UK/Reading: attack on 8 year old cyclist (bike theft)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, May 23, 2003.

  1. http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=6824

    This is a *really* nasty one - it is shocking when *kids* are targeted in this way by *other kids*;
    and that those who were at the skate-ramp didn't even try and stop this horrendous act of bullying.

    in my teens I was a bit of a tearaway and so were my mates; but we would never dream of committing
    an act like this or even watching it happen.In fact we probably would have tried to step in and get
    the kid out of trouble.

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Ugh. One can but hope the young thugs are caught & dealt with, but somehow I doubt it'll happen.
    Poor kid - at least he wasn't seriously hurt.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:...
    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ugh. One can but hope the young thugs are caught & dealt with, but
    somehow
    > > doubt it'll happen.
    >
    > This is a a good case for putting CCTV on *all* parks like this (as they have done on the Forbury
    > Gardens, another park notorious for robberies in reading). Of course it means someone has to watch
    > the things and

    *this bit should read* - it won't solve *everything*

    - but it *does* tend to stop this sort of attack as even thugs
    > aren't stupid enough to do it when they would be being watched! (since
    CCTV
    > was introduced, violence in town has gone down greatly and when it does happen those who commit it
    > are often brought to justice, thanks to the
    video
    > evidence.)
    >
    > BTW I *did* use to believe the "civil liberties" argument that these
    things
    > were an intrusion into privacy; but sadly (from being aware of what
    happens
    > in my city) [1] I have come to to conclusion that human beings are just
    too
    > *evil* to be trusted to behave themselves without someone watching over them.
    >
    > I hope they do catch the little shits.
    >
    > I was going to copy this directly to Guy as his lads were about the same age; but I somehow could
    > not see him letting his kids go to the BMX ramp
    on
    > their *own* at their age - he would probably go with them for safety, and
    > can well see in the next few weeks the next Reading post report would probably be about some
    > 40-something chap with a moustache showing off to
    all
    > the teens with all the stunts he can do better than them ;)
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > [1] one of my friends is a security guard and talks to the CCTV ops quite often.

  4. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ugh. One can but hope the young thugs are caught & dealt with, but somehow
    > doubt it'll happen.

    This is a a good case for putting CCTV on *all* parks like this (as they have done on the Forbury
    Gardens, another park notorious for robberies in reading). Of course it means someone has to watch
    the things and won't solve anything - but it *does* tend to stop this sort of attack as even thugs
    aren't stupid enough to do it when they would be being watched! (since CCTV was introduced, violence
    in town has gone down greatly and when it does happen those who commit it are often brought to
    justice, thanks to the video evidence.)

    BTW I *did* use to believe the "civil liberties" argument that these things were an intrusion into
    privacy; but sadly (from being aware of what happens in my city) [1] I have come to to conclusion
    that human beings are just too *evil* to be trusted to behave themselves without someone watching
    over them.

    I hope they do catch the little shits.

    I was going to copy this directly to Guy as his lads were about the same age; but I somehow could
    not see him letting his kids go to the BMX ramp on their *own* at their age - he would probably go
    with them for safety, and I can well see in the next few weeks the next Reading post report would
    probably be about some 40-something chap with a moustache showing off to all the teens with all the
    stunts he can do better than them ;)

    Alex

    [1] one of my friends is a security guard and talks to the CCTV ops quite often.

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote:

    : in my teens I was a bit of a tearaway and so were my mates; but we would never dream of committing
    : an act like this or even watching it happen.In fact we probably would have tried to step in and
    : get the kid out of trouble.

    Kids are nasty. Always have been. When I was a 8 (1980), we were always carefully of older kids.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  6. "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : in my teens I was a bit of a tearaway and so were my mates; but we would never dream of
    > : committing an act like this or even watching it happen.In fact we probably would have tried to
    > : step in and get the kid out of trouble.
    >
    > Kids are nasty. Always have been. When I was a 8 (1980), we were always carefully of older kids.

    Absolutely. Kingsley Amis summed it up brilliantly; "It is no wonder that people are so horrible
    when they started life as children." ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 20:14:31 +0100, "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was going to copy this directly to Guy as his lads were about the same age; but I somehow could
    >not see him letting his kids go to the BMX ramp on their *own* at their age

    Quite. This is close to home, as you know - I live within walking distance - but there are rough
    types down there and solitary trips are not yet a feature of Michael's riding anyway.

    >I can well see in the next few weeks the next Reading post report would probably be about some
    >40-something chap with a moustache showing off to all the teens with all the stunts he can do
    >better than them ;)

    Heh! Stunts on a recumbent - might need Dave Larrington's help on that one.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.