U.S. 'cross team needs francs for France

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Patrick O'Grady, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Fellow r.b.r. denizens:

    The 2003 nationals are in the history books, and the American Cyclo-cross Foundation is cranking up
    its annual drive to raise enough funds to send a full U.S. team to cyclo-cross world¹s Jan. 31-Feb.
    1 in Pont-Chateau, France.

    USA Cycling will underwrite the cost of travel for its automatic qualifiers -- elites Jonathan
    Page and Alison Dunlap, U23¹s Jesse Anthony and Jeremy Powers, and juniors Jamey Driscoll and
    Tucker Thomas. But USAC¹s discretionary picks, to be announced Jan. 7, 2004, will be required to
    pay a non-refundable $3,500 for the honor of wearing stars-and-stripes kit when they hit the
    trenches in France.

    So once again, the ACF is asking the U.S. cycling community for its help. Last year, you helped us
    send $8,000 to the men and women who represented the United States at world¹s. And this year, a
    couple of our partners are seeing to it that you can get more than a warm and fuzzy feeling out of
    your generosity.

    Beginning at 11:59 p.m. EST tonight (Tuesday, December 16), CyclocrossWorld.com will kick off a 48-
    hour sale that will dedicate a portion of proceeds to the ACF.

    "It's important that our world's-bound cyclo-cross athletes focus on getting the job done, rather
    than how they are going to get to Pont-Château, France," said CyclocrossWorld's Jeff Feddersen. "We
    have strong prospects in all the categories, and we are looking forward our best performance yet in
    a world's competition."

    Information on the sale will be posted at www.cyclocrossworld.com/store right before midnight (EST)

    Also, Verge Sport has produced and is selling a commemorative ACF T-shirt designed for free by an
    obscure cartoonist and 'cross fiend of dubious skill and questionable reputation. The shirts go for
    $19.95, and $10 of every sale goes to the ACF's fund for underwriting the U.S. team's annual trip to
    world's. To see (and buy) the ACF T-shirt, visit the Verge Sport web site. A thousand thanks to Greg
    Black for doing the gruntwork on this project.

    The purely altruistic among you can simply send a check to the ACF account, or contribute via
    PayPal; swing by our bargain-basement website at http://www.bikegeek.org for the no-fuss, no-
    muss details.

    Finally, we reiterate our annual pledge to you: The ACF doesn¹t spend a nickel of your money for
    administrative purposes, like fancy websites, numberless cases of black Belgian ale, or ACF-decal¹d
    titanium Œcross bikes with carbon forks and wheels (hey, they could be company cars, right?). Your
    money goes to the riders who go to world¹s, period, end of story.

    For more about the ACF and its support for U.S. cyclo-cross teams past and future, visit
    http://www.bikegeek.org or drop a note to me at [email protected]

    Cheers,

    Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media for the ACF: http://www.bikegeek.org

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Your web site could stand less crap and more easy way to get a mailing address to send some bucks.
    Geez, you geeks are all alike.

    "Patrick O'Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:maddogmedia-
    [email protected]
> [...]
    of
    > every sale goes to the ACF's fund for underwriting the U.S. team's
    annual
    > trip to world's. To see (and buy) the ACF T-shirt, visit the Verge
    Sport
    > web site. A thousand thanks to Greg Black for doing the gruntwork on
    this
    > project.
    >
    > The purely altruistic among you can simply send a check to the ACF account, or contribute via
    > PayPal; swing by our bargain-basement
    website
    > at http://www.bikegeek.org for the no-fuss, no-muss details.
    >
    > Finally, we reiterate our annual pledge to you: The ACF doesn¹t
    spend a
    > nickel of your money for administrative purposes, like fancy
    websites,
    > numberless cases of black Belgian ale, or ACF-decal¹d titanium
    Ocross
    > bikes with carbon forks and wheels (hey, they could be company cars, right?). Your money goes to
    > the riders who go to world¹s, period,
    end of
    > story.
    >
    > For more about the ACF and its support for U.S. cyclo-cross teams
    past and
    > future, visit http://www.bikegeek.org or drop a note to me at [email protected]
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Patrick O'Grady Mad Dog Media for the ACF: http://www.bikegeek.org

  3. > USA Cycling will underwrite the cost of travel for its automatic qualifiers -- elites Jonathan
    > Page and Alison Dunlap, U23¹s Jesse Anthony and Jeremy Powers, and juniors Jamey Driscoll and
    > Tucker Thomas. But USAC¹s discretionary picks, to be announced Jan. 7, 2004, will be required to
    > pay a non-refundable $3,500 for the honor of wearing stars-and-stripes kit when they hit the
    > trenches in France.

