Ullrich Comeback?

Ullefan

Jul 14, 2004
I cannot accept the way he's been treated, for someone who's only damning evidence has been a name on a piece of paper. T-mobile, the UCI, the german federation, Swiss Federation, Werner Franke, none can be forgiven by me for what they have done. They have all effectively ended the career of one of our finest, and what have they accomplished? When you take one of the greats down in that manner, you take down the whole sport. I'd be willing to bet 95% of cycling fans are also Ullrich fans. We do not get a say, maybe if we had to buy seats, we'd have much more influence. I will not follow cycling anymore, I have lost all interest in this sport since 29th July 2006 not watched a single race, but it has done alot for me growing up and for that I'am so greatful.

Is it still possible for him to have one last chance, for his fans to see him race, that is all I would ask for the powers that be. One last turn of the big gear, this is much bigger than Operation Puerto, he is much bigger than Operation Puerto. I don't care if it is just a small local race, just want to see him ride one more time.

Surely he deserves much better and his fans deserve much better.

Ullefan said:
I cannot accept the way he's been treated, for someone who's only damning evidence has been a name on a piece of paper. T-mobile, the UCI, the german federation, Swiss Federation, Werner Franke, none can be forgiven by me for what they have done. They have all effectively ended the career of one of our finest, and what have they accomplished? When you take one of the greats down in that manner, you take down the whole sport. I'd be willing to bet 95% of cycling fans are also Ullrich fans. We do not get a say, maybe if we had to buy seats, we'd have much more influence. I will not follow cycling anymore, I have lost all interest in this sport since 29th July 2006 not watched a single race, but it has done alot for me growing up and for that I'am so greatful.

Is it still possible for him to have one last chance, for his fans to see him race, that is all I would ask for the powers that be. One last turn of the big gear, this is much bigger than Operation Puerto, he is much bigger than Operation Puerto. I don't care if it is just a small local race, just want to see him ride one more time.

What? Says whom? He is very lucky to be forced out now!

Jan Ulrich is still alive and breathing. That's pretty good considering the hazards of his Gladiