UCI Announcement.... they will take no action...

Read the **** Pound Interview at L'equipe Des Cons
www.lequipedescons.com
Sept 10, 2005

**** Pound Speaks with Wisdom and Candor

**** Pound, President of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) took a moment to speak with L’Equipe des Cons and share some of his insights into the doping scandal of Lance Armstrong as well as reflections on his role in running WADA.

L’Equipe des Cons:

Mr. Pound, you have been running WADA for several years now. To what do you attribute your success?

****:

I’ve never been one for rules, procedures and due process and that has served me well most of the time.

EdC:

Would you care to explain?

****:

Well before I was president of WADA I was a baggage screener. A very talented baggage screener at that. You see, I could profile someone and tell right away if they had contraband items even without an X-Ray or physical search. Just by looking at a guy, sizing him up, I could tell if he was guilty. I was like a bloodhound. I would slap the cuffs on people I thought were offenders and hand them over to local police officers for processing. They were so annoying though, wanting to see evidence that would hold up in court, something about due process, and there was this thing called chain of custody that I always seemed to break. Never really got it, so I quit, well I was sort of forced to quit.

EdC:

Wow, that never would have happened in France. So what happened then?

****:

I was picked up by WADA and found the fit to be perfect from the beginning. You see, I no longer had to deal with the law, which is a pain in the rear as far as I’m concerned. We created these things called guidelines and codes. Since they aren’t laws, nobody cares if I uphold them or not. Heck that lab in France didn’t follow them and that’s O.K. in my book. Good intution and freedom of expression are much more important qualities for regulatory authorities.

EdC:

So how do you keep sports drug free if you don’t follow those codes and guidelines?

****:

I already told you. I like to profile an athlete and go after him. I just know who’s doping. I don’t care how many clean tests a guy may have, I just know…feel it in my bones. Take Lance Armstrong. He’s cocky, doesn’t seem to like me much, wins too much and he dopes, just ask the French. That’s why I made the statements about the test results you guys dug up. It confirms my intuitions. Forget those A and B sample thingies.

EdC:

Mr. Pound you’re a wise man, matter of fact I think you'd be an excellent candidate for L’Equipe des Cons man of the year award. Hope to speak to you again soon.

****:

It's been a pleasure.

She goes onto say.....

SPORT1
: Are you suggesting he has a personal ‘drug ring’ for a performance drugs user ? President to user ?

Schenk: The performance drugs-analysis of the French laboratory is secured after the announcements of professor Schänzer and also other well known expert scientific. There there are no doubts. If Verbruggen or his ‘ring’ could suggest that the analysis-method was in doubt, they would have done so a long time ago. However the UCI searched only for the informants, that brought the affair at the light. Sports legal cannot be used a or to impose sanctions because of the missing B-samples. (no a and b samples together)

http://www.sport1.de/coremedia/generator/www.sport1.de/Sportarten/Radsport/__Berichte/Interview/rad_20sylvia_20schenk_20interview_20mel.html

whiteboytrash said:
It goes from bad to worse for Armstrong... dodgy financial dealings... oh dear...

Schenk criticises UCI over Armstrong case

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/sep05/sep15news3

Sylvia Schenk, ex-President of the Bund Deutsche Radfahrer and member of the UCI management committee, has criticized the handling of the latest doping charges against Lance Armstrong, saying that the UCI and its president Hein Verbruggen "are less interested in the resolution of the Armstrong doping case than they are in finding the leak."
In an interview with Sport1.de, she said that the UCI is apparently looking for whoever it was who helped L'Equipe put a name to the samples. "Verbruggen is making progress slower than expected," she said. "At first they thought it was someone in the French Ministry. But the informer can also have been someone who works for the UCI." Schenk has previously denied to Cyclingnews that it could be her.

Schenk noted further that since 1998, much has been done to combat doping in cycling, "But everything is suddenly different when it comes to Armstrong...There is obviously a close relationship to Armstrong. For example, the UCI took a lot of money from Armstrong - as far as I know, $500,000. Now of course there is speculation that there are financial relationships to Armstrong as well as to the American market."

In addition, Schenk said that the German teams T-Mobile and Gerolsteiner had potential problems getting their Pro Tour licenses last year. The UCI's guidelines violate EC rules, she said, for example requiring the teams to hire all riders as salaried employees rather than as freelance workers. The two German teams wanted to protest that requirement, but, "The UCI threatened both teams with non-participation in the Pro Tour. And that would have upset the sponsors."

LOL, thats funny.

allegroman said:
Read the **** Pound Interview at L'equipe Des Cons
www.lequipedescons.com
Sept 10, 2005

**** Pound Speaks with Wisdom and Candor

**** Pound, President of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) took a moment to speak with L’Equipe des Cons and share some of his insights into the doping scandal of Lance Armstrong as well as reflections on his role in running WADA.

L’Equipe des Cons:

Mr. Pound, you have been running WADA for several years now. To what do you attribute your success?

****:

I’ve never been one for rules, procedures and due process and that has served me well most of the time.

EdC:

Would you care to explain?

****:

Well before I was president of WADA I was a baggage screener. A very talented baggage screener at that. You see, I could profile someone and tell right away if they had contraband items even without an X-Ray or physical search. Just by looking at a guy, sizing him up, I could tell if he was guilty. I was like a bloodhound. I would slap the cuffs on people I thought were offenders and hand them over to local police officers for processing. They were so annoying though, wanting to see evidence that would hold up in court, something about due process, and there was this thing called chain of custody that I always seemed to break. Never really got it, so I quit, well I was sort of forced to quit.

EdC:

Wow, that never would have happened in France. So what happened then?

****:

I was picked up by WADA and found the fit to be perfect from the beginning. You see, I no longer had to deal with the law, which is a pain in the rear as far as I’m concerned. We created these things called guidelines and codes. Since they aren’t laws, nobody cares if I uphold them or not. Heck that lab in France didn’t follow them and that’s O.K. in my book. Good intution and freedom of expression are much more important qualities for regulatory authorities.

EdC:

So how do you keep sports drug free if you don’t follow those codes and guidelines?

****:

I already told you. I like to profile an athlete and go after him. I just know who’s doping. I don’t care how many clean tests a guy may have, I just know…feel it in my bones. Take Lance Armstrong. He’s cocky, doesn’t seem to like me much, wins too much and he dopes, just ask the French. That’s why I made the statements about the test results you guys dug up. It confirms my intuitions. Forget those A and B sample thingies.

EdC:

Mr. Pound you’re a wise man, matter of fact I think you'd be an excellent candidate for L’Equipe des Cons man of the year award. Hope to speak to you again soon.

****:

It's been a pleasure.

The whole episode just stinks. I've not been following much lately on here since I'm currently swamped with work, but if I didn't already dislike Armstrong for his arrogance and bullying, these latest revelations about his financial connections just make things worse. This whole thing is also overshadowing the Vuelta which is turning out to be a more exciting race than recent TdFs.