Ullrich announces he will take DNA test to prove innocence....

wolfix said:
Can we get a "re-start" of the tour?
Lets have a rebel "Tour" of the Tour... Rupert Mudoch can buy all the riders, pay them $30,000 per week and create a SUPER TOUR de France, shorten the stages to 50km each, put it on prime time TV in the US and make drugs and knocking other riders off their bikes legal....

whiteboytrash said:
and knocking other riders off their bikes legal....
Great idea, maybe i can start a new carreer after all (i think if knocking other riders off their bikes would be allowed i could be the next Tourminator, i would win at least 8 times):D

cyclingheroes said:
Yes i think it's too much, the point i wanted too make was that (at least the German press) the press always write that Hijo Rudicio is spanish for Rudy and that just isn't correct. Another interesting point is that Jan would have given blood (too prepare and store) on december 22, but he was in South-Africa untill December 23 (at least as far as i know). There are a lot of things that somehow don't fit...
I really hope ulrich didn´t dope.

I´m his fan. Maybee because in the tour Riis win, he did a terrific job, he was in the front of the peloton to hep zabel, he helped riis in the mountains, etc.

Do you think TMO rushed and in panic, had give up is best chance in 7 years, being ulrich in top form, and basso had already competed in Giro to win.
Because... ( if i was the director) the first thing i would check up it was dates of important facts.

Pressure of the sponsor? it´s to weird!!

i think ulrich will become martir, if your information is true!!

cyclingheroes said:
Great idea, maybe i can start a new carreer after all (i think if knocking other riders off their bikes would be allowed i could be the next Tourminator, i would win at least 8 times):D

I already got Wal-Mart,Home Depot Tide signed as sponsors. I am working on Redman Chewing Tobacco as I type.
I wonder if John Deer Tracator would be interested.

jhuskey said:
I already got Wal-Mart,Home Depot Tide signed as sponsors. I am working on Redman Chewing Tobacco as I type.
I wonder if John Deer Tracator would be interested.
John Deere already has a team, but I hear Kubota is trying to get one together.

acpinto said:
I really hope ulrich didn´t dope.

I´m his fan. Maybee because in the tour Riis win, he did a terrific job, he was in the front of the peloton to hep zabel, he helped riis in the mountains, etc.

Do you think TMO rushed and in panic, had give up is best chance in 7 years, being ulrich in top form, and basso had already competed in Giro to win.
Because... ( if i was the director) the first thing i would check up it was dates of important facts.

Pressure of the sponsor? it´s to weird!!

i think ulrich will become martir, if your information is true!!

My info source is back in Europe and is telling pretty much what we know,there is no real proof to link Jan to the blood, Jan feels terrible right now and it will be a struggle to get back if he is given the chance.
Attorneys are looking into the matter but that could take months.

I think the UCI is guilty of "Eyewash".

The scandal is huge. The UCI knows damn well the peloton has been running the junk since the dawn of time.

Searching some team car with a scowl on your face is pure "pissin' down my back, and telling me it's raining". (T-M "search" 2006 TDF)

The doping issue is now part of athletic vernacular. Getting junk stuck in your arm is synonymonous with inflating the tires to 130.

Erzulis Boat said:
I think the UCI is guilty of "Eyewash".

The scandal is huge. The UCI knows damn well the peloton has been running the junk since the dawn of time.

Searching some team car with a scowl on your face is pure "pissin' down my back, and telling me it's raining". (T-M "search" 2006 TDF)

The doping issue is now part of athletic vernacular. Getting junk stuck in your arm is synonymonous with inflating the tires to 130.
Since Ivan Basso was sent home from the Tour he has left it to his lawyer, Massimo Martelli, to look further into the affair that led to his ejection from the race. In Friday’s edition of the Danish newspaper Politiken, Martelli speaks about the situation and insists that he doesn’t want to talk about specifics about Basso’s possible involvement in the Operacion Puerto but is generally very dissatisfied with the treatment of his client, writes Susanne Horsdal.

“I’m extremely indignant with the way my client Ivan Basso has been treated. Not even the lowest worker would be treated like that. When you suspend a person you must at least give them the chance to defend themselves first. Basso has been suspended on the basis of a big zero. The decision was made after summarily reading of a document that hadn’t even been translated from Spanish. There’s a lot of talk about the teams’ ethics, but it’s Burundi-ethics. CSC shouldn’t have suspended Basso so hastily and without knowing the accusations against him,” says Martelli.

