UCI Announcement.... they will take no action...

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Sep 9, 2005.

1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

UCI have just announced they will take no action against Lance Armstrong... the case is over.... further details as they come to hand…..

WBT first with the news !

Tags:

2. bobke

bobke New Member

You're clairvoyant!

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/8847.0.html

like we knew all along...
    UCI is gonna kick some ass as to who leaked what and they know who the other positives are...

now lets all relax and get ready for Lance to ride the Giro!
    too bad for Basso :)

3. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

exhale.... deep breaths...... yes I think we all have to move on now..... including Armstrong..... do you think he'll ride the Tour Down Under next year ? LOL !
    [size=-1]

"Asked what if any sanction Armstrong could be given by the UCI, Verbruggen told France's Le Figaro newspaper: "The normal sanction - if you can prove that someone has tested positive (two years). But what we have here can not be used as proof."[/size]

[size=-1]He added: "It's not wise to condemn someone who hasn't tested positive in a legal sense." "[/size]

4. davidbod

davidbod New Member

More questions for the lab and WADA:

Verbruggen, who is known to be close to Armstrong, meanwhile said the UCI could not sanction the 33-year-old Texan and instead seemed more intent on pointing the finger at whoever ordered the tests on the 1999 samples to be carried out.

He even pointed the finger at World Anti Doping Agency chief Dick Pound for his handling of the affair.

"We're going to be looking further into this affair," Verbruggen added. "It's another heavy blow to cycling so we have to take it all the way. And I also want to know who exactly it was who gave out this information. " Verbruggen said he was also against the idea of using retroactive testing to sanction athletes for achievements in previous years.

"I'm not for limitless dope testing. Otherwise, we just wouldn't get to the end of it," he said.

"We have the names of the other riders," he said. "We're waiting for answers to our questions from the laboratory to see what can and should be done."

Based on what he has said hear, like I have said in previous posts, the other riders will NOT BE NAMED. And in the end this whole affair becomes as it has from the beginning a Lance Armstrong smear campaign.

5. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

The UCI not taking action against six positive samples is the heaviest ''blow to cycling.''

A champion doper gets away with not even a slap on the wrist.

6. JensCph

JensCph New Member

This is the only outcome that was ever possible. There is absolutely no doubt that UCI has no legal leg to stand on if they acted.

I feel pretty sure that LA *did* dope himself in 1999, and probably later as well (although in a different manner to offset the improved testing methods). But rules are rules, and the UCI know it.

What they should do from now on is change their procedures. From 2006, they should - in addition to the normal test - store 2 sealed blood samples. And then make official and legally binding tests 5 years later with the testing technology that are available then. This is a neccessary step. This type of doping will always be a few steps ahead of the testing procedures of the time, so only the threat of better tests in the future will be a proper deterent. The point being, that the riders should know about it *now*, and not as a retroactively applied witchhunt.

My official guesstimate(tm) is that about 30% of the current riders today are using some form of doping in the TdF.

7. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

"We have the names of the other riders," he said. "We're waiting for answers to our questions from the laboratory to see what can and should be done."

It reeks of a cover up doesn't it ! The same as 1996 open letter from the President of the French Cycling Federation into widespread usage of EPO, the 1996 investigation into Dr. Ferrari, 1998 Festina Affair, 2000 USPS dumping of banned products, 2003 Cofidis Affair, 2004 Phonak affair with Hamilton and Perez. Where does it end ? When will Verbruggen take some responsibility. He was involved in all of these cases and each and every time he has said there is not a wide spread problem and that the UCI or the athlete has nothing to answer for. Oh dear…..

....but what else was he supposed to do when he has accepted money from the man in question ? What would US cycling do when the president owns a stake in Tailwind sports.... ? Every base has been covered.

8. velofan

velofan New Member

The UCI is a farce, WADA is a farce, the IOC is a farce.

This statement sends a clear message to the peloton that all the antidoping methods and procedures can and will be beaten.

"have at it boys! We've got our heads so deeply buried in the sand you've got absolutely nothing to worry about!"

9. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Yeah totally agreed. I allready said it weeks ago......and well they did it. UCI IS A FARCE!!!!!!!!!

Nothing but a cover-up. But this WILL be taken into account in the other lawsuits and LA won't be an happy men in france.......if he ever will go back to france!!

IF L'equipe has some balls they would just say who gave the documents to them and reveal the other names. Haha can you imagine what it will be when the UCI DID leak the documents.......then we have an even bigger crisis.....

All the witchdoctors needs to be removed from the sport. Benjo Maso wrote on RBR that he heard that Leblanq wanted to kick all the clients of Ferrari out of the tour when he found out in 2001 that LA was also a client of Ferrari. So why didn't he do that..........LA was allready to big probably!!! (shows again that inside the cycling world people know what Ferrari does....!!!)

That's why Leblanq is an hypocrit.....everyone knows what goes on inside the sport and they all blame each other to not reveal there own secrets....

What a joke the UCI.........

10. Rudy

Rudy New Member

Why don't we just take this approach then...how about shoot them first then ask questions later. :rolleyes:

11. VeloFlash

VeloFlash New Member

The UCI would have taken legal advice. Their announced position would have been the only outcome.

