U.S., Israel to attack Iran’s nuclear infrastructure

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Wurm, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Here we go again.

Tags:

2. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

waittaminute, ya sayin' israel attacked iran in '81?

wonder what page of your kids history texts this is on?

the bush 1 war on iraq is in there though, with reason for us invasion being stated as iraq having attacked iran and kuwait.

i can only guess the reasons for mobilizing the us military are based on, er, who the us is friendly with and not what they do in terms of warfare...

was it not bush and his ever changing cast of the family 'n friends syndicate who accused those of holding opposing views as being

"revisionist historians?"

but this is all too complicated for any latent pinko idealist peacenik to comprehend, as i am sure any official press release would inform us.

so this is the face of us and israeli "diplomacy" then?
    comforting.

3. Wurm

Wurm New Member

I don't see in the article where the author said Israel attacked Iran in '81, but only:

"Mass air and missile attacks would badly damage Iran’s nuclear capability, but probably not put it out of business for good, as did Israel’s 1981 attack on Iraq’s sole reactor."

...unless you were being 'tongue-in-cheek' again. (?) ;)

4. Carrera

Carrera New Member

As ever, there are two sides to this problem. You can certainly understand the Iranians feeling a need to have a nuclear weapon when the Bush Administration invaded Iraq and has been threatening to impose friendly regimes in the Middle East.
    But where the Iranians really burned their bridges was by the declaration by which they stated Israel should be wiped off the map. To most people that would indicate the endorsement and intention of genocide.
    The implications are that Russia has had to totally rethink its intention of doing business with Iran. For instance, Russia has a huge Jewish population and many Russian Jews live in Israel or do business in Israel. Wiping Israel off the map isn't something that would work to the advantage of Russia so now both China and Russia oppose any notion of a nuclear Iran.
    The problem is Iran (unlike Pakistan or India) has shown itself to be too unstable to win the trust or support of either China, the E.U. or Russia. They really made a huge mistake coming out with such statements that defy reason or sanity, or grasp of reality.
    You simply can't go around wiping people off the map in the modern world, no matter what your differences may be. This is madness.

5. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Sounds like a case of "Pot, meet Kettle", no? Whereas the Iranian holy nit-wit made his ill-advised statement vis-a-vis Israel, prior to that you had the Bush junta not only threatening but actually bombing Iraq off the map, and is still trying to finish the task. It's "hard work", this madness.

And where do you get your information from?:

This from BBC News I think is more accurate:

Link

China is not going to lean on Iran for anything but petroleum products, because China doesn't give a panda's ass whether Iran has nuclear powerplants, nuclear weapons, or fights off the coming US attacks with paintball guns. So long as they have access to Iran's oil & gas output, they'll look the other way.

Bush's insanity - should he get between China and her sources of fossil fuels - will be THE problem.

Please do us all a favor Carrera - stay off the keyboard if you don't know what you're talking about.

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Russia and China ain't gonna back Britain or the USA over Iran.

The fact of the matter is that Putin and the Chinese have oil agreements in place with Iran and they're not going to support sanctions against Iran.

In addition the EU, has been for several years, attempting to negotiate with Iran over it's intent to refine Uranium.

The chickens from Iraq are coming home to roost.
    Bush reminds me of the boy that cried "wolf" : he did it once in Iraq and it was a lie.
    The international community have no appetite for a showdown with Iran.
    The Russian offer on Uranium is the best offer in town and it will be used to break the impasse.

If one reads the body language, Bush hasn't got the stomach for the fight in Iraq (they're bringing home the troops
    and leaving Iraq in an unholy mess - excuse the pun).

7. Carrera

Carrera New Member

"And where do you get your information from?:"

I'm possibly the only guy up at 4.00 a.m. watching ABC News, BBC News, listening to foreign media broadcasts and reading papers. I keep in touch with what's going on.
    Really, one angle on all of this is worth considering. Rather than viewing a conflict between the U.S. and Iran, try considering what we might call "the conflict between fundamentalism and secularism."
    Firstly, I'm informed a wave of Christian fundamentalism is sweeping throughout the U.S. at an unprecedented level. Now they even have religious hip-hop raves in New York where people rap to themes about being born again. Teachers who have lectured on Darwinism have been sometimes forced out of schools and many people think the only way the Democrats can beat the Republicans is to produce a biblical libertarian evangelist.
    Then you have the clerics in Iran and the religious conflict in the Middle East.
    Put it all together and you get a big spark.
    The deep rooted problem is that since the fall of the USSR and advance of capitalism, people all over the world are turning either to straight religion or religious fundamentalism. Slowly our freedoms are being eroded. The Government in this country is intent upon passing laws on blasphemy to prosecute people who have been deemed to stir up religious reaction by what they say in word or print.
    And that's worrying we're heading in such a direction. :(

8. Carrera

Carrera New Member

"Russia and China ain't gonna back Britain or the USA over Iran."

Let's wait and see. I heard on the news today Russia has become unexpectedly bellicose towards Iran and only China is shrugging its shoulders. This is really murky waters. It looks like Iran will be reported to the security council but, after that, it's not clear what action will be taken. It's hoped that in the face of such huge unity over the issue, Iran will have to back down. If not, then we have the problem as to what steps will be taken and only then there may be splits in the alliance.

9. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Carrera, you need to get real with what's happening as far as news. Wake up dude, I know you've got it in ya.

10. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

No way, Israel and the USA are going to let Europe take care of this themselves; you guys are still closer than us, after all.

Let's see if u can do a better job and have learned anything from WWII, as to where diplomacy can start and end.

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Europe has been engaged with Iran for the past number of years - through a Tripartite negotiations (France/Germany/UK) with Iran.

These negotiations and discussions have been going on for the last few years.

It is my belief that the Russian offer to enrich Uranium for Iran will ultimately settle this - what I believe - is a storm in a teacup.

If indeed Iran are trying to gain nuclear weapons, i believe that they have that right.
    After all Mordacai Vanunu has told us that the Israeli's have them.
    Therefore it is only right that Iran should have them.

12. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

Perhaps israel could do a deal with iran.
    We won't make nuclear weapons if you don't.

13. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

Ever heard of NEVER AGAIN Stevebaby? I don't think that is going to be on the table, ever.

14. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

Come to think of it; whom said that whom should be driven from the face of the earth?

COULD IT BE................????????????

15. darkboong

darkboong New Member

Golda Meir or Ben Gurion ? Not sure which one...