Ugh! My Daughter dropped my bike!

Rback33

Jul 6, 2010
And now my crank derailer won't shift up.... I have Ultegra's on my 5200.... I will take it to the LBS this week.. I hate to think what this will cost me to fix and I already have about as much put into this as I can afford right now... On the bright side I didn't even yell and my 7 y/o... It was an accident and I knew it. I had asked her to hold it while I was airing up her tires on HER bike and... well.. stuff happens. Anyone one have any idea what this might cost to fix, knowing as little as you do? It will shift down fine btw... I always ride the big one out here, so being stuck on the small will kill me...:(

That really depends on what happened to it. At best it was just knocked out of alignment, which is something you might get fixed on goodwill or for a symbolic cost - if you don't educate yourself about and fix it yourself, plenty of net tutorials on derailer adjustment.

At worst, well that would be a bike with the FD attached to a braze-on, which has broken.

Otherwise a quick search showed an Ultegra FD for $70, and an 105 for $40. A longer search can probably improve those numbers.

Not exactly fun to part with, but not in the "arm-and-a-leg" cathegory either...

Likely just needs adjustment, which a good bike shop employee should be able to do pretty quickly. This is a good reason to patronize a good shop and buildup some good will for these silly little fixes that in some shops might require you to leave the bike there for 2 weeks before they will even look at it.

Even a really busy shop will have a few minutes for a quick adjustment. Fingers crossed for ya.

TKOS said:
Likely just needs adjustment, which a good bike shop employee should be able to do pretty quickly. This is a good reason to patronize a good shop and buildup some good will for these silly little fixes that in some shops might require you to leave the bike there for 2 weeks before they will even look at it.

Even a really busy shop will have a few minutes for a quick adjustment. Fingers crossed for ya.

Thanks for the replies guys! I have called the LBS and ran it by one of their guys. He is guessing it's a simple adjustment since we all do crash at some point... With any luck I am going to be out less than $50... The owner of the place is good friends with people I ride with so I know I will be treated fairly. I hope to watch what they do with it so I can learn to do some of this stuff myself. This was just not something I wanted to leap into right off the bat and try and fix on my own... my past history is that I makes things WORSE when I do that.

Rback33 said:
And now my crank derailer won't shift up.... I have Ultegra's on my 5200.... I will take it to the LBS this week.. I hate to think what this will cost me to fix and I already have about as much put into this as I can afford right now... On the bright side I didn't even yell and my 7 y/o... It was an accident and I knew it. I had asked her to hold it while I was airing up her tires on HER bike and... well.. stuff happens. Anyone one have any idea what this might cost to fix, knowing as little as you do? It will shift down fine btw... I always ride the big one out here, so being stuck on the small will kill me...:(
WOW!

IMO, you probably need to a reality check in more than one area of your life ...

First, you should be forever grateful that your bike didn't fall onto your daughter and hurt her with a superficial scar on her head/face, or worse.

Second, bicycle mechanics is not rocket science, and you/(everyone!) should learn the fundamentals ... your bike should not have gone out of adjustment by simply falling over onto the garage floor, driveway, or roadway EVEN IF it fell onto the crank side.

Regardless of your past exploits, or lack of, when adjusting things, you probably need to pony up for a copy of ZINN AND THE ART OF ROAD BIKE MAINTENANCE ($25? $30?) and take the time to analyze what is wrong with your bike's front derailleur BEFORE you bring it to the shop ...

In the meantime:
  • Is the front cable slack when the chain is on the smaller ring?
  • Is the outer plate of the front derailleur's cage no longer parallel to the chainrings?
The WORST CASE SCENARIO would be if the frame's derailleur hanger (which I think your frame has) is bent ... if that is the case, then you need someone who has some manual facility to straighten it out -- this does require a slightly higher skill level than what is needed to remove a nail from a 2x4 when using a claw hammer, but not by much.

BTW. If you truly never use the inner chainring AND the repair "estimate" the bike shop gives you is outside your current budget, then I recommend that you simply remove the front derailleur & derailleur cable and manually mount the chain onto the outer chainring OR "lock" the front derailleur in the outer position.

alfeng said:
WOW!