They are bound by their own anti-doping rules of 1999 and without a secure "A" sample and an intact and secure "B" sample they could not present evidence to satisfy standards of proof that Armstrong was in violation of the rules and should be sanctioned.

However, there is a much lower standard of proof, the balance of probabilities, operating in the civil courts and arbitration where the basis of Armstrong's claim is that he has not doped. Wait and see if Armstrong withdraws his claims in those civil litigations.

12. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Well it's more, cause the commentators of Sporza say that they think (know) that more then 50% of the peloton uses EPO........

Oh the commentator is a former pro (hans de clerq) and the other is allready 20 years in the business.........

13. fatboy61

fatboy61 New Member

As someone who has seen every stage of every edition of the TDU, I can say I sincerely hope not . To Lance, his bodyguards, minders, PR people, spiritual advisers, feng shui consultants, Paul Sherwyn and Sheryl Cow..."thanks but no thanks".

14. Bjorn P.Dal

Bjorn P.Dal New Member

15. meehs

meehs New Member

Is this any surprise really? It shouldn't be! The UCI can't possibly take any action! Why? Lots of reasons!
    1. The samples were to have been anonymous.
    2. It was specified in advance that the samples were to be used for test verification purposes only and that any results could not and would not be connected to a specific cyclist or used to incriminate a cyclist.
    3. There are no "A" samples with which to verify the "B" samples.
    4. The documents showing the tests results were not to have been made available to anyone outside of WADA and the UCI and were somehow mysteryously "leaked" to L'Equipe.
    5. The document linking the test results to Armstrong has not been authenticated.
    6. There is no conclusive study to verify that tests on six year old frozen urine samples are conclusive (yeah, I know the experts say that they're accurate and reliable and I tend to believe them but the fact remains that it hasn't been sceintifically proven).
    7. There is no way to prove that the samples haven't been tampered with over the last six years (I'm not saying that I think the samples have been tampered with, only stating the facts).
    That's just a few of the reasons. Those who really thought that actions would be taken against Armstrong with the facts as they exist were kidding themselves and a lot of you were victims of wishful thinking. I'm sorry! I'm not saying that LA is innocent (or guilty for that matter) nor am I saying that what happened is right. I'm only saying that with the "evidence" that exists, there was no way that the UCI could place any sanctions on Armstrong or strip him of his titles. No way!

Hey Ullefan! How do you like my dog? HE'S LOOKING AT YOU!!! :D

16. lance_for_8th

lance_for_8th New Member

17. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

That dog is nasty. :(

I don't believe the malarki that you're impartial. You seem happy now that they can't take action because of a technicality. Fact remains, I believe L'equipe when they say that six positives belong to LA. This doesn't change that FACT.
    Now LA's cheerleaders will continue on like nothing happened. Watch for the Lance - PR machine over the next 24 to 48 hours capitalising on this disgraceful decision.

18. bobke

bobke New Member

Deafening silence from Lance detractors.
    The point here in not simply that UCI is not taking action, and according to the detractors "could not" take action.
    The UCI never said they will not take action.

But what is interesting are the following points:
    1. UCI points out that Dick Pound violated the ethics and privacy code.
    2. The lab violated the privacy code.
    3. UCI has received no official documents, suggesting none exist.
    4. The lab is in trouble for violating codes of research and ethics.
    4a. Someone gained access to the control number sheets fraudulently by representing they has Lance's permission. This would likely be a criminal offense in France.
    5. L'Equipe lied in print, as pointed out by UCI, by claiming wrong dates as sources of when they knew what, leaving them open for lawsuits.
    6. There is no official verification of lab secrecy or protocol leaving everything open until UCI gets the info they have requested.
    7. The fact that no one has sent UCI any info, which would be easy to do, just Fed-Ex or USPS (he he) overnight the lab results with accompanying letter verufying all procedures... suggests everyone is stalling and consulting their lawyers because they could not only be sued by LA but in France subject to harsh legal penalties, and perhaps lose their license to do the labwork and lucrative contracts with ASO and PATENTS ON THE LAB PROCEDURES WHICH THEY LEASE ALL OVER THE WORLD for their perfect and infallible EPO tests which has to be corrected every year it is so full of holes.

The big hammer has fallen and hopefully will influence the Tyler Hamilton hearing.

Lance is innocent.
    BTW, so is Tyler.
    Deal with it all you sh#tweasals.

19. meehs

meehs New Member

Awww... you don't like him?

I admit that I'm not 100% impatial (I am from the US afterall). I never really said or even meant to imply that I was totally impartial. What I did say is that I've been been trying to remain (at least somewhat) objective, which you and your fellow LA haters obviously have not.

FWIW: I have no doubt that the six samples tested positive for EPO and that they belong to Armstrong. I've said that before. Where we differ is I think that most or all of his competitors were using the same stuff. That is I'm not naive enough to think that his competitors were clean and that he only won because he doped.

Maybe they should go back and check Ullrich's and Hinault's and Indurain's and Merckx's, (etc., etc...) samples using modern testing methods. Then the Armstrong Haters would really have nothing to bitch about.

20. bing181

bing181 New Member

With you there ....

The level of reasoned, informed, objective argument re this whole business is about as miserable and pathetic as it gets. Unfortunately, it's not just internet conspiracy theorists shooting their mouths off, it's idiots like Dick Pound and Mark Madiot.

Nice one UCI.

B