U.S. Route 66 solo tour completed.

vinyl_theif

Mar 28, 2007
Hi members.
I've just completed U.S. route 66! Departed Chicago 23rd Aug & arrived at California Santa Monica 17th Sep, hard work, long days, & yes, hot water to drink from my bottles in the Mohave section, but all worth it!! Pictures & stories galore.
Best parts, New Mexico & Arizona. Amboy Crater was??? HOT, certainly got a sense of acheivement making the cafe at Ludlow, kipped at an RV park at Nwebury Springs that night.

Chain of rocks bridge was good to see after viewing it so much in the books. The route 66 museum at Clinton was well worth a visit, although i missed the Cadilac Ranch at Amarillo as went wrong out of town :-(

People in US were really friendly, from the vicar who let me camp behind his church at Pecos (NM) to Jan + John in Arizona, who let me sleep on their sofa, after cooking a dinner for me.

Awesome time!!!

Fly back to UK at 18:30 tonight, saturday 20th......back to the grind stone Monday!!

Like to do the GDMBR route next year.

Mark Wallis, UK.

vinyl_theif said:
Hi members.
I've just completed U.S. route 66! Departed Chicago 23rd Aug & arrived at California Santa Monica 17th Sep, hard work, long days, & yes, hot water to drink from my bottles in the Mohave section, but all worth it!! Pictures & stories galore.
Best parts, New Mexico & Arizona. Amboy Crater was??? HOT, certainly got a sense of acheivement making the cafe at Ludlow, kipped at an RV park at Nwebury Springs that night.

Chain of rocks bridge was good to see after viewing it so much in the books. The route 66 museum at Clinton was well worth a visit, although i missed the Cadilac Ranch at Amarillo as went wrong out of town :-(

People in US were really friendly, from the vicar who let me camp behind his church at Pecos (NM) to Jan + John in Arizona, who let me sleep on their sofa, after cooking a dinner for me.

Awesome time!!!

Fly back to UK at 18:30 tonight, saturday 20th......back to the grind stone Monday!!

Mark Wallis, UK.
Glad to hear your trip was successful ... and, that you survived crossing the Mojave!

vinyl_theif said:
Hi members.

Awesome time!!!

Mark Wallis, UK.
Good for you. I did Rt66 back in the early 90s. One of the best experiences of my life.