IMO, you probably need to a reality check in more than one area of your life ...

First, you should be forever grateful that your bike didn't fall onto your daughter and hurt her with a superficial scar on her head/face, or worse.

Second, bicycle mechanics is not rocket science, and you/(everyone!) should learn the fundamentals ... your bike should not have gone out of adjustment by simply falling over onto the garage floor, driveway, or roadway EVEN IF it fell onto the crank side.

Regardless of your past exploits, or lack of, when adjusting things, you probably need to pony up for a copy of ZINN AND THE ART OF ROAD BIKE MAINTENANCE ($25? $30?) and take the time to analyze what is wrong with your bike's front derailleur BEFORE you bring it to the shop ...

In the meantime:
  • Is the front cable slack when the chain is on the smaller ring?
  • Is the outer plate of the front derailleur's cage no longer parallel to the chainrings?
The WORST CASE SCENARIO would be if the frame's derailleur hanger (which I think your frame has) is bent ... if that is the case, then you need someone who has some manual facility to straighten it out -- this does require a slightly higher skill level than what is needed to remove a nail from a 2x4 when using a claw hammer, but not by much.

BTW. If you truly never use the inner chainring AND the repair "estimate" the bike shop gives you is outside your current budget, then I recommend that you simply remove the front derailleur & derailleur cable and manually mount the chain onto the outer chainring OR "lock" the front derailleur in the outer position.

Wow. I can say that too. You sure do have a way of making a new person feel welcome. I joined this forum for the insight and experience of others, not condescending attitude about my need for a "reality check." Forum posting is not something new to me in anyway, shape or form as I have over 3,500 posts in one forum alone elsewhere on the web. That said, I will look around to glean what I should from your post.

First, I am ALL for buying the book and will make that a priority. I won't dredge my personal life out into this forum, but for the sake of stress I don't have time to wait for the book to get here before I get the bike taken care of and back in top shape. I will take a look at the things you mentioned and see if I can get a better idea of what is really going on here.

In the mean time, I (and I am sure others too) would appreciate it if you would rethink the way you reply to people. It is certainly no way to keep members around. This is not only cycling related forum on the web.

I somehow doubt a road bike would have crushed your 7 y/o daughter. And good on you for not getting angry. Of course a person could easily get angry at that point.

And while learning how to do the adjustments on a bike is a great idea, it certainly doesn't hurt to get a run through from a pro, especially one with the right tools. I mean I can do most bike maintenance myself, but darn if a bike shop can't do a lot of things way faster.

I would check and see if a bike shop nearby offers a basic maintenance class. I know one around me does and if I needed to I would be glad to take it.

Welcome to this forum, sorry not everyone around here can make a person feel welcome.

TKOS said:
I somehow doubt a road bike would have crushed your 7 y/o daughter. And good on you for not getting angry. Of course a person could easily get angry at that point.
Did I say anything about the bike crushing anyone?

Rback33 said:
Wow. I can say that too. You sure do have a way of making a new person feel welcome. I joined this forum for the insight and experience of others, not condescending attitude about my need for a "reality check." Forum posting is not something new to me in anyway, shape or form as I have over 3,500 posts in one forum alone elsewhere on the web. That said, I will look around to glean what I should from your post.

First, I am ALL for buying the book and will make that a priority. I won't dredge my personal life out into this forum, but for the sake of stress I don't have time to wait for the book to get here before I get the bike taken care of and back in top shape. I will take a look at the things you mentioned and see if I can get a better idea of what is really going on here.

In the mean time, I (and I am sure others too) would appreciate it if you would rethink the way you reply to people. It is certainly no way to keep members around. This is not only cycling related forum on the web.

Ignore the other poster's asinine and presumptuous insinuations about parenting and his use of fear mongering rhetoric. Such comments are completely out of place, here, and certainly unwarranted.

