Ugly Dura Ace Chainset

Rik O'Shea

Guest
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
http://www.pbase.com/image/22335710

I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most asthestically
pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and visual view
point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the Campagnola
designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the run of
themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over zealous
panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and detracts from the
overall apperance of the bike.

Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

On 17 Oct 2003 06:24:48 -0700, [email protected] (Rik O'Shea) wrote:

>Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
>http://www.pbase.com/image/22335710
>
>I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most
>asthestically pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and
>visual view point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the
>Campagnola designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the
>run of themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over
>zealous panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and detracts
>from the overall apperance of the bike.
>
>Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

I agree.. pretty ugly. when trying to think of a way to describe it all I could think about was the
Barbapoppas ... you remember that cartoon about the blobs that could change shape...

An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.

Chuck Davis

"Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
> http://www.pbase.com/image/22335710
>
> I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most
> asthestically pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and
> visual view point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the
> Campagnola designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the
> run of themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over
> zealous panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and
> detracts from the overall apperance of the bike.
>
> Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

When I saw it in a picture the first time (not knowing it's Dura Ace), I thought it was just a new
design for the "comfort" series with a plastic cover to protect dress slacks.

hey I dig it.

I always wanted one of those mavic cranks that greg lemond use to use on his TT bike, and now that
shimano has something that looks similar, I can.

my 2cents

"G. Huang" <gang@removethis_bell-labs.com> wrote in message
> When I saw it in a picture the first time (not knowing it's Dura Ace), I thought it was just a new
> design for the "comfort" series with a plastic cover to protect dress slacks.

Visual design issues aside, I tried the new DA system at Interbike. The shifting is truly terrific.
The new bottom bracket is pretty sane. They have also eliminated any alignment confusion in mounting
the left crank. At least they left us a rear wheel compatibility window as well.

See, looks ain't everything! Yeah, the cranks look weird, but they are following the XTR lead.

Ask your local dealer about the LED lights that mount into the chainring bolt holes. Shimano is
getting into safety equipment for 2004 and they feel side lights are a good first step. Also check
into the under seat mounted horn. It runs on a CO2 cartridge, the same as a tire inflator. I just
thought it was awkward squeezing under the seat to toot the horn. On the other hand, USCF is
probably going to adopt it as mandatory safety equipment for 45+ and above Masters races...

Bruce

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:21:45 -0400, "Chuck Davis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
>anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.

The posers may be seen to complain but they'll be riding on them next year regardless.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:07:54 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Visual design issues aside, I tried the new DA system at Interbike. The shifting is truly terrific.
>The new bottom bracket is pretty sane. They have also eliminated any alignment confusion in
>mounting the left crank. At least they left us a rear wheel compatibility window as well.
>
>See, looks ain't everything! Yeah, the cranks look weird, but they are following the XTR lead.

Didn't the 2003 XTR have some problems with bearing life (or was it only for people who took their
bike off the SUV and rode it in wet conditions)?

>Ask your local dealer about the LED lights that mount into the chainring bolt holes. Shimano is
>getting into safety equipment for 2004 and they feel side lights are a good first step. Also check
>into the under seat mounted horn. It runs on a CO2 cartridge, the same as a tire inflator. I just
>thought it was awkward squeezing under the seat to toot the horn. On the other hand, USCF is
>probably going to adopt it as mandatory safety equipment for 45+ and above Masters races...

<snicker

On 17 Oct 2003 06:24:48 -0700, [email protected] (Rik O'Shea) may have said:

>Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
>http://www.pbase.com/image/22335710

I can't say it's ugly from an appearance standpoint, but I don't like the implications of the
blurbs. They seem to be saying that if you wear out the BB or fubar the crank, you have to replace
both...because it's one unit. Looking at the crank, I can't see any place for a frelling bolt to
attach the crank to the axle, so I guess that only the left arm comes off. (Shimano's information
says that the FC and BB units are "one unit now, not two", but I think that should be "one part
number, not two" instead.)

Either way, I don't think I like the prospect of having fewer options when it comes to repairs. This
looks like a pretty blatant move toward the "you break any part, you buy a whole new set" paradigm.
I despise that kind of thinking.

