UCI drops kilo and 500m events from Olympics

Dave H <[email protected]> wrote:
> You are very wrong on this one. At the recent Worlds in L.A. the kilo got
> the house rocking, spectators bangin the boards. It is a true track event.
> power speed and endurance. I like watching the madison but the average
> spectator can't follow it. I was talking with Des Dickie. ( US Nat coach) he
> said that to his knowledge MOST federations voted to cut the Team pursuit or
> the Individual pursuit. The UCI did what they wanted to. Go figure

That was one of the sessions I went to with my 10 year old kid. I
was worried a little because kilos at something like a state
championship are boring as hell. But the house was rocking and
she grooved on the tension and anticipation. And there's no
strategy to figure out. Maybe that's not a plus, but in no time
at all she was checking splits and banging on the boards.

We also saw Points and Keirin that day and we talked a lot about
what was going on. Even among the track savvy group I was with
there was a lot of discussion about strategy. Which is cool, but
maybe not the best when a lot of people from outside the sport
are present.

But I think the editorial that Knapp and Stevenson wrote at
Cyclingnews was dead on. It saves the host nation from forging
two set of medals. Nothing more.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

The events are not being cut from Worlds or World Cups.