UK Cumberland Challenge - Online Tracking

Porkyboy

Apr 28, 2006
Hi

This is not about power training though I will be riding with a PowerTap and the reason I'm posting here is because I know the folk here tend to like technology and gadgets! This may be old hat to you guys but it's new to me and I just thought it might be of interest.

On Sunday I'll be riding the 105 (very hilly) mile Cumberland Challenge in Cumbria over here in the UK. I rode the event last year and finished in about 6:20 and this year I'm going to try to break 6 hours, I'm riding with 2 mates of mine.

I'm going to use a mapping package on my BlackBerry to allow friends and family to monitor my progress (good or bad) on my weblog (link in signature), the map is at the foot of the front page of the blog, just scroll down in the usual way.

If anyone is interested or would like to see how the tracking service works for this sort of purpose feel free to enjoy the ride from the comfort of your armchair. I'll be setting off from Brampton in Cumbria at about 08:00 BST which is GMT +1, do drop in if you fancy it! If you do have a look you will need to refresh your browser window to update the position which should be updated about every 30 seconds, depending on how fast I'm going ;)

Cheers,

PBUK

Porkyboy said:
Hi

This is not about power training though I will be riding with a PowerTap and the reason I'm posting here is because I know the folk here tend to like technology and gadgets! This may be old hat to you guys but it's new to me and I just thought it might be of interest.

On Sunday I'll be riding the 105 (very hilly) mile Cumberland Challenge in Cumbria over here in the UK. I rode the event last year and finished in about 6:20 and this year I'm going to try to break 6 hours, I'm riding with 2 mates of mine.

I'm going to use a mapping package on my BlackBerry to allow friends and family to monitor my progress (good or bad) on my weblog (link in signature), the map is at the foot of the front page of the blog, just scroll down in the usual way.

If anyone is interested or would like to see how the tracking service works for this sort of purpose feel free to enjoy the ride from the comfort of your armchair. I'll be setting off from Brampton in Cumbria at about 08:00 BST which is GMT +1, do drop in if you fancy it! If you do have a look you will need to refresh your browser window to update the position which should be updated about every 30 seconds, depending on how fast I'm going ;)

Cheers,

PBUK
Hi Quentin,

Just had a look at your blog/videos etc. Leading the tour in 2010 looks like fun, wish I had the time:( How you managing the between stage logistics such as the transfers and stuff. I guess you've got some willing car/van drivers :D .
Good luck with the challenge tomorrow and I'll have a look at the gps data. Does the ride take in The Struggle?

Paul.

Hi Paul

morning wood said:
Hi Quentin,

Just had a look at your blog/videos etc. Leading the tour in 2010 looks like fun, wish I had the time:( How you managing the between stage logistics such as the transfers and stuff. I guess you've got some willing car/van drivers :D .
Good luck with the challenge tomorrow and I'll have a look at the gps data. Does the ride take in The Struggle?

Paul.
The logistics will be challenging :) My wife is very supportive and will be driving avehicle, I'm hoping that as time draws near and others get involved further support will be available but if not I'm going anyway!

Today's ride did not take in "The Struggle" though it was generally a struggle and very very wet! Pleased with my finish time, early indications are that I was 3rd or 4th in may age group :)

Thanks for your interest in the projects, the GPS tracking worked like a charm, my wife "followed" us all the way and knew exactly where we were at any given time and when we were going to arrive at the mid point feed and the finish, it was great!

Cheers,

Quentin.