[email protected] (Rik O'Shea) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
> http://www.pbase.com/image/22335710
>
> I used to think that the Dura Ace Chainset from the early to mid nineties was the most
> asthestically pleasing piece of bike kit on the planet - worth having from a purely functional and
> visual view point. It was one area were I felt that Shimano had managed to get the drop on the
> Campagnola designers. But with this latest verion the Shimano designers have completely lost the
> run of themselves - big ugly outside ring and the spider looks like it been flattered by an over
> zealous panel beater. When you see it on a complete bike it dominates the visual lines and
> detracts from the overall apperance of the bike.
>
> Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

Depends on the frame it's going on. If we're talking an old steel Masi, yeah, they're ugly because
they wouldn't work with the look of the frame. But if they're going on the latest big-tubed, smooth
transitioning carbon fiber frame, I think it fits nicely and, if not 'pretty', aesthetically
pleasing. On the drive side, anyway. /s

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:07:54 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> may have said:

>...Also check into the under seat mounted horn. It runs on a CO2 cartridge, the same as a tire
>inflator. I just thought it was awkward squeezing under the seat to toot the horn. On the other
>hand, USCF is probably going to adopt it as mandatory safety equipment for 45+ and above
>Masters races...

Oh, yeah, right, I'm really going to abandon one of the brakes and over half the control in a
critical situation, to tootle the $%^&*@! horn. Sure. Uh-huh. Bloody useless. If you're going to
have a horn, it needs actuation capability *at* the point where your hands need to be at the time,
*not* in a location that might as well be on some other bike. In my opinion, a horn under the seat
is probably more of a safety hazard than the thing you might be about to run into.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:37:32 GMT, Chris B. <bikerider@-NOSPAM_THANKS-rogers.com> may have said:

>On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:21:45 -0400, "Chuck Davis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
>>anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.
>
>The posers may be seen to complain but they'll be riding on them next year regardless.

Not this one. Oh, wait, I'm a poster, not a poser. Nevermind. You're right, the people who've got to
have The Latest Thing will have them, no question.

(I'm wondering how long it will be before I see one of them shoehorned on to an mtb...)

"Chuck Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> An interesting post. Put this in contrast to the thread "Another useless gimic?". I guess that
> anything new must be pretty AND functional. Just one or the other isn't enough.

Dear Chuck,

"'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, -- that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'"

It's good enough advice if you're a Grecian urn in a Romatic poem, but Keats wouldn't have lasted
any longer on rec.bicycles.tech than he did as a medical student. (And it kinda helps if someone who
knows how explains the beauty of the poem's opening-line puns about the
still-unravished-bride-of-quietness.)

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever," but being whapped with the ugly stick can also be a sign of
durability.

Being heavyset myself, I'd probably murmur something like "A bit Rubenesque?" if anyone asked me
about the aesthetics of that massive-looking new-fangled Shimano crankset.

But here on rec.bicycles.tech good looks ain't really the question.

What I'm hoping to hear without exposing my ignorance is why the engineering crowd thinks Shimano
made the new crankset so chunky, whether they think Shimano is right or doomed to scathing ridicule,
and how the hell do you attach that blank-faced crankset to the spindle?

Whoops, my ignorance is showing again. Darn. Better cover it up with an apropos quote about good
looks and duck out of the beauty contest debate.

"Politics is just Hollywood for homely people."

Carl Fogel

Rik O'Shea wrote:
> Is it just me or does anyone else think that the latest Dura Ace Chainset is sort of ugly; see -
> http://www.pbase.com/image/22335710

> Rik "retro Dura Ace" O'Shea

And the current "Bicycling" magazine actually raves about how beautiful it is! In the same issue
they have a page on a Bose radio. A tabletop radio, in a bike mag? Then they show what total lack of
taste they have by comparing it to the elegance of Campagnolo and Serotta. Bose? Bose is the Huffy
of audio. People who have never heard Thiel, Vandersteen, Revel, etc. think Bose is wunderbar. A few
issues ago they devoted a page to....waffles. What a great magazine. Wait, wasn't this about the DA
crank? Yeah, that's right, I think its ugly as well.

Tim McTeague

I have over 500 miles on my DA 10 sp. It shifts sooo smooth! And I think it looks good too. The
larger brake hoods are more comfortable. I have no regrets buying it

news:[email protected]...

"Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Then they show what total lack of taste they have by comparing it to the elegance of Campagnolo
> and Serotta. Bose? Bose is
the
> Huffy of audio.

To a regular pleb like myself, Bose is great, Emerson is Huffy.

> A few issues ago they devoted a page to....waffles. What a great
magazine.

Don't read it, don't buy it, no one is holding a gun to your head. Serious cyclists usually prefer
other cycling reading matter anyways, even if only for additional reading. "Bicycling" is for
everyday cyclists, and does a great job at getting "everyday" people interested and hooked on
cycling, a very noble cause.