u-locks and wheel damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Welzel

I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight of
the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?

Thanks!

"Doug Welzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight
> of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?
>
> Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not biting...

Scott..

[email protected] (Doug Welzel) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the weight
> of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?

The weight of the lock is nothing compared to the weight of the rider....

let's see...a sturdy U-lock weighs...1 kg. I weigh....108 kg.

the lock adds less than ten percent more to the weight of the bike for
me. no biggie. but then I'm not racing.

One danger--be very careful if you hang your bike on lampposts with a U-lock. Sometimes the only
place to lock up, with all the parking meters taken, is on a lamppost, which here in London are too
thick for my U-lock at the bottom, but thin out suitably four or five feet off the ground.

I've hung my bike and locked it there, only to come back later to find a spoke broken from
being stressed in a weird way. Be doublesure you don't have spokes supporting the whole weight
of the bike.

-Luigi

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> Thanks!
>

Remove the lock from your wheels before riding. If you forget then yes, your wheels will be damaged
but will likely be the least of your worries.
--

There his a enormous danger if you don't use that U-lock that your bike will be stolen. More often I
see two U-locks being used.

S. Anderson wrote:
>
> "Doug Welzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was looking at locks today and was drawn to the classic u-lock, but was worried that the
> > weight of the lock would damage my wheels (Krysrium Elites). Are my concerns unfounded?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Sorry, I'm not biting...
>
> Scott..

Status
Not open for further replies.