Ullrich banned 2 years!!

sopas

Jul 20, 2004
Ullrich has just been banned 2 years for his implication in Operation Puerto and loses all his victories from 2005-2007.
Ullrich finished 3rd in the 2005 TdF so he loses that in favour of Spaniard Mancebo who finished 4th. Contador finished 31 in that years Tour so now he is in 30 place!!!! Congratulations Alberto!!!!!!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Now seriously, all this stinks!!!

DNA match up and CAS are saying that Jan didn't put up any rebuttal evidence.

Ban starts from 2011.

Bad week for the sport.

So the score is now 2 from Puerto? Valv/Piti and Jan/Hijo del Rudicio.

Hopefully, The Cobra can teach Jan how to sneak into sportives...

It's somewhat bad that riders are being found positive. Way worse that both of these cases took as long as they did. 6 years... really?

He was given a two year ban running from August 2011 AND his results from May 2005 until Feb 2007 were annulled. Which "kinda sorta" two year period are they after? Two years here... skip a few add a couple more...

At least they're consistently retarded.

... and in the next installment of doping weekly, Tour organizers are questioning Desgranges 1930 decision to remind riders that "drugs would not be provided by the organizers" was an wise move. CAS to review whether a case against Coppi should be penalized for amphetamine use.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

... and in the next installment of doping weekly, Tour organizers are questioning Desgranges 1930 decision to remind riders that "drugs would not be provided by the organizers" was an wise move. CAS to review whether a case against Coppi should be penalized for amphetamine use.
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

This has got to be a pisstake /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/10/cyclist-jan-ullrich-doping-hair

When a cyclist gets caught doping, there are generally two ways of dealing with the shame. You can go the David Millar route of first denying it, then accepting it and finally speaking out about the pressures under which young riders succumb to temptation. Or you can be Alberto Contador, blaming a failed test on some dodgy steak and maintaining your innocence even when pronounced guilty.
But the disgraced Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich has taken a rather different tack by becoming brand ambassador for a German hair stimulating lotion, which has the slogan: 'Doping for the hair'.
The deal was announced on Wednesday, a day before Ullrich was handed a two-year ban in relation to a blood-doping scandal that engulfed his sport six years ago.
Ullrich appeared at a press conference in Bielefeld, Germany, to announce he was to become the face of the Alpecin Cycling Day, a new cyclo-sportive for amateur cyclists, which bears the name of the hair-loss product.
Alpecin's manufacturer, Dr Wolff, said in a press release that Ullrich regarded the marketing deal as "a kind of new beginning".
Ullrich is quoted as saying: "After a long break I have won back my love of cycle sport. I am pleased to have Alpecin as a strong partner which shares this passion. The Alpecin Cycling Day will be a highlight for all cycling fans."
East German-born Ullrich became the first German to win the Tour de France in 1997 and won Olympic gold and silver medals at the Sydney 2000 Games. The rider, a huge star in his home country during his prime, also finished second in the tour on five occasions, three of them behind the seven-times champion Lance Armstrong.
He retired in 2007 under a cloud after being implicated in Operación Puerto, a series of Spanish police raids that uncovered more than 200 codenamed blood bags, some of which were linked to cyclists.
"We are delighted that Jan Ullrich is supporting our cycle sport event," said Eduard R Dörrenberg, managing director of the Dr Wolff group, in a press release. "His example shows that you can not only rise to the top but also fall back down. Then it's all about getting yourself back up again."
Dörrenberg told German media it was a "complete coincidence" Ullrich was associated with a product with such a provocative slogan and to suggest otherwise was "complete nonsense". Alpecin has used the 'Doping for the hair' catchline for a number of years and has been involved in sponsoring cycle sport for decades.
He said: "We don't believe in simply using a famous face in our advertising. Our relationship with Ullrich is not a short-term PR gag but something which is consciously meant for the long term."
Following the announcement of the ban, Ullrich, who had a well publicised "burnout" after retiring, issued a statement on his websiteexpressing remorse for what he had done.
He confirmed he had had "contact" with Eufemiano Fuentes, the doctor at the heart of the blood doping operation. He wrote: "I know that it was a big mistake and I regret it deeply. I want to say to everyone that I am truly sorry.

At least they're taking the doping fight seriously, riders will stop and consider the consequences now.

I wonder who he ****** off in the sports world? I mean considering they all dope, what did he do to get "caught"? Why have others gotten off or never found to be positive? Payoffs? who a person knows? who one brown nose up to? When I use to race Cat 3 in California back in the late 70's to mid 80's I knew people who doped, why? Because others doped thus they felt forced to dope so they could compete against those that did. This is cat 3 level, it only gets worse the higher you go. I dated a professional female tennis player in the late 70's she doped as did everyone she knew!! Doping is done in almost any professional and lower levels of various sports except chess just to name one! Although for me to sit still for a several of hours thinking over a game of chess I might have to dope up to sit there that long!!