    Patrick--

    I know this is a USAC thing, and there's nothing you can do about it, BUT--why the hell does it cost
    $3500 to fly to France to do a bike race or two? A plane ticket this time of year should cost no
    more than $500 (I'll say a grand for easy math)

    A few days @ an okay hotel (which IIRC is paid for by the event organizer for Worlds), and a few
    days of meals. There are incremental costs for transporting more riders, but I don't think they cost
    that much.

    So my real question is why is USAC raking people over the coals for these costs to go to do the
    World Championships?

    Joey D'Antoni

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Patrick O'Grady <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Also, Verge Sport has produced and is selling a commemorative ACF T-shirt designed for free by an
    > obscure cartoonist and 'cross fiend of dubious skill and questionable reputation. The shirts go
    > for $19.95, and $10 of every sale goes to the ACF's fund for underwriting the U.S. team's annual
    > trip to world's. To see (and buy) the ACF T-shirt, visit the Verge Sport web site. A thousand
    > thanks to Greg Black for doing the gruntwork on this project.

    I will put in a plug for the T-shirts by mentioning that they make great Christmas gifts. Next year
    you guys should sell beer glasses. I think that would be appropriate.

    I second Joey's comments about the cost. My first reaction to that was that it seemed sort of steep.
    Are they making the discretionary picks chip in for the cost of the support people?

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "Tom
    Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Your web site could stand less crap and more easy way to get a mailing address to send some bucks.
    > Geez, you geeks are all alike.

    Saints preserve us,

    I forgot about the Irish, who didn't learn to walk upright until the English invented the
    wheelbarrow (Kunich IS an Irish name, is it not?*)

    For Irish Catholics: Visit the ACF at www.bikegeek.org or www.maddogmedia.com/acf.html, click on the
    PayPal logo, click on the "Send Money" button, then follow the instructions (you'll need our e-mail
    address: [email protected]).

    For Irish Protestants: Send a check or money order to the American Cyclo-cross Foundation, account
    number 103-555-5, Colorado Mountain Bank, 1000 Main Street, Westcliffe, CO 81252 (A big one, too, ye
    wee mean shites, who woon't gi'us the steam off yeer piss durin' the famine so). Be sure to include
    the ACF's account number on your check. Have a Catholic explain the math, if ye can find one outside
    the H-Block so. Fookers.

    Cheers,

    Padraig Declan O Gradaigh Geek-in-Chief and Druid Priest to: The American Cyclo-cross Foundation

    * Tomas O'Kunich has sent us donations in the past, more power to his arm; may he be in Heaven a half-
    hour before the Devil knows he's dead. My mother was a Prod. It's all for laughs, except for the
    part about giving the lads and lassies enough money to cross the water in hopes of finding the
    leprechaun squatting on the pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow.

  6. "Tom Kunich"
    > "Patrick O'Grady"
    > > Fellow r.b.r. denizens:
    > >
    > > The 2003 nationals are history, and the American
    > Cyclo-cross
    > > Foundation is cranking up its annual drive to cyclo-cross world¹s Jan. 31-Feb. 1 in France.
    > >
    > > USA Cycling will not underwrite the cost of travel for its automatic qualifiers -- elites
    > > Jonathan Page and Alison Dunlap, U23¹s Jesse
    > Anthony
    > > and Jeremy Powers, and juniors Jamey Driscoll and Tucker Thomas. But USAC¹s discretionary picks,
    > > to be announced Jan. 7, 2004, will be
    > required
    > > to pay a refundable $3,500 for the wearing
    > stars-and-stripes
    > > kit when they hit the trenches in France.
    > >
    > > So once again, the ACF is asking the U.S. cycling community for its
    > help.
    > > Last year, you helped us send $8,000 to the man who
    > a couple of our partners are
    > > seeing a warm and fuzzy feeling
    > of
    > > your generosity.
    > >

    > > CyclocrossWorld.com will kick off a 48-hour sale that will dedicate proceeds to the ACF.
    > >
    > > "It's important that our world's-bound cyclo-cross athletes focus on how they are going to get
    > > to Pont-Château, France," said CyclocrossWorld's Feddersen. "We
    > have
    > > strong prospects, and we are looking forward
    > our
    > > best performance yet right before midnight (EST)
    > >

    > T-shirt
    > > designed for free by an obscure cartoonist with a questionable reputation. every sale goes to
    > > the ACF's fund for underwriting the U.S. team's
    > annual
    > > trip to world's.
    > >
    > > The purely altruistic among you can simply send a check to the ACF account
    > >
    > > Finally, we reiterate our annual pledge to you: The ACF does
    > spend your money for administrative purposes, like fancy websites,
    > > numberless cases of black Belgian ale, Your money goes to the riders who go to world¹s, period,
    > end of
    > > story.

