UCI helmet rule change?

Mark Janeba

Guest
In the past year or two, Tour riders were allowed to remove their
helmets at the base of an uphill finish, which they did en masse at the
allowed point.

This year everyone looks to have kept their helmet up Courchevel.

Rule change?

Mark

"Mark Janeba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the past year or two, Tour riders were allowed to remove their
> helmets at the base of an uphill finish, which they did en masse at the
> allowed point.
>
> This year everyone looks to have kept their helmet up Courchevel.
>
> Rule change?
>
> Mark

yes

Mark Janeba wrote:
> In the past year or two, Tour riders were allowed to remove their
> helmets at the base of an uphill finish, which they did en masse at the
> allowed point.
>
> This year everyone looks to have kept their helmet up Courchevel.
>
> Rule change?

After seeing this picture of Michael "Space Alien" Rasmussen
during the 2004 Dauphine Libere:

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04dauphineSt4-002000

the UCI changed the rule to protect the viewing public.

> In the past year or two, Tour riders were allowed to remove their
> helmets at the base of an uphill finish, which they did en masse at the
> allowed point.
>
> This year everyone looks to have kept their helmet up Courchevel.
>
> Rule change?
>
> Mark

Where there is sun, it's cooler to keep the helmets on. The foam acts
as an insulater, and the vents force more air over the head. Now if you're
talking about weight, that's a different issue.

Mark Janeba wrote:

> In the past year or two, Tour riders were allowed to remove their
> helmets at the base of an uphill finish, which they did en masse at the
> allowed point.
>
> This year everyone looks to have kept their helmet up Courchevel.
>
> Rule change?
>
> Mark

To save the spectators from seeing the veins bulging atop the Chicken's
head. It really is for the best. Guy should grow some hair...

[email protected] wrote:

> Mark Janeba wrote:
>
>>In the past year or two, Tour riders were allowed to remove their
>>helmets at the base of an uphill finish, which they did en masse at the
>>allowed point.
>>
>>This year everyone looks to have kept their helmet up Courchevel.
>>
>>Rule change?

> After seeing this picture of Michael "Space Alien" Rasmussen
> during the 2004 Dauphine Libere:
>
> http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04dauphineSt4-002000
>
> the UCI changed the rule to protect the viewing public.

D'oh! made my post before seeing yours. :)

[email protected] wrote:

> Mark Janeba wrote:
>
>>In the past year or two, Tour riders were allowed to remove their
>>helmets at the base of an uphill finish, which they did en masse at the
>>allowed point.
>>
>>This year everyone looks to have kept their helmet up Courchevel.
>>
>>Rule change?

> After seeing this picture of Michael "Space Alien" Rasmussen
> during the 2004 Dauphine Libere:
>
> http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04dauphineSt4-002000
>
> the UCI changed the rule to protect the viewing public.

Thanks. I was sure there was a good reason. :)

Seriously, though, I thought it was Kivilev's death that prompted the
UCI to adopt a hardshell rule - was there another event beside's
Rasmussen's appearance that prompted the uphill helmets-optional rule
change?

Mark

I still saw one rider unclip his strap on the climb, but none of the
contenders did, as opposed to last year.

-ilan