I have raised this question before several times. Not sure where he is has progressed on his book but I think I can find out. Some day the whole mound of **** will come crashing down. Too bad the sport of cycling will be underneath it.

Originally Posted by Froze .

I wonder who he ****** off in the sports world? I mean considering they all dope, what did he do to get "caught"? Why have others gotten off or never found to be positive? Payoffs? who a person knows? who one brown nose up to? When I use to race Cat 3 in California back in the late 70's to mid 80's I knew people who doped, why? Because others doped thus they felt forced to dope so they could compete against those that did. This is cat 3 level, it only gets worse the higher you go. I dated a professional female tennis player in the late 70's she doped as did everyone she knew!! Doping is done in almost any professional and lower levels of various sports except chess just to name one! Although for me to sit still for a several of hours thinking over a game of chess I might have to dope up to sit there that long!!
I doubt Cat 3 riders doped back in the 70's, do you have proof?

Originally Posted by ambal .

I doubt Cat 3 riders doped back in the 70's, do you have proof?

Yes, I have documents signed by former Cat 3 dopers to prove this...get serious man; can you prove Lance Armstrong doped? I use to race in cat 3 level from 79 till 85 in California, and I knew guys who doped and they even tried to get me and others that I knew who didn't because "we need to be competitive to reach the pro levels" was the excuse they used for doping. I knew all sorts of people that doped, from two pro body builders, to a farm league baseball player, to a pro tennis player, a couple of movie stars, a pro golfer...yes, a pro golfer, so somehow yours (and mine) precious lily white sport of cycling doesn't do that, or didn't do that? You need to revisit reality.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

I have raised this question before several times. Not sure where he is has progressed on his book but I think I can find out. Some day the whole mound of **** will come crashing down. Too bad the sport of cycling will be underneath it.
It would be interesting to hear JU's side of the story.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

I know some of his side but is sounds like sour grapes I suppose. Maybe it will all come around eventually.

I know some of his side but is sounds like sour grapes I suppose. Maybe it will all come around eventually.

Sour grapes make for a good WHINE!!!

Originally Posted by Froze .

Doping is done in almost any professional and lower levels of various sports except chess just to name one! Although for me to sit still for a several of hours thinking over a game of chess I might have to dope up to sit there that long!!
Ignorance must be bliss, Froze. :p

Irony seems to have come full circle in cycling - ironic that the country that was at the forefront of blood doping from the very early 80's, Italy and specifically CONI who paid Conconni (Ferrari's mentor if you will - the guy that also oversaw the trainng of teams like Carrera and riders like Indurain and helped Italy take a near clean sweep of the winter Olympics in the early 90's in cross country skiing), now talk the toughest talk against doping and France with there "our atheletes don't dope which is why they don't win too much" approach have their world champion track sprinter banned and their iconic female athelete under suspision...

It's the same with masters racers who'll get busted in the future - just like the ones that recently did. The desire to win, availability of money and the belief that their "lesser" races will escape the ire of the "**** in a cup" truck. The pro's know that a result will get them tested and that random tests do happen but the average Joe that races might see a dope control van once in a blue moon and even then the chances of being called to task will be about 1 in 20, very very slim odds indeed.

Personally I think that most sports at most levels will have folks that dope and seek some kind of advantage - whether that be the likes of EPO/CERA or whatever is floating around out there now that's either released or under clinical trials, steroids, hgh or more commonly available less effective "drugs" that are on the banned list. I think it'd be a very interesting exercise if someone like USA Cycling teamed up with a drug screening service like DISA (www.disa.com) and sent out, at random intervals, requests for a random number of race winners to report to their local DISA testing center. They do after hours and weekend testing and are available in most towns/cities in the US. It's a pretty simple process - I was tested 4 times at random last year for work and 3 times in the previous two years... You're in and out within 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Ignorance must be bliss, Froze. :p

I
Back when I was racing Cat 3 and some of the guys doped they/we were never tested, I don't know if today they test at that level or not since I've been out of it for so long, but I have heard from unofficial sources that they are not being tested...but again this was unofficial.

I've heard and known of kids in high school football that doped for the competitive advantage so they could get into the best college teams, and doped some more once they got into college so they could make the pros. One of the guys I knew who was a pro body builder lost his hair and teeth from doping and said it was worth it...I just wonder if he still thought it was still worth it when he fought then died of cancer from the all the years of doping? It's amazing what greed will push a person to do.

I am not gonna dope so I can live long enough just to ******** everyone I know, besides my body is too old to process anything foreign except maybe a Swedish bathingsuit model.

I am not gonna dope so I can live long enough just to ******** everyone I know, besides my body is too old to process anything foreign except maybe a Swedish bathingsuit model.

You may want to consider Brazilian Volleyball players. Although you may not pass a drug test down the road.

Apparently Jan is not taking the news very hard , from what I hear. Since he doesn't race anymore the only effect might be public opinion that might hinder contracts due to him selling and promo power.
Doubt that it will amount to much in the long run.