to lock up, with all the parking meters taken, is on a lamppost, which here in London are too
    thick for my U-lock at the bottom, but thin out suitably four or five feet off the ground.

I've hung my bike and locked it there, only to come back later to find a spoke broken from
    being stressed in a weird way. Be doublesure you don't have spokes supporting the whole weight
    of the bike.

-Luigi

4. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

Remove the lock from your wheels before riding. If you forget then yes, your wheels will be damaged
    but will likely be the least of your worries.
    --

5. Drifter

Drifter Guest

There his a enormous danger if you don't use that U-lock that your bike will be stolen. More often I
    see two U-locks being used.

S. Anderson wrote:
    >
    > "Doug Welzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the
    > > weight of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    >
    > Sorry, I'm not biting...
    >
    > Scott..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.