The lawyer’s indignation is also aimed at the French minister for sport. “Don’t ask me why the minister was so eager to have the report out, maybe to bring doping into focus. One could also ask the Spanish minister for sport: why does France only bring doping in focus once a year namely in connection with the Tour de France?”

cyclingnews reports on other factors that pointed to Basso = Birillo:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul05news4

=-> "In a phone conversation on May 14, at 21:46, the two discuss the Giro stage to Maielletta, won by Basso. Fuentes allegedly said in a 'wink wink' tone, "A stranger won, Basso, Ivan Basso." Labarta responded, "A certain Ivan Basso." After that stage, Basso and José Enrique Gutierrez Cataluna (a Dr Fuentes client) were lying first and second on the general classification. Labarta: "Well done boy, first and second with a certain Basso and a certain Guti." Fuentes: "Good heavens." Labarta: "Hey...first and second."

=-> "On the previous day (May 13), Labarta called Fuentes at 20:02 and spoke about the great performance of the "Buffalo" - Gutierrez' oft-used nickname - who finished fourth in stage 7 on that day. A surprised Fuentes said, "Buffalo?", to which Labarta responded in the affirmative, also listing the stage placings behind Rik Verbrugghe: "Savoldelli [2nd - ed.], yes, and behind at 16 seconds, Birillo arrived with Simoni, at 20 seconds Zapatero [who was identified as Scarponi], at 24 seconds, Uno [La Gazzetta claimed it was Unai Osa, but he finished at 34 seconds - ed]. All very well. I want to say that all those who you are looking after, or who you are interested in, are in the race and also doing well." In addition to Basso and Simoni, only Rebellin and Gonchar finished at 16 seconds on the seventh stage. Both those riders, as well as Simoni and Savoldelli, have been excluded from having any connection with Dr Fuentes."

Some news from the Jörg Ludewig case. German TV station ZDF was very proud to present the scoop of the 1998 Ludewig fax... But is finally in the line of fire itself. In todays edition of the FAZ (a German quality paper) they publish a story that the ZDF had the fax (where Ludewig is asking how certain doping substances work and how they should be mixed) since 2004 and in 2005 they gave Ludewig a contract to write a daily story about the TdF (Ludewig was participating for Domina Vacanze last year) on their website.
http://www.faz.net/s/RubAEA2EF5995314224B44A0426A77BD700/Doc~E1FED95C42B50491C87AFA8EE72595076~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html

the German news mag Spiegel (high reputation) will reveal new details on Monday. Rumours say the guy from Belgium phoned Fuentes on May 20th and said that the "thirs person" is interested in having more. On May 18th (ITT of the Giro) the same guy told Fuentes "the thirs person has won"... doesn't look good for Ulle.

Similar to what is reported above, L'Equipe says:

"Le magazine explique que Rudy Pevenage, le directeur sportif de la T-Mobile, l'équipe de Jan Ullrich, aurait téléphoné au médecin espagnol pour lui dire «avoir parlé avec une tierce personne. Cette tierce personne est intéressée à avoir plus, même si ce n'est que la moitié.» Or, si l'on en croit l'hebdomadaire, cette «tierce personne» serait clairement Jan Ullrich car Rudy Peverage avait lui-même dit que «la tierce personne avait gagné» le 18 mai, jour de la victoire d'étape de l'Allemand dans le Tour d'Italie. Pevenage et Fuentes auraient en fait, toujours selon l'hebdomadaire, souhaité procurer à Ullrich une dose de sang supplémentaire. Dans le dossier ouvert par les enquêteurs espagnols, il serait également question d'un «Jan» qui aurait payé 2970 euros pour être approvisionné en «Vino, Nino, Ignacio et PCH» soit, pensent-ils, en sang manipulé, hormones de croissance, une préparation proche de l'insuline et de la testostérone."

Roughly translated: :p :p :p

Der Spiegel explains that Pavenage, DS of TM, JU's team, telephoned the Spanish doctor [Fuentes] to tell him that Pavenage 'had talked with a third person. That third person is interested in having more, even though it's only the half-way point [of the race].' If one believes Der Spiegel, that 'third person' is clearly JU because Pavenage himself said that 'the third person had won.' Pavenage and Fuentes were in the process, per Der Spiegel, of providing to JU an extra dosage of blood [bag]. In the file of the Spanish investigators, there is also a 'Jan' who paid 2970 euros [something I don't know how to translate referring to Vino, Nino, Ignacio and PCH]... doped blood, certain hormones, a preparation close to insulin and testosterone.'"

Poor JU......Moderated.

Cyclists should be presumed innocent until it is demonstrated they are doping. But it's early yet in the Tour. Riders can be ejected if there are further Puerto revelations before the end of the Tour. ;)

bobke said:
Moderated : because of trolling (again)

What is disgraceful is you total lack of logic. What is your assertion here? That T-Mobile suddenly, in the midst of the biggest doping scandal in cycling history, decided to start doping and that is the reason they beat Disco like a drum? Does that mean you think they were clean in previous years? Did Disco decide not to dope this year and that is the reason they were soundly beaten? Really, what is your explanation for the current situation and how do you reconcile it with the previous years?

