Ullrich and Armstrong arguing?

Cwazee Yeti

Guest
After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).

Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???

Yeti

"Cwazee Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
> giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
> eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
> pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
> at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).
>
> Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???
>
> Yeti

I would speculate that Jan didn't want everyone to sit up so they could put
more time into Basso
Dave

According to a post race interview, Lance said that Jan wanted Floyd to come
to the front and work. Lance said that because it was
in T-Mobile's interest to put time into Basso, that Jan should do the work.
The rest is history.

"Cwazee Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
> giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
> eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
> pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
> at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).
>
> Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???
>
> Yeti

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:43:57 GMT, "Dave H" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I would speculate that Jan didn't want everyone to sit up so they could put
>more time into Basso
>Dave

And Armstrong gave a shrug and gestured forward, as if telling
Ullrich, "if you want it so bad, go for it." Which would have had
similar results in the end...

When your more than five minutes down, you lose a lot of leverage in
the arguments over tactics.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Cwazee Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
> giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
> eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
> pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
> at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).
>
> Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???
>
> Yeti

I imagine Lance said, "If you want it, go get it." Referring to if he wants
to drop Basso then he will have to get to work and not wait for anyone to do
it for him. Ulrich definitely missed a golden opportunity there. Kloden
could've held off forcing Basso to do all the work to pull Ullrich back.
Too bad. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Dave

Brian P wrote:

> According to a post race interview, Lance said that Jan wanted Floyd to come
> to the front and work. Lance said that because it was
> in T-Mobile's interest to put time into Basso, that Jan should do the work.
> The rest is history.
>
> "Cwazee Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
>>giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
>>eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
>>pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
>>at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).
>>
>>Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???
>>
>>Yeti

Looked like the old "after you", "no, after you", "ah, but I insist",
"oh, I wouldn't think of it, after you!" game.

says...

>"Cwazee Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
>> giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
>> eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
>> pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
>> at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).
>>
>> Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???
>>
>> Yeti

>I would speculate that Jan didn't want everyone to sit up so they could put
>more time into Basso

More like he did want them to sit up so they could wait for Kloden. It
looks bad when you take off and leave the team leader behind.
-------------
Alex

Brian P wrote:

> ... it was in T-Mobile's interest to put time into Basso,
> that Jan should do the work.

It was pretty much a bone head move by Jan not to put his head down and do the work, especially at
the first sign of a gap on Basso. He could have put a minute into Basso, and then get over the top
of Basso in the TT. Now he's got 4 minutes to recover in a 34 mile TT if he'd like to get to his
favorite #2 position on GC. He might do it, but ... it'll be tough.

"gwhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Brian P wrote:
> >

> > ... it was in T-Mobile's interest to put time into Basso,
> > that Jan should do the work.

> It was pretty much a bone head move by Jan not to put his head down and do

the work, especially at
> the first sign of a gap on Basso. He could have put a minute into Basso,

and then get over the top
> of Basso in the TT. Now he's got 4 minutes to recover in a 34 mile TT if

he'd like to get to his
> favorite #2 position on GC. He might do it, but ... it'll be tough.

I think T-Mobile was angling for a stage win yesterday more than GC time. A
stage win wouldn't have happened with Floyd and Lance against Jan in the
break, especially if Jan was doing all the work.

Kloden should be able to get the time back on Basso tomorrow, but 4 minutes
might be a bit much for Jan to take back...ya never know though.

Jeff

"Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Cwazee Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
> > giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
> > eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
> > pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
> > at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).
> >
> > Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???
> >
> > Yeti

> I imagine Lance said, "If you want it, go get it." Referring to if he wants
> to drop Basso then he will have to get to work and not wait for anyone to do
> it for him. Ulrich definitely missed a golden opportunity there. Kloden
> could've held off forcing Basso to do all the work to pull Ullrich back.
> Too bad. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Yep, Jan could have seen that Lance wanted Floyd to win. If Jan had
just let him go far enough Lance wouldn't have reacted when Jan
jumped.

Had they been usnig their brains (something that T-Mobile DS seems to
be lacking) they would have had Jan and Andreas attack hard on the
last climb trying to burn out Basso who plainly has been feeling a bit
slow for the last two days.

But Floyd had them completely strung out. So rather than do his own
work Jan wanted Floyd to be his motor. Sorry, and after Jan is rested
I'm sure that he'd agree that he would have done the same thing.

Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

> Had they been usnig their brains (something that T-Mobile DS seems to
> be lacking) they would have had Jan and Andreas attack hard on the
> last climb trying to burn out Basso who plainly has been feeling a bit
> slow for the last two days.

Jan indeed looked good on the last climbs, but Klöden was just hanging
in there. If Jan had attacked on the climbs the senario would probably
have been that Basso and Armstrong wouldt have followed him and left
Klöden alone loosing time to Basso = bad tactics.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB Disk, 8x DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth mus
+ tastatur, FX5200 Ultra, iSight, eyeTV200 & Lacie Photon18Vision (TFT).

Jeff Jones wrote:

> "gwhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Brian P wrote:
> > >

> > > ... it was in T-Mobile's interest to put time into Basso,
> > > that Jan should do the work.

> > It was pretty much a bone head move by Jan not to put his head down and do

> the work, especially at
> > the first sign of a gap on Basso. He could have put a minute into Basso,

> and then get over the top
> > of Basso in the TT. Now he's got 4 minutes to recover in a 34 mile TT if

> he'd like to get to his
> > favorite #2 position on GC. He might do it, but ... it'll be tough.

> I think T-Mobile was angling for a stage win yesterday more than GC time. A
> stage win wouldn't have happened with Floyd and Lance against Jan in the
> break, especially if Jan was doing all the work.
>
> Kloden should be able to get the time back on Basso tomorrow, but 4 minutes
> might be a bit much for Jan to take back...ya never know though.

Maybe, and I had that thought too. But shouldn't a _GC_ rider go first for the GC? For example,
Lance's stage wins were icing, not the cake. (Surely true for Lemond.)

If Basso pulled Kloden back, then Klodi would have been fresh for an attack (of course so would have
Lance and Floyd).

> "Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Cwazee Yeti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > After Armstrong lit the firecracker under Landis' butt in hopes of
> > > giving him the Stage 17 win during the final descent, Ullrich
> > > eventually catches up with Landis--but when Armstrong re-joins the
> > > pair, Ullrich and Armstrong were quite animated (Ullrich was pointing
> > > at Landis as he was shouting something to Armstrong).
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what they were talking (or arguing) about???
> > >
> > > Yeti

> > I imagine Lance said, "If you want it, go get it." Referring to if he

wants
> > to drop Basso then he will have to get to work and not wait for anyone

to do
> > it for him. Ulrich definitely missed a golden opportunity there.

Kloden
> > could've held off forcing Basso to do all the work to pull Ullrich back.
> > Too bad. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

I think the problem really is that Ullrich doesn't have his legs this year.

> Yep, Jan could have seen that Lance wanted Floyd to win.

I think if Lance REALLY wanted Floyd to win, he'd have done all the work and
left Floyd fresh for the finish.