As for your front derailleur issues, take a look at Part Tool's tutorial on front derailleur set up and adjustments. You should also bookmark Park Tool's repair page as it has links to virtually anything you might need or want to do on your bike. FYI, working on a bike is exceedingly easy. As with all things, there is a learning curve, but said curve isn't steep at all. With a little time, effort, and patience, you can learn to maintain your bike yourself and may even find that you enjoy it.

Rback33 said:

Really?!?

If you were to objectively reread & 'listen' to how-and-what you are wrote, you will find that you are still quietly blaming your daughter for your bike's mishap. Well, maybe you are just too clever in your phrasing for your own good.

If you had simply stated that your bike fell over and could no longer shift properly, then my reply would not have brought into question your dubious parenting skills.

If you think I'm wrong, then show this thread to your wife, your friends, and co-workers. Maybe they'll provide you with the validation you are searching for.

Again, you need a reality check.

If you are departing this Forum, then don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

alienator said:
Ignore the other poster's asinine and presumptuous insinuations about parenting and his use of fear mongering rhetoric. Such comments are completely out of place, here, and certainly unwarranted.
For the record:
What "fear mongering rhetoric" are you talking about?

OR, were you re-reading one of your own, older posts from a previous thread before posting in this thread?!?

alfeng said:
Really?!?

If you were to objectively reread & 'listen' to how-and-what you are wrote, you will find that you are still quietly blaming your daughter for your bike's mishap. Well, maybe you are just too clever in your phrasing for your own good.

If you had simply stated that your bike fell over and could no longer shift properly, then my reply would not have brought into question your dubious parenting skills.

If you think I'm wrong, then show this thread to your wife, your friends, and co-workers. Maybe they'll provide you with the validation you are searching for.

If you are departing this Forum, then don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

Wow. You sure like to read into things don't you? There is 0 chance of my 19 lb bike doing any harm to my daughter. I have seen her take far worse spills off her own and rarely does she cry. Had I really been blaming my daughter I would have yelled at her. I actually thought twice about asking her to hold it for this very reason, but I was in a position where there no good place to lean it either. I love keyboard commandos that think they are the end all, be all in their mommy's basement. It must be a lonely in your world of supremacy as we all know there is only room for one at the top.

To the rest of you, thanks for your constructive suggestions. I am totally capable of my own maintenance once I have a little knowledge and tools. I will absolutely ask the LBS about courses in maintenance. That is a great idea I had not thought of yet. I have company coming over shortly, but I will reread the suggestions on Wednesday before I head off to the LBS.

Yes, I'm quite new here as well and like many forums there are people who could probably phrase things differently. Learn what you can from them and ignore the rough edges. Most of my real biking experience is decades old, and I'm trying to get back into it after not riding at all for 5 years or so. Though I can fix just about anything, they have tools and expertise at my local shops that I'd be just foolish not to take advantage of. See what they say about your dérailleur, pick up any service knowledge you can, and definitely get a book. IMO, everybody needs to be able to do minor adjustments because there isn't always an LBS when and where you need one.

alfeng said:
Really?!?

I don't care if this gets me banned.........You are an idiot alfeng!

Hmmm. He said his daughter dropped his bike. That sounds like an observation, no blame involved. Further, the OP said it was an accident. Again, there's no implication of blame whatsoever in that statement.

Oh, if only the rest of the world new the hideous danger that accompanies a 7 y.o. balancing a bike to hold it up. At an average height of 43 inches, the danger that awaits the average 7 y.o. female bike holder is frightening! Why, it's got to be up there with the mortal peril that comes with the same girl getting milk out of the fridge! Oh, the horror! And let us pray and hope that she isn't actually allowed to play outside. Oh, playing is a virtual ticket to an ER visit! :rolleyes:

Rback33 said:
Wow. You sure like to read into things don't you? There is 0 chance of my 19 lb bike doing any harm to my daughter. I have seen her take far worse spills off her own and rarely does she cry. Had I really been blaming my daughter I would have yelled at her. I actually thought twice about asking her to hold it for this very reason, but I was in a position where there no good place to lean it either. I love keyboard commandos that think they are the end all, be all in their mommy's basement. It must be a lonely in your world of supremacy as we all know there is only room for one at the top.

