Uh...yea Freddie......you been gettin' high too much.

thoughtforfood said:
I don't see it happening. Ball will probably have a hard time getting all the votes for pros on his team if it's a secret ballot. He does not have a great reputation for treating riders well.

It would be fun to see him in there, though. The usual network of interconnected people who have worked with each other forever has not helped.

Bro Deal said:
I don't see it happening. Ball will probably have a hard time getting all the votes for pros on his team if it's a secret ballot. He does not have a great reputation for treating riders well.

It would be fun to see him in there, though. The usual network of interconnected people who have worked with each other forever has not helped.
Yea, "turd in the punchbowl" is usually fun to watch..

I dunno. As much as Ball is an egotistical douche... he could be good as a catalyst for change. I'm just not sure if Freddie's description of Ball's "vision that goes far beyond Rock Racing" means a future where riders can dope with less risk...or one that promotes fair and rigorous dope control.

I'm also not sure if he is that disliked by all the cyclists... I suspect he has discarded those that he deems of no use...and charms those that are useful to him. That could be dangerous. But I suspect that most of the Rock riders... if Freddie is a fair sample... are quite happy. Those who were rejected... maybe not so.

Is everyone here happy with the current state of US Cycling? I thought US Cycling administrators were mostly Lance cronies.

Crankyfeet said:
I dunno. As much as Ball is an egotistical douche... he could be good as a catalyst for change. I'm just not sure if Freddie's description of Ball's "vision that goes far beyond Rock Racing" means a future where riders can dope with less risk...or one that promotes fair and rigorous dope control.

I'm also not sure if he is that disliked by all the cyclists... I suspect he has discarded those that he deems of no use...and charms those that are useful to him. That could be dangerous. But I suspect that most of the Rock riders... if Freddie is a fair sample... are quite happy. Those who were rejected... maybe not so.

Is everyone here happy with the current state of US Cycling? I thought US Cycling administrators were mostly Lance cronies.
you do know that Ball is reputed not to pay certain riders unless they win and gets around the rule by sending them to his farm team? check startlists sometimes and the same rider moves up & down from the Team Rock (amateur) to the Rock Racing team.

earth_dweller said:
you do know that Ball is reputed not to pay certain riders unless they win and gets around the rule by sending them to his farm team? check startlists sometimes and the same rider moves up & down from the Team Rock (amateur) to the Rock Racing team.
That is what happened to Clinger this year. He now races for another team.

earth_dweller said:
Unless they "win" or unless they "perform". There are not that many cyclists who win races... and most on the team are not supposed to be trying to win I thought... just trying to help the team get a rider to win. Cycling is a struggling professional sport. It needs to "up" the entertainment/publicity focus IMO so that the revenue increases. Atm... a very good cyclist is faced with a very tough decision to commit to a non-lucrative sport at a young development age.

One of the big weaknesses I see in top American sport is that it seems like the intensity is not there. A lot of the guys are on secure money... and they seem to be just going through the motions at times (not always the case of course... and I'm not referring to cycling... just making a generalisation on the big sports). You even see it in the subtle way they talk. A few years ago...on Clemens' return... the Astros thought they had a chance for the World Series. When interviewed it sounded like they were really going to try this year because they have a chance for the title. You couldn't but help imagine the flip side scenario and ask the question... so what would you be doing if you thought you didn't have a chance of winning through the playoffs?

I've watched NBA games that looked less enthusiastic than a local Friday afternoon half court game. College sports seem to be more intense.

Bottom line is... you either have to think Freddie has been sold down the river and is extremely deluded... or you trust his judgment... or you don't trust his motives.

Typically riders on a pro team on a yearly contract and do not get fired - or stopped being paid - on a whim during the year for not winning. It's a perfect recipe for cheating.

I think Freddie was spouting the company line to get being paid.

earth_dweller said:
I heard that Horner turned down two offers from Rock before signing with Astana. According the Horner, the contracts were not fair or something unusual.

jojoma said:
I heard that Horner turned down two offers from Rock before signing with Astana. According the Horner, the contracts were not fair or something unusual.
If you find a thread from 1-2 weeks ago on this it covers Chris' comments.

His contract was basically going to be a race-by-race thing, not a year or more term.