UK a.m-b ride: Snowdon

> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Aye - mail to :- [email protected] please remove nospam for genuine address, Cheers,
Dave. (& son).

> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Aye. Riding down snowdon should test the foot out!

> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Aye - riding up Snowdon should test the lungs out ',;~}~

Shaun aRe gonna try and get the time off at any rate!

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:28:15 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Put me down as a tentative "Aye".

The e-mail address I use for usenet is a disposable one, replace usenet003 with huw for my real one.

Huw "Hope my lungs hold out" Pritchard

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:28:15 +0200, bomba did issue forth:
>
> > Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> > 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
> >
> > All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.
>
> Put me down as a tentative "Aye".
>
> The e-mail address I use for usenet is a disposable one, replace usenet003 with huw for my
> real one.
>
> Huw "Hope my lungs hold out" Pritchard

You could always hitch a ride on the mountain railway....

> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Bing Bing! Nother one here!

Andy Chequer

> You could always hitch a ride on the mountain railway....

Knowing Huw he'd probably ride up it and take the mountain railway back down again ;)

Andy Chequer

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Is this going to be singletrack, or more of that wide road stuff?

BTW Shauny, real lung workouts start above 6,000 feet above sea level.

JD

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Can I put down a tentative "aye" too? I'd have to confirm my health and fitness before I could go.
My back is still giving me some problems.

Take out the "nospam"s from my email address.

Thanks

--
...meandering mule...

JD wrote:

>>Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
>>3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.

> Is this going to be singletrack, or more of that wide road stuff?

You'll have to ask Spademan for sure because, he's the only one of us that I know's done it before.
Couldn't find too many pics, but this should give you some idea:
http://groups.msn.com/theMTBgoats/retrosnowdonpiccies.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=537

I'll get some more pics on the day.

> BTW Shauny, real lung workouts start above 6,000 feet above sea level.

Shaun's in luck - we're going to be hitting the heady heights of 3,559 feet!

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

I'd love visit 'n hoist a real Guinness salute to honor our married Shaun, so put me down for a
tentative.... er, well, no. But I love yer sample pictures all the same. Have a good one lads.

Paladin

> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Count me in as a 90% aye Mark

> JD wrote:
>
> >>Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> >>3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
> >>
> >>All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.
> >

> > Is this going to be singletrack, or more of that wide road stuff?
>
> You'll have to ask Spademan for sure because, he's the only one of us that I know's done it
> before. Couldn't find too many pics, but this should give you some idea:

http://groups.msn.com/theMTBgoats/retrosnowdonpiccies.msnw?action=ShowPhoto& PhotoID=537

> I'll get some more pics on the day.
>
> > BTW Shauny, real lung workouts start above 6,000 feet above sea level.
>
> Shaun's in luck - we're going to be hitting the heady heights of 3,559
feet!

I did it last October. Went up from Llanberis. Provided the railtrack to follow, up and down and
ended up at a bloody good cafe in the middle of Llanberis for much required sustinence. There was
snow and cloud at the top, it was cold! Lots of pushing on the way up, due to stepped path. Took a
couple of hours to get to the top and an hour to get down. Could've been 10 mins to get down except
for my mates ability to 1.) forget to connect brakes prior to starting off downhill and 2.) acquire
4 punctures on the way down. Worst bit was trying to listen for a puncture whilst a helicopter was
buzzing us. Took about 15 mins to work it out ;-). My mates bike was faulty, it's not that it's a
particularly risky area. It's great fun, well worth the effort and a real steep learning curve,
especially if you've never done it before ;-) Dave.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:28:15 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
> Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
> 3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>
> All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.

Singlespeeders welcome?

mule wrote:

> Can I put down a tentative "aye" too?

Of course you can.

> I'd have to confirm my health and fitness before I could go. My back is still giving me some
> problems.

There's no pressure to turn up. I'll put you on the list and you can decide on the day if you want.

> Take out the "nospam"s from my email address.

Are breathe.com still going? I thought they were one of the first victims of the dot.bomb...

Gman wrote:

>>Snowdon officially opens back up to bikes on 1st October. We're considering riding it on Friday
>>3rd October, avoiding crowds, etc.
>>
>>All those interested in joining, say 'Aye', and we'll include you on the mailing list.
>>

> Singlespeeders welcome?

Of course, but isn't it a little far for you to travel?

You do realise this is Mount Snowdon in Wales, UK, and not Snowdon Peak in Colorado...

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > Is this going to be singletrack, or more of that wide road stuff?
> >
> > You'll have to ask Spademan for sure because, he's the only one of us that I know's done it
> > before. Couldn't find too many pics, but this should give you some idea:

http://groups.msn.com/theMTBgoats/retrosnowdonpiccies.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&
> PhotoID=537
> >
> > I'll get some more pics on the day.
> >
> > > BTW Shauny, real lung workouts start above 6,000 feet above sea level.
> >
> > Shaun's in luck - we're going to be hitting the heady heights of 3,559
> feet!
> >

> I did it last October. Went up from Llanberis. Provided the railtrack to follow, up and down and
> ended up at a bloody good cafe in the middle of Llanberis for much required sustinence. There was
> snow and cloud at the
top,
> it was cold! Lots of pushing on the way up, due to stepped path.

Don't remember that, I remember it being steep in places. Its probably 3-4 years since I rode it
last though so it might have been 'improved'

Took a
> couple of hours to get to the top and an hour to get down. Could've been
10
> mins to get down except for my mates ability to 1.) forget to connect
brakes
> prior to starting off downhill

Really? my condolences to his family..

> and 2.) acquire 4 punctures on the way down.

Aye its notorious for punctures, something to do with all the sharp pointy rocks..

Steve

> Is this going to be singletrack, or more of that wide road stuff?
>
> You'll have to ask Spademan for sure because, he's the only one of us that I know's done it
> before. Couldn't find too many pics, but this should give you some idea:

http://groups.msn.com/theMTBgoats/retrosnowdonpiccies.msnw?action=ShowPhoto& PhotoID=537

That must be the flattest least rocky bit of the entire route. Most of it follows a similar kind of
path though, the hordes of red-sock brigaders means that a singletrack path is not feasible. Plenty
of lines up and down. The very top bit past the 'turn of death' opens out into a wider windswept
path with large drops either side, it gets very steep though and this is the bit that usually
requires some pushing / carrying. Coming back down is fun
:), gotta make that turn.

> I'll get some more pics on the day.

I might have some old ones I'll see if I can dig them out.

> > BTW Shauny, real lung workouts start above 6,000 feet above sea level.
>
> Shaun's in luck - we're going to be hitting the heady heights of 3,559
feet!

Starting from sea level thats not a bad climb.

Steve.