To the rest of you, thanks for your constructive suggestions. I am totally capable of my own maintenance once I have a little knowledge and tools. I will absolutely ask the LBS about courses in maintenance. That is a great idea I had not thought of yet. I have company coming over shortly, but I will reread the suggestions on Wednesday before I head off to the LBS.
Really?!?

Well, Mr. 3500+ postings in another Forum, the title of your thread says it all -- you are blaming your daughter for what happened regardless of what you subsequently say.

Think about it.

alienator said:
Hmmm. He said his daughter dropped his bike. That sounds like an observation, no blame involved. Further, the OP said it was an accident. Again, there's no implication of blame whatsoever in that statement.

Oh, if only the rest of the world new the hideous danger that accompanies a 7 y.o. balancing a bike to hold it up. At an average height of 43 inches, the danger that awaits the average 7 y.o. female bike holder is frightening! Why, it's got to be up there with the mortal peril that comes with the same girl getting milk out of the fridge! Oh, the horror! And let us pray and hope that she isn't actually allowed to play outside. Oh, playing is a virtual ticket to an ER visit! :rolleyes:
Well, you could be right, and perhaps there was no intent to cast blame, but unnecessarily indicating how the bike fell implies a latent blaming of his daughter as he proceeded to write the post regardless of what he intended or how you are choosing to justify the OP's clumsy posting.

sheckie said:
I don't care if this gets me banned.........You are an idiot alfeng!
You may be correct that I may be an idiot ... but, that doesn't change the fact that the OP's clumsy wording placed blame on his daughter for his bike falling over.

alfeng said:
You may be correct that I may be an idiot ... but, that doesn't change the fact that the OP's clumsy wording placed blame on his daughter for his bike falling over.

Judging by the responses so far, you're the only one that thought the OP was casting blame. In fact, I'd be surprised if anyone but you thought he was casting blame. His wording wasn't clumsy. It was straightforward. Perhaps your reading is as clumsy as your parenting comments are off the mark.

Christ. What about all the "superficial scarring" that is the potential result of cycling, eh, Mr. Mom? What about the potential for "superficial scarring to the head/face or worse" from swingsets, slides, running, going down the stairs, going up the stairs, getting into and out of the bathtub, cutting her own food, using scissors at school, playing at recess at school, riding in a car, riding on the bus. Oh wait: the scarring from those potential accident scenarios can't be nearly as bad as a bike, whose top tube is likely even with or below her face, falling over a few inches into said girl. Oh, right. Them's some scary accident dynamics involved in a bike holding accident. Oh, wait! I know! She must have been holding the bike over her head! No doubt the OP was having her strengthen her shoulders, back, and triceps while she held the bike! NO! The bike was suspended 10 feet above her, hanging from a rope around a pulley! She let go of the rope, and the bike smashed down upon her with terrific force!

Or maybe it was just stupid to think or assume that holding the bike up was any more dangerous to the little girl than picking her nose. Natch.

So to sum things up:
  • Stupidly unrealistic risk was imagined.
  • Unwarranted, unfounded, and laughable parenting criticisms were made.
  • Handicapped reading comprehension resulted in an accusation that had zero merit.

alfeng said:
Really?!?

Well, Mr. 3500+ postings in another Forum, the title of your thread says it all -- you are blaming your daughter for what happened regardless of what you subsequently say.

Think about it.

You make a good suggestion here. I took your advice. I thought about it. Over. And over. It still appears to me in the thread title that I said WHAT happened. I described the event. not the CAUSE of the event which would indicate I was laying blame. If you think my 48" tall daughter is in danger while holding my bike, imagine the how fast you would call social services watching her trot on her 1300 lb mare all by herself. It's become readily apparent she is more capable of harnessing the power of that horse than you are your brain.

Thanks to the rest of you for the insight and making me feel welcome. I certainly appreciate it.:cool: