u-locks and wheel damage

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Doug Welzel, Apr 10, 2003.

  1. Doug Welzel

    Doug Welzel Guest

    I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight of
    the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Doug Welzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight
    > of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Sorry, I'm not biting...

    Scott..

  3. [email protected] (Doug Welzel) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected].com>...
    > I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight
    > of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?

    The weight of the lock is nothing compared to the weight of the rider....

    let's see...a sturdy U-lock weighs...1 kg. I weigh....108 kg.

    the lock adds less than ten percent more to the weight of the bike for
    me. no biggie. but then I'm not racing.

    One danger--be very careful if you hang your bike on lampposts with a U-lock. Sometimes the only
    place to lock up, with all the parking meters taken, is on a lamppost, which here in London are too
    thick for my U-lock at the bottom, but thin out suitably four or five feet off the ground.

    I've hung my bike and locked it there, only to come back later to find a spoke broken from
    being stressed in a weird way. Be doublesure you don't have spokes supporting the whole weight
    of the bike.

    -Luigi

    > I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight
    > of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Remove the lock from your wheels before riding. If you forget then yes, your wheels will be damaged
    but will likely be the least of your worries.
    --

  5. Drifter

    Drifter Guest

    There his a enormous danger if you don't use that U-lock that your bike will be stolen. More often I
    see two U-locks being used.