UCI Lawyer says Armstrong should be cleared of EPO accusation!!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, May 31, 2006.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

The print version of L'Equipe this morning - states that they stand by their word over the story.
    So it's there in black and white as they say.

And you never qualified your point about L'Euipe not publishing on their website in your initial post.

2. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

You still haven't provided me in citations of this "witch-hunt" you describe by the French media. Should I take your word for it ? Like you should take the word of l’Equipe? :rolleyes:

I can name several athletes who were also persecuted throughout there careers by the media for doping. Most of the time the media was right !

Tim Montgomery didn't qualify for the 2000 Olympics then ran a world record in 2002. The doping scandal was reported in the media and then he didn't qualify for the 2004 Olympics. Eddie Merckx was reported to have taken performance enhancing drugs for most of his career and at one point was thrown out of the Giro for doing so.

But you know what... you know who has the biggest witch-hunt of all in references to your terms. Jan Ullrich. For 7+ years he has been the vilification of the German and International press for his performances. You tell me another cyclist who gets that sort of attention for finishing second ! So don’t come to me with your sob stories about Armstrong being lablled a drug cheat. The l’Equipe reported what they found nothing more and nothing less. Mr. Ullrich has been the butt of the German media for several years and he has handled it extremely well.

Armstrong gets a lot of positive media attention and he gets some dirt. It’s the life of a celeb. There has been no witch hunt on Armstrong. l’Equipe reported the facts as they found them with citations and evidence. If you don’t believe it that’s fine but stick to the facts like l'Equipe have and not to mass generalisations you may of heard somewhere.

3. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Trying to turn this document into something it isn't is really reaching.

I would think everyone on here would be outraged.
    The sport has used deceptive means to demonize Armstrong. Armstrong was a breathe of fresh air into the sport after the Festina Affair. This sport you love so much is considered a fraud to most of the sporting world. It lost it's respectability along the way. When you sit across the table with a fan of other sports, he does not respect your sport. He see's it for what it has shown it to be.

Then when the sport is taking on a new look, a revitalization with Armstrong winning , we discover in this latest report, that the sporting organizations are trying to bring it down again. And the newspaper that worked so hard to start all of this is now calling LA a liar. Unbelievable.

In light of the Saiz situation I would think everyone that is a fan of this sport would have jumped for joy hearing that a champion has been cleared. And the next time I read about someone wanting to have a clean sport, I am going to laugh because you do not know this sport. This is the sport of drugs. Cycling is the most drug filled sport the world has ever known. So when a rider is cleared, I would think that was a small victory for all of us.

Europeans need to look towards America if they think their sport cannot fall off into the wasteland. Look at track & field. Because of drugs the sport has practically died in the sporting public eyes. In this forum we have discussed the French lack of results.... Earlier this year someone posted a article about how a high percentage of the French public think cycling is dirty. Is there a connection between these 2 situations? Maybe the French do not care anymore.

I know many of you on this forum do not like to hear about it, but with LA being so well known, and LA is far more known the world over then all the other riders in the sport, has brought a lot of new money into the sport when everyone was pulling out.

Dislike Armstrong for many things cycling related....

The fact he has ushered in the concept of riding basically one race.

Be critical of Armstrong for being a team leader that expects his team to be alll about him/TDF.

Be critical of him for his outspokenness....

But this clearing of Armstrong is nothing but good for the sport and you as a fan considering how the sport itself was being torn down from the inside. Everyone of you needs to put away the forum in-fighting on this and consider this report a victory for cycling fans. Because very soon we may see a situation much larger then this report in the form of Saiz taking our sport back to the gutter again.

And you forum posters that defended WADA's actions before this report should be exceptionally upset. You trusted them for their word and what they were supposed to stand for. Now you know better. They made a mockery of your well meaning trust. They decieved you more then anyone.
    I know if the report would have went the other way I would have feel betrayed by Armstrong.

4. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Sorry......But the guy at the lab said that they targeted LA from the beginning. WADA, the French Ministry, and the paper. If being targeted is not a witch hunt, what is it?

5. rejobako

rejobako New Member

Strictly speaking, in my initial posts tweaking L'Equipe on the subject, which are at posts #24 and #265 in this thread, I did in fact make that qualification:

Your primary source of news is still printed materials? Must be tough driving that horse and buggy down to the newstand every morning. ;)

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Do you not prefer reading something which is in a tangible format?

I know that maybe print media is a thing of the past for some people - and is slower than say TV/Radio/Website but I prefer to read my news from a paper/journal.

And as for the horse and buggy - just making provision for when there's no oil
    for my Pinarello chain!

7. rejobako

rejobako New Member

Guilty secret: I do too. ;) When I worked in the field, I enjoyed going into the print room and getting the first edition off the press. Ink stains on my fingers still gives me warm and fuzzy feelings. I'm just sparring with you, but I nonetheless found it interesting that Vrijman's report left L'Equipe tongue-tied to the extent that it could not even mention its existence until the following day. News services typically pride themselves on disseminating information as quickly as possible -- the reason L'Equipe made an exception in this case is conspicuously apparent.

8. saluki

saluki New Member

In one thread you tell me that Ullrich is the most popular sports star in Germany and that he is more popular than Lance is in the US. Lim shows me a 2003 poll where the sports media in Germany votes him as the most popular German athelete. Now here you claim that he is abused and unrecognized. It's obvious that truth has no meaning for you. You will say anything in order to score points in your single, insane and overwhelming obsession - to bash DC and Lance.

9. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

There is a difference between what the adoring masses think and what the media writes.

10. saluki

saluki New Member

The sports media in Germany voted him as the most popular male athelete of 2003.

11. saluki

saluki New Member

Jan often impoves dramatically over the course of a 21 day race. Does that prove that he is doping during the race?

12. Dimos

Dimos New Member

Wow! More pages than the races... Amazing!
    Well, Lance was certainly chased by some journalists and media but I think it was mainly his fault. His arrogant stance was attracting curiousity at many people. I mean, for example, that if Simeoni says (under oath) that Dr. Ferrari was the one that helped him doping himself it doesn't necesserily mean that Dr. Ferrari dopes everyone. Though, if he's attacking Simeoni as if he had accused him personally (that was never the case) for doping then something's not going well.
    Anyway, it's all history. Doping tests protocols weren't held as they should have been so no-one can prove Lance guilty and frankly it doesn't matter anymore, now that Lance is retired.

13. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Lance's popularity in the US exceeds the expectations I could have ever imagined. He is close to Tiger and Michael Jordon. All sportsmen in this country acknowledge him. The yellow bands around so many wrists last year was a testament to this.

He has been on the TV talk show circuit as much as any athlete has. He drove the pace car at Indy.... [my phone rang and I missed it]

To become as popular as he has in a country the size of the US with so many sportsmen celebrities is amazing. And from a sport most Americans know so little about.

And to hang around with the US President as he did Bush , and he spent time with Bill Clinton too in NY....

A SNL show......

And when riding a bike you frequently hear "Yeah Lance" yelled at you from people.

14. saluki

saluki New Member

I agree.

15. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Neither Jordan nor Woods have accomplished what Lance has done for a cause like Cancer as in money for research and awareness.
    Even without his wins in Le Tour he has done a great deal with his life.

16. rejobako

rejobako New Member

Interesting circle that has played out in Armstrong's destiny. Cancer is no doubt the biggest setback of his life, but because of its effects on his body-type and psychological outlook it may very well have been the catalyst for all of his cycling success -- without which he never would have had the high profile necessary to do so much for cancer research . . . .

17. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Armstrong is one of those that can cash in on desparity in a positive way while another may have layed down and died.
    I believe that this is a part of his personality that he already had. Cancer just brought it out.

18. MJtje

MJtje New Member

I dunno if this was posted here before. But here the reaction of WADA:

World Anti-Doping Agency
    WADA Completely Rejects Vrijman Report

Montreal, 2 June 2006 - The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) today completely rejected the so-called “Vrijman report” submitted to the International Cycling Union (UCI) in relation to the publication appearing in L’Équipe in August 2005 that concluded Lance Armstrong had used EPO during the 1999 Tour de France.

WADA expressed its astonishment that the UCI would expect anyone to have the slightest confidence in the objectivity, methodology, analysis or conclusions of such a report, especially since UCI had had more than six weeks during which to review the draft report and to correct the many factual errors contained in it.

WADA’s preliminary conclusion is that the report is defamatory to the Agency, its officers and employees, as well as the accredited laboratory involved. WADA has taken legal advice regarding its recourses against the investigator and any organization, including UCI, that may publicly adopt its conclusions.

“WADA is an independent agency, comprised of equal representatives from the sports movement and the governments, which is concerned with the integrity of sport and the health of the athletes who practice it,” said WADA’s Chairman Richard W. Pound. “Our only interest in this matter is to determine the facts in an objective manner, whatever they may be. The Vrijman report is so lacking in professionalism and objectivity that it borders on farcical. Were the matter not so serious and the allegations it contains so irresponsible, we would be inclined to give it the complete lack of attention it deserves.”

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=pp&action=show&id=31252

19. rejobako

rejobako New Member

And in the category of "Least Surprising News of the Day":

WADA Completely Rejects Vrijman Report

And now our second category -- "Most Ironic Comment of the Decade":

The winner is, WADA's Chairman Richard W. Pound, who managed to keep a straight face while saying: "The Vrijman report is so lacking in professionalism and objectivity that it borders on farcical."

If I were Vrijman, I'd take Pound's retort and give it the attention it deserves in the bathroom after my morning constitutional, and then issue the following: "I don't know what Dick is complaining about. In preparing my report I strictly adhered to the same level of "professionalism and objectivity" that Mr. Pound employed in his muckracking campaign."

As for me, pass the popcorn and jujubes -- this is going to be fun!

20. bobke

bobke New Member

Yeah, I mean Dick Pound has repeatedly made a fool of himself by crossing the line, making publci pronouncements on cases before WADA and UCI (Tyler, Lance etc etc) and he has a zealots' mind frame, and a Joe McCarthy attitude toward routing out evil as HE sees it.
    This statement is pathetic and unprofessional full of exaggeration and hyperbole.
    Sad, he needs to go.
    WHo WOULD make a good director of WADA, how about taking some nominations?

Qualifications:
    ex athlete
    intelligent
    no doping scandals
    experience in administration and investigation

any ideas?