UCI v ASO Paris-Nice, etc

benson

Jul 17, 2004
With the battle for control as heated as ever this is the time for the riders to come together and finally take charge of their own destiny. I'm amazed that there is no real rider's union. The "association" is a joke. The suits are exploiting the riders' sense of tradition so they can maintain control and/or make tremendous profits. It's also crazy that the owners of the races essentially make the rules. The riders have no rights, no representation, no protection. This is their time to seize their own destiny. Where is the cyclist's Prefontaine?

benson said:
With the battle for control as heated as ever this is the time for the riders to come together and finally take charge of their own destiny. I'm amazed that there is no real rider's union. The "association" is a joke. The suits are exploiting the riders' sense of tradition so they can maintain control and/or make tremendous profits. It's also crazy that the owners of the races essentially make the rules. The riders have no rights, no representation, no protection. This is their time to seize their own destiny. Where is the cyclist's Prefontaine?
Agreed. But with the recent decision by the "association" to race regardless of Pat's advice I don't see it happening soon enough. If they all sign that contract with ASO for Paris-Nice and then show up at TdF without Conto and Astana...then I think a precedent will have been set. The first team and/or big name rider to get bumped because of a hunch by the ASO may be the catalyst to unite the riders...but would it be too late?

Sad really...