You seem to not notice the most reasonable explanation: Team Disco and other riders underperformed because their medical preparation was interrupted. Maybe the other doping operation in Spain got nervous and dumped the evidence (blood), maybe Disco's refridgerator went on the fritz, maybe they could not do their blood extraction during May or June, who knows.

Don't worry too much. I hear Armstrong is going visit the Tour. He can bring some supplies from his private stash and everything will be alright. :D

A little EPO, some GH, testosterone patches and one last blood transfusion before arriving at the Tour would get a rider through the first week or so, but after that, there is so much scrutiny that being in possession of these things and finding a way to do a transfusion would be extremely risky, especially now that they are in France. Let's see how these guys go in another week from now.

It really is too bad that JU has been excluded from the Tour, if he is innocent.

Couple of things I find a bit odd about the Fuentes/Labarta conversations...

Labarta, the DS for what was then the CV team, spends a lot of time talking to Fuentes about riders on other teams. As almost the entire CV team was doping with Fuentes, there was plenty to talk about within his own team. And Labarta knows 'Birillo', the Fuentes code name of a prominent rider on another team. How would Labarta know a fairly intimate detail about a rider not on his own team? The reputed Pevenage-Fuentes conversations are notable in their complete lack of names or even code words, while Labartes is spouting off players on other teams, left and right. Actual and code names. Almost as if he knew the conversations were being recorded by the authorities.

The other odd fact... Fuentes is standing behind his doctor/patient privilige in not naming riders for the authorities or the press. But he sure doesn't have a problem with that when talking to Labarta. A peculiar time to turn medical ethics on and off. Why would Fuentes be so free with potentially explosive information, especially with a DS who might misuse that information for his own benefit? As the only connection between Basso and Fuentes is these conversations, they do merit special scrutiny.

Maybe the years of BS doping charges thrown at Armstrong make me naturally suspicious. It's just a bit too neat and clean that Fuentes was such a loudmouth on the phone, and so free with other team's information with a DS, when he's so silent on names now. Very convenient that Labartes seemed to know an inordinate amount about Fuentes' clients on other teams. Rather tidy that there were no recorded phone conversations with or about football players, only cyclists, even though it's been hinted that footballers were also among his clients, and the extra strain and playing time of the WC is when they'd benefit from blood doping the most. Most helpful to certain people that the Tour was disgraced at the last moment by the absence of the top two riders, almost the only two non Spanish clients of Fuentes, when the World Cup is in full swing, and billions in ad revenue is up for grabs.

James Mason, in the film North by Northwest: "I don't like neatness. It is usually the result of planning."

musette said:
cyclingnews reports on other factors that pointed to Basso = Birillo:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul05news4

=-> "In a phone conversation on May 14, at 21:46, the two discuss the Giro stage to Maielletta, won by Basso. Fuentes allegedly said in a 'wink wink' tone, "A stranger won, Basso, Ivan Basso." Labarta responded, "A certain Ivan Basso." After that stage, Basso and José Enrique Gutierrez Cataluna (a Dr Fuentes client) were lying first and second on the general classification. Labarta: "Well done boy, first and second with a certain Basso and a certain Guti." Fuentes: "Good heavens." Labarta: "Hey...first and second."

=-> "On the previous day (May 13), Labarta called Fuentes at 20:02 and spoke about the great performance of the "Buffalo" - Gutierrez' oft-used nickname - who finished fourth in stage 7 on that day. A surprised Fuentes said, "Buffalo?", to which Labarta responded in the affirmative, also listing the stage placings behind Rik Verbrugghe: "Savoldelli [2nd - ed.], yes, and behind at 16 seconds, Birillo arrived with Simoni, at 20 seconds Zapatero [who was identified as Scarponi], at 24 seconds, Uno [La Gazzetta claimed it was Unai Osa, but he finished at 34 seconds - ed]. All very well. I want to say that all those who you are looking after, or who you are interested in, are in the race and also doing well." In addition to Basso and Simoni, only Rebellin and Gonchar finished at 16 seconds on the seventh stage. Both those riders, as well as Simoni and Savoldelli, have been excluded from having any connection with Dr Fuentes."

It's easily explained if one thinks that Labarta could have been involved as more than a client, or were a close personal friend of Fuentes.

I guess I'd like to know how the media is getting all of this detailed information when Basso's lawyer says they've been denied the official report. While I'm no Pollyana there are several aspects of the case (as has been revealed to the press) that stretch credulity in regards to Ullrich & Basso. But, without knowing all the facts, viewing the final Spanish report, and hearing evidence from the riders themselves, who knows that the truth is.