    Hey,

    What makes me think that the same thing that happened last year, couldn't happen again. Didn't one
    of the athletes travel all the way there, oly to be sidelined for not doing quarterly UCI medical
    tests???? I have better uses for my hard earned money than funding an extravagent junket for some
    really self-absorbed LOSERS. What's are best shot, 25th place in the master fattie category???

    Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

    S-R Elect 2004

  7. Joey D'Antoni wrote:

    >>USA Cycling will underwrite the cost of travel for its automatic qualifiers -- elites Jonathan
    >>Page and Alison Dunlap, U23¹s Jesse Anthony and Jeremy Powers, and juniors Jamey Driscoll and
    >>Tucker Thomas. But USAC¹s discretionary picks, to be announced Jan. 7, 2004, will be required to
    >>pay a non-refundable $3,500 for the honor of wearing stars-and-stripes kit when they hit the
    >>trenches in France.
    >>

    > Patrick--
    >
    > I know this is a USAC thing, and there's nothing you can do about it, BUT--why the hell does it
    > cost $3500 to fly to France to do a bike race or two? A plane ticket this time of year should cost
    > no more than $500 (I'll say a grand for easy math)
    >
    > A few days @ an okay hotel (which IIRC is paid for by the event organizer for Worlds), and a few
    > days of meals. There are incremental costs for transporting more riders, but I don't think they
    > cost that much.
    >
    > So my real question is why is USAC raking people over the coals for these costs to go to do the
    > World Championships?
    >
    > Joey D'Antoni

    Bureaucratic overhead. That paper doesn't shuffle itself, ya know.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Joey D'Antoni) wrote:

    > Patrick--
    >
    > I know this is a USAC thing, and there's nothing you can do about it, BUT--why the hell does it
    > cost $3500 to fly to France to do a bike race or two? A plane ticket this time of year should cost
    > no more than $500 (I'll say a grand for easy math)
    >
    > A few days @ an okay hotel (which IIRC is paid for by the event organizer for Worlds), and a few
    > days of meals. There are incremental costs for transporting more riders, but I don't think they
    > cost that much.
    >
    > So my real question is why is USAC raking people over the coals for these costs to go to do the
    > World Championships?
    >
    > Joey D'Antoni

    Hey, Joey,

    That's a very good question, one that Mountain Bike/Bicycling's Joe Lindsey has been trying to get
    USAC to answer -- unsuccessfully, so far. Keep an eye on his column at www.mountainbike.com, 'cause
    he's still asking it. Incidentally, if I recall correctly, Charles Pelkey at VeloNews was looking
    into airfare a couple of weeks back and found tickets under $500.

  9. Patrick O'Grady wrote:

    > I forgot about the Irish, who didn't learn to walk upright until the
    > For Irish Catholics: Visit the ACF at www.bikegeek.org or
    > For Irish Protestants: Send a check or money order to the American

    You won't be gettin' many donations from the Irish Muslims such as Sean Bin Laden and Osama
    O'Shaugnessy then?

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Patrick O'Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tom
    > Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Your web site could stand less crap and more easy way to get a
    mailing
    > > address to send some bucks. Geez, you geeks are all alike.
    >
    > Saints preserve us,
    >
    > I forgot about the Irish, who didn't learn to walk upright until the English invented the
    > wheelbarrow (Kunich IS an Irish name, is it
    not?*)

    After a fashion you O'Grady you.

    > For Irish Catholics: Visit the ACF at www.bikegeek.org or www.maddogmedia.com/acf.html, click on
    > the PayPal logo, click on the
    "Send
    > Money" button, then follow the instructions (you'll need our e-mail address:
    > [email protected]).
    >
    > For Irish Protestants: Send a check or money order to the American Cyclo-cross Foundation, account
    > number 103-555-5, Colorado Mountain
    Bank,
    > 1000 Main Street, Westcliffe, CO 81252 (A big one, too, ye wee mean shites, who woon't gi'us the
    > steam off yeer piss durin' the famine
    so). Be
    > sure to include the ACF's account number on your check. Have a
    Catholic
    > explain the math, if ye can find one outside the H-Block so.
    Fookers.

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Padraig Declan O Gradaigh Geek-in-Chief and Druid Priest to: The American Cyclo-cross Foundation
    >
    > * Tomas O'Kunich has sent us donations in the past, more power to
    his arm;
    > may he be in Heaven a half-hour before the Devil knows he's dead. My mother was a Prod. It's all
    > for laughs, except for the part about
    giving
    > the lads and lassies enough money to cross the water in hopes of
    finding
    > the leprechaun squatting on the pot o' gold at the end of the
    rainbow.

    We Catholics don't use Paypal. They want you to convert to use it. I notice with typical Irish
    thoroughness you make an address so long that we have to use two envelopes to get it all on. And
    then there's no room left for the stamp without hiding the address.

    But I'm in a good mood since the ACLU sent me a membership card and an envelope to send a little
    something back to them in. So I'm including a little note that says: "Fat Chance Suckers".

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Now that you've had your say be sure and make it a good check. Leave the rubber chicken and
    check at home.

    "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tom Kunich"
    > > "Patrick O'Grady"
    > > > Fellow r.b.r. denizens:
    > > >
    > > > The 2003 nationals are history, and the American
    > > Cyclo-cross
    > > > Foundation is cranking up its annual drive to cyclo-cross
    world¹s Jan. 31-Feb. 1 in
    > > > France.
    > > >
    > > > USA Cycling will not underwrite the cost of travel for its
    automatic
    > > > qualifiers -- elites Jonathan Page and Alison Dunlap, U23¹s
    Jesse
    > > Anthony
    > > > and Jeremy Powers, and juniors Jamey Driscoll and Tucker Thomas.
    But
    > > > USAC¹s discretionary picks, to be announced Jan. 7, 2004, will
    be
    > > required
    > > > to pay a refundable $3,500 for the wearing
    > > stars-and-stripes
    > > > kit when they hit the trenches in France.
    > > >
    > > > So once again, the ACF is asking the U.S. cycling community for
    its
    > > help.
    > > > Last year, you helped us send $8,000 to the man who
    > > a couple of our partners are
    > > > seeing a warm and fuzzy feeling
    > > of
    > > > your generosity.
    > > >

    > > > CyclocrossWorld.com will kick off a 48-hour sale that will
    dedicate proceeds to the ACF.

    > > > "It's important that our world's-bound cyclo-cross athletes
    focus on
    > > > how they are going to get to Pont-Château, France," said CyclocrossWorld's Feddersen. "We
    > > have
    > > > strong prospects, and we are looking forward
    > > our
    > > > best performance yet right before midnight (EST)
    > > >

    > > T-shirt
    > > > designed for free by an obscure cartoonist with a questionable
    reputation. every sale goes to the ACF's fund for underwriting the U.S. team's
    > > annual
    > > > trip to world's.
    > > >
    > > > The purely altruistic among you can simply send a check to the
    ACF
    > > > account
    > > >
    > > > Finally, we reiterate our annual pledge to you: The ACF does
    > > spend your money for administrative purposes, like fancy websites,
    > > > numberless cases of black Belgian ale, Your money goes to the
    riders who go to world¹s, period,
    > > end of
    > > > story.
    >

    > Hey,
    >
    > What makes me think that the same thing that happened last year, couldn't happen again. Didn't
    > one of the athletes travel all the way there, oly to be sidelined for not doing quarterly UCI
    > medical tests???? I have better uses for my hard earned money than funding an extravagent junket
    > for some really self-absorbed LOSERS. What's are best shot, 25th place in the master fattie
    > category???
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Chumpion
    >
    > S-R Elect 2004

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    It would be interesting to know if they were making a profit off of us losers. Well, I've been made
    a sucker by better crooks than the USAC.

  13. Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > Patrick O'Grady wrote:
    >
    >> I forgot about the Irish, who didn't learn to walk upright until the

    >> For Irish Catholics: Visit the ACF at www.bikegeek.org or

    >> For Irish Protestants: Send a check or money order to the American
    >

    > You won't be gettin' many donations from the Irish Muslims such as Sean Bin Laden and Osama
    > O'Shaugnessy then?

    Or Irish Dyslexic Agnostics who wonder if there's such a thing as a 'dam god demia'