UCI misses an opportunity

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  3. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

  5. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

  6. Who is going to get to Wally*Mart with their branded bicycles next?

    NASCAR?
    UCI?
    WWF? (would you want a HULK HOGAN bike?)

    West Coast Choppers (motorcycles) kids bicycles is there.
    Honda has bicycles at Kmart.
    There have been Mercedes Benz bikes.
    BMW
    Denali
    Treks on VWs.

    or more likely, when will Wal*Mart buy NASCAR outright? And then a
    TV/Cable channel to show it on....

    NASCAR.
    Nitwits Accelerating the Speedy Consumption of Americas Resources.

  7. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Who is going to get to Wally*Mart with their branded bicycles next?
    >
    > NASCAR?
    > UCI?
    > WWF? (would you want a HULK HOGAN bike?)
    >
    > West Coast Choppers (motorcycles) kids bicycles is there.
    > Honda has bicycles at Kmart.
    > There have been Mercedes Benz bikes.
    > BMW
    > Denali
    > Treks on VWs.
    >
    > or more likely, when will Wal*Mart buy NASCAR outright? And then a
    > TV/Cable channel to show it on....
    >
    > NASCAR.
    > Nitwits Accelerating the Speedy Consumption of Americas Resources.

    So what pathetic bit of creativity do you have for F-1, Rally racing,
    Paris-Dakar etc...
    Must be nice know you're a superior human being.
    Bill C

  8. In article <[email protected]>,

    > Who is going to get to Wally*Mart with their branded bicycles next?
    >
    > NASCAR?
    > UCI?
    > WWF? (would you want a HULK HOGAN bike?)
    >
    > West Coast Choppers (motorcycles) kids bicycles is there.
    > Honda has bicycles at Kmart.
    > There have been Mercedes Benz bikes.
    > BMW
    > Denali
    > Treks on VWs.
    >
    > or more likely, when will Wal*Mart buy NASCAR outright? And then a
    > TV/Cable channel to show it on....
    >
    > NASCAR.
    > Nitwits Accelerating the Speedy Consumption of Americas Resources.

    Hm. NASCAR had a real image problem during the 1970s Energy Crisis,
    right up until Bill France pointed out that flying a football team
    cross-country used more fuel than the field in a NASCAR race.

    Lest we cycling fans feel superior, please observe the vehicle caravan
    surrounding any major bicycle race. I don't think it's quite 1 vehicle
    per rider in the TdF, but it's not that distant.

  9. xzzy

    xzzy Guest

    > NASCAR.
    > Nitwits Accelerating the Speedy Consumption of Americas Resources.

    Another acronym:
    NASCAR = NorthAmerican cycling fails to understand the importance of
    getting cycling into mainstream TV.

    John Bickmore

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Who is going to get to Wally*Mart with their branded bicycles next?
    >
    > NASCAR?
    > UCI?
    > WWF? (would you want a HULK HOGAN bike?)
    >
    > West Coast Choppers (motorcycles) kids bicycles is there.
    > Honda has bicycles at Kmart.
    > There have been Mercedes Benz bikes.
    > BMW
    > Denali
    > Treks on VWs.
    >
    > or more likely, when will Wal*Mart buy NASCAR outright? And then a
    > TV/Cable channel to show it on....
    >
    > NASCAR.
    > Nitwits Accelerating the Speedy Consumption of Americas Resources.

  10. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Lest we cycling fans feel superior, please observe the vehicle caravan
    > surrounding any major bicycle race. I don't think it's quite 1 vehicle
    > per rider in the TdF, but it's not that distant.

    When you think of ALL the support vehicles, it may be a 3 vehicle to 1 rider
    ratio. And it only gets bigger as the race goes on. It's probably close to
    1:1 just for the teams alone, then add the publicity caravan, all the
    support vehicles to assemble the finish area in the arrival town, support
    vehicles for the disassembly of the departing town (I assume they leapfrog
    each other), probably at least 40 gendarmes, commissaire vehicles, event
    staff vehicles, and press vehicles (even if not within the actual race
    caravan) including mobile TV production trucks and helicopters.

  11. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:20:02 +0200, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When you think of ALL the support vehicles, it may be a 3 vehicle to 1
    > rider
    > ratio. And it only gets bigger as the race goes on. It's probably close
    > 1:1 just for the teams alone, then add the publicity caravan, all the
    > support vehicles to assemble the finish area in the arrival town, support
    > vehicles for the disassembly of the departing town (I assume they
    > leapfrog
    > each other), probably at least 40 gendarmes, commissaire vehicles, event
    > staff vehicles, and press vehicles (even if not within the actual race
    > caravan) including mobile TV production trucks and helicopters.

    I actually tried to figure the ratio out at one event but had to give up

    But 3:1 sounds like somwhere in the ball park

    --
    Davey

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:20:02 +0200, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > When you think of ALL the support vehicles, it may be a 3 vehicle to 1
    > > rider
    > > ratio. And it only gets bigger as the race goes on. It's probably close
    > > 1:1 just for the teams alone, then add the publicity caravan, all the
    > > support vehicles to assemble the finish area in the arrival town, support
    > > vehicles for the disassembly of the departing town (I assume they
    > > leapfrog
    > > each other), probably at least 40 gendarmes, commissaire vehicles, event
    > > staff vehicles, and press vehicles (even if not within the actual race
    > > caravan) including mobile TV production trucks and helicopters.
    > >

    > I actually tried to figure the ratio out at one event but had to give up
    >
    > But 3:1 sounds like somwhere in the ball park

    And I think that will be all the NASCAR trash-talking we do here :).

    My other bike is a support vehicle,