UCI regs on permitted medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philip Taylor -

Did others see the horrendous swelling of Viatcheslav Ekimov's face during stage 18 of the TdF ? He
was stung on the lip by a wasp, and his backup team were unable to administer cortisone to reduce
the swelling and pain because it is on the UCI list of proscribed substances. Surely there is a
valid case for allowing proper medical treatment in cases such as this without the rider risking
expulsion from the race and/or subsequent penalt{y|ies} ?

** Phil.

Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP] tried to scribble ...

> Did others see the horrendous swelling of Viatcheslav Ekimov's face during stage 18 of the TdF ?
> He was stung on the lip by a wasp, and his backup team were unable to administer cortisone to
> reduce the swelling and pain because it is on the UCI list of proscribed substances. Surely there
> is a valid case for allowing proper medical treatment in cases such as this without the rider
> risking expulsion from the race and/or subsequent penalt{y|ies} ?
>
> ** Phil.

My wife and I have just been discussing this very thing. having just watched that same stage again,
as we missed the whole tour finish from Friday onwards ... Luckily we also didn't listenm to any
news or read any newsgroups either, so it was still an unknown result for us .. ;)

We reckon a rule could be introduced (Damn I _hate_ extra rules except when of _true_ benefit) that
allows a prescribed medicine to control injuries that occur during a race, with no penalty for that
drug being found, for however long that drug is normally retained in the body, in other races
subsequent drug testing to the one where the drug is administered ..

Or something similar ..

--
Digweed

Status
Not open for further replies.