UK : Essex : Youths set trap and attempt robbery of cyclist.

Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)

Guest
From BBC news

A nasty escalation of this anti-social behaviour behaviour (and too close to
some of us...) hope the cops get these abstrads as this goes way beyond just
"pranks" now and they will probably try other robberies...

Being naturally suspicious and cynical, I tend to check any narrow alleyway
with posts for traps of this nature before proceeding down it...

Alex

**************
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/essex/5277300.stm

Youths laid 'trap' for cyclists
A gang of youths who attacked a cyclist during an attempted robbery is being
hunted by police in Essex.
The 22-year-old woman was riding along an alley off Spinks Lane, Witham, on
Tuesday night when she rode into chest-high tape tied between two posts.

As she fell off, the youths kicked and punched her and demanded she hand
over money and her mobile phone.

She refused and the youths ran away. Essex Police are appealing for anyone
with information to contact officers.

******************

--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

Following on from Mr R@t (2.30zi)'s message. . .
>From BBC news
>
>A nasty escalation of this anti-social behaviour behaviour (and too close to
>some of us...) hope the cops get these abstrads as this goes way beyond just
>"pranks" now and they will probably try other robberies...
>
>Being naturally suspicious and cynical, I tend to check any narrow alleyway
>with posts for traps of this nature before proceeding down it...

This is on my doorstep - 2 minutes away. It's not really an alley, more
the normal sort of cycle path.

* It /should be/ properly lit - I don't know if the lights are out as
they are in a lot of the roads. I will go and look.
* It should be quite wide, but I expect the vegetation has not been cut
back. I will go and look.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
[email protected]

"Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Following on from Mr R@t (2.30zi)'s message. . .
>>From BBC news

> This is on my doorstep - 2 minutes away. It's not really an alley, more
> the normal sort of cycle path.

This is a more detailed report from EADT. According to this the lights were
out.

*****
A WOMAN was knocked off her bicycle by a gang of youths who strung a tape
between two posts.

The gang then attacked the woman and attempted to rob her, before running
off empty-handed.

The 22-year-old cyclist was travelling home along the path leading off from
Spinks Lane, Witham, when she struck a tape that had been put in place
between the posts.

The attack took place at about 10pm on Tuesday near a building site,
opposite the John Bramston School.

After falling to the ground, the woman was punched and kicked repeatedly,
then one of the gang told her to hand over her money and mobile phone. She
refused and the gang ran off into the dark.

Det-con Jane Davis, of Braintree police, said: "This woman was quite shaken
up following her ordeal and was fortunate, really, to have not been
seriously injured.

"She could have sustained far worse injuries from the chest-high tape that
had been put in place.

"This tape had been strengthened so as not to break when struck by the
unsuspecting cyclist.

"Unfortunately the alley way was unlit so the woman has so far been unable
to give us a more detailed description of her assailants."

The woman described the gang as being a group of white males, all in their
mid to late teens, and all wearing hoodies.

The boy who demanded the money was of an athletic build, wearing a black
hood and had a distinctive, loose fitting silver bracelet on.

Wendy Schmitt, Braintree District Council cabinet member for community
safety strategy, said it was a shocking incident.

"I am extremely disappointed that these youths have sunk to a new low. Do
they realise how extremely dangerous it could have been for this lady and
what a dreadful shock it must have been to her?

"The police are increasing patrols in the area because they are determined
to catch this group and I would urge anyone who knows something to contact
them straight away. It is an absolutely vile crime."

Anyone who saw the group of youths near the school on Tuesday night should
contact Braintree police on 01376 551312.
*****

--

Mr R@t (2.30zi) said the following on 24/08/2006 15:39:

> The woman described the gang as being a group of white males, all in their
> mid to late teens, and all wearing hoodies.

They were called hoods when I was a kid. What a stupid name hoodies is.
Do they wear socksies and shoesies, and wave bye-bye to Mumsy and
Daddy before they go out?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"Mr R@t (2.30zi)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wendy Schmitt, Braintree District Council cabinet member for community
> safety strategy, said it was a shocking incident.
>
> "I am extremely disappointed that these youths have sunk to a new low. Do
> they realise how extremely dangerous it could have been for this lady and
> what a dreadful shock it must have been to her?

Yeah, it could have been so dangerous and was a terrible shock. I'm sure
they were wondering this when they were kicking and kicking her repeatedly.

In all seriousness, this is a disgustingly cowardly attack. Okay, it was a
random attack but does make me consider taking up some sort of martial art.
I'd like to see how brave they are when one is down with a broken arm and
I'm ready for the next.

<Dreams of being the modern Bruce Lee>

Quoting Mr R@t \(2.30zi\) <[email protected]>:
>The 22-year-old woman was riding along an alley off Spinks Lane, Witham, on
>Tuesday night when she rode into chest-high tape tied between two posts.
>As she fell off, the youths kicked and punched her and demanded she hand
>over money and her mobile phone.
>She refused and the youths ran away.

Good for her!
Today is First Tuesday, August.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <Dreams of being the modern Bruce Lee>

or Jackie Chan? I think there were a few bicycle chases in his films, and
maybe one scene where he actually ends up in an alleyway and uses his bike
to fend off the attackers...

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
http://www.partyvibe.com

I've heard from members of the Glasgow Humane Society that this happens
quite a bit on the Route 75 right up where a milk factory is, near to
Carmyle. I've seen a bunch of neds kicking about but I just cycled
right by them.

I went and looked this evening.
All the lights were out.
Possibly due to adjacent construction work.
I'll be asking the Chief Exec of Essex CC for when they will be back.

Also, for information, the anti-cycling Cllr in charge of transport for
Essex is proposing that all street lights are switched off at midnight
to save the planet.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bolt company screwed up
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>
elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> In all seriousness, this is a disgustingly cowardly attack. Okay, it was a
> random attack but does make me consider taking up some sort of martial art.

The ancient martial art of Ecky Pump, perhaps?

Peter Fox wrote:

> I went and looked this evening.
> All the lights were out.
> Possibly due to adjacent construction work.
> I'll be asking the Chief Exec of Essex CC for when they will be back.
>
> Also, for information, the anti-cycling Cllr in charge of transport for
> Essex is proposing that all street lights are switched off at midnight
> to save the planet.

Suggest that they use lower power lights instead of turning them off. Saves
the planet whilst allowing cyclists to go about their lawful business
without fear of attack. Hopefully.
--
Chris

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

in message <[email protected]>, Peter Fox
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I went and looked this evening.
> All the lights were out.
> Possibly due to adjacent construction work.
> I'll be asking the Chief Exec of Essex CC for when they will be back.
>
> Also, for information, the anti-cycling Cllr in charge of transport for
> Essex is proposing that all street lights are switched off at midnight
> to save the planet.

That's an excellent plan of which I wholeheartedly approve. Never
switched on would be better, of course.

Have your children ever seen the stars?

;; Want to know what SCO stands for?
;; http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030605

"Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Also, for information, the anti-cycling Cllr in charge of transport for
> Essex is proposing that all street lights are switched off at midnight to
> save the planet.

Actually, I think that's something we could do with more of. Less light
pollution, lower energy costs. To be commended on the whole.

Cheers, helen s

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as "Mr R@t
(2.30zi)" <[email protected]> gently breathed:

>Wendy Schmitt, Braintree District Council cabinet member for community
>safety strategy, said it was a shocking incident.
>
>"I am extremely disappointed that these youths have sunk to a new low. Do
>they realise how extremely dangerous it could have been for this lady and
>what a dreadful shock it must have been to her?

<rant>

Why do officials always ask these idiotic questions after such
incidents? Of course the gang realise how dangerous it is - and they
don't care one jot. They simply want to steal property, to obtain by
force what they can't or don't want to, purchase, and the victims are
regarded as prey, nothing more.

>"The police are increasing patrols in the area because they are determined
>to catch this group and I would urge anyone who knows something to contact
>them straight away. It is an absolutely vile crime."

Agreed, it's utterly vile. But middle-class hand-wringing isn't going
to change anything. The perpetrators are not "misguided youths" - they
are evil, pure and simple. I really do hope the police can catch them,
but even if they do the so-called "justice" system is highly unlikely to
hand down anything resembling any kind of serious punishment.

</rant>

I hope the lady recovers from her ordeal OK, and good for her on not
giving in to the robbers.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Have your children ever seen the stars?

I appreciate your sentiment but I think you may live in somewhere fairly
remote rather than a town/city..

I'm all for people being able to look at celestial bodies and to preserve
the environment, but without decent street lighting the only stars many of
the kids round *here* will see are when they are knocked on the head by
someone trying to relieve them of their property....

OTOH if anyone wants to go and look at the stars in Suffolk/Essex all they
need to do is go on an evening bike ride to one of the more rural areas
where there are less street lamps.

Alex
--

Peter Fox wrote:

> Also, for information, the anti-cycling Cllr in charge of transport for
> Essex is proposing that all street lights are switched off at midnight
> to save the planet.

So he/she may be anti-cycling, but isn't all bad. Would be even better
if they could legislate against "security" lights that spill out to
where they can blind a walker or cyclist going about their legitimate
business on a road, path, or open land.

--
not me guv

Peter Fox <[email protected]> writes:

> Also, for information, the anti-cycling Cllr in charge of transport
> for Essex is proposing that all street lights are switched off at
> midnight to save the planet.

You're not suggesting that switching off street lights is anti-cycling
I hope. They are a horrific waste of electricity. I remember years ago
in Witney they had ones that only came on when you walked or parked
under them.

Jon

Pyromancer wrote:
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as "Mr R@t
> (2.30zi)" <[email protected]> gently breathed:
>
> >Wendy Schmitt, Braintree District Council cabinet member for community
> >safety strategy, said it was a shocking incident.
> >
> >"I am extremely disappointed that these youths have sunk to a new low. Do
> >they realise how extremely dangerous it could have been for this lady and
> >what a dreadful shock it must have been to her?

> <rant>
>
> Why do officials always ask these idiotic questions after such
> incidents? Of course the gang realise how dangerous it is - and they
> don't care one jot. They simply want to steal property, to obtain by
> force what they can't or don't want to, purchase, and the victims are
> regarded as prey, nothing more.
>
> >"The police are increasing patrols in the area because they are determined
> >to catch this group and I would urge anyone who knows something to contact
> >them straight away. It is an absolutely vile crime."

> Agreed, it's utterly vile. But middle-class hand-wringing isn't going
> to change anything. The perpetrators are not "misguided youths" - they
> are evil, pure and simple. I really do hope the police can catch them,
> but even if they do the so-called "justice" system is highly unlikely to
> hand down anything resembling any kind of serious punishment.
>
> </rant>

what's your point? Is it somehow different from "middle class
hand-wringing"? Did you detect evidence of had-wringing in the police
response? Out of interest, what do you mean by evil as a
categorisation of people?

best wishes
james

Simon Brooke <[email protected]>typed

> Have your children ever seen the stars?

I saw the stars for the first time, in France, last month.

Beat anything I'd ever seen in GB (even in the middle of a fireworks display).

Campaign for Dark Skies conference, Portsmouth soon.
I'll be there...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Agreed, it's utterly vile. But middle-class hand-wringing isn't going
> > to change anything. The perpetrators are not "misguided youths" - they
> > are evil, pure and simple. I really do hope the police can catch them,
> > but even if they do the so-called "justice" system is highly unlikely to
> > hand down anything resembling any kind of serious punishment.

> what's your point? Is it somehow different from "middle class
> hand-wringing"? Did you detect evidence of had-wringing in the police
> response? Out of interest, what do you mean by evil as a
> categorisation of people?

It's a convenient way of not having to bother thinking about why some
people do vile things, or how they should be persuaded to do otherwise,
or whether their actions reflect some other kind of wider malaise, or
whether they might have any obligations or responsibility in this
respect.

Basically, "pure and simple" is short-hand for "my words are a wholly
inadequate description of reality", whether they appear on a bottle of
face cream or a politician's lips or anywhere else.

Daniele