UK - Paying for the road

Vincent Patrick wrote:
> Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
> cycle networks could be increased:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vince
>
> 'Freeloader'

UK motorists have been paying tolls for some time. Have heard varying
reports of this from relations and colleagues in the UK. I certainly
don't see our local tollways doing any such thing. The fundamental flaw
with constructing these things is that they are predicated on ever
increasing traffic volumes, not only on the tollway but feeders and
local roads as well, which ultimately is a recipe for environmental and
economic disaster. Too many frigging cars, period, and `More' is no answer.

ray wrote:

> Vincent Patrick wrote:
>> Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
>> cycle networks could be increased:
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Vince
>>
>> 'Freeloader'
>>

> UK motorists have been paying tolls for some time. Have heard varying
> reports of this from relations and colleagues in the UK. I certainly
> don't see our local tollways doing any such thing. The fundamental flaw
> with constructing these things is that they are predicated on ever
> increasing traffic volumes, not only on the tollway but feeders and
> local roads as well, which ultimately is a recipe for environmental and
> economic disaster. Too many frigging cars, period, and `More' is no
> answer.

If I understood it correctly, the report was about encouraging a reduction
in the relative proportion of cars, and increasing the usage of public
transport, bikes, etc.

Cheers,

Vince

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:00:28 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:

> Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
> cycle networks could be increased:

I see, government in the UK has descended to the level of Sir Rod thinks
and the BBC are lobbying for it so it must be true.

So much for the home of democracy then.

dewatf.

dewatf wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:00:28 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:
>
>> Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
>> cycle networks could be increased:

> I see, government in the UK has descended to the level of Sir Rod thinks
> and the BBC are lobbying for it so it must be true.
>
> So much for the home of democracy then.
>
> dewatf.

It is information from a commissioned study.

Cheers,

Vince

'Just two sleeps before riding home in a hotter time of day'

dewatf wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:00:28 +0800, Vincent Patrick wrote:
>
>> Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
>> cycle networks could be increased:

> I see, government in the UK has descended to the level of Sir Rod thinks
> and the BBC are lobbying for it so it must be true.

I suggest you read the report again. What you're stating is not true.

> So much for the home of democracy then.

I thought that was Greece?
--
Cheers
Euan

Euan wrote:

>> So much for the home of democracy then.

> I thought that was Greece?

AFAIK, Ancient Greece was a republic, not a democracy.

No idea how it is for bicycle riding.

Terryc wrote:
> Euan wrote:
>
> >> So much for the home of democracy then.

> > I thought that was Greece?

> AFAIK, Ancient Greece was a republic, not a democracy.

The USA is a republic. Borat got away with his life, so I guess you'll
survive saying the USA is not a democracy ... but listen for clicks on
your phone.
;-)

Donga

Donga wrote:
> Terryc wrote:

>>>I thought that was Greece?

>>AFAIK, Ancient Greece was a republic, not a democracy.

> The USA is a republic.

Techically a Democratic republic, I think.
In the USA you can qualify to vote.
In Ancient greece, if i remember, you basically had to be born a free
greek. Slaves and descendants didn't get to vote.

can not remember to subtle differences.

Vincent Patrick wrote:
> ray wrote:
> > Vincent Patrick wrote:
> >> Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
> >> cycle networks could be increased:
> >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm

> If I understood it correctly, the report was about encouraging a reduction
> in the relative proportion of cars, and increasing the usage of public
> transport, bikes, etc.

And more importantly, paying for road use, rather than car ownership.
The report suggested dropping registration charges and reducing other
taxes. If people leave their cars at home and walk or cycle, the
community doesn't incur the costs of air pollution, greenhouse gas
emissions or congestion.

A win-win outcome!
Lo

Vincent Patrick said:
Motorists in the UK might pay a toll for using the road, and funding for
cycle networks could be increased:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6160877.stm

Cheers,

Vince

'Freeloader'

expect more of this in future. The EU last year (ithink?) started launching their new satellite system/s, basically a bigger/better GPS system that aint run by military and far more accurate, etc.
Nothing to stop em implementing CityLink Europe-wide. Just needs political will...

Oh, and Sir Rod is also now half way thru doing the
'let's build an east/west tunnel' study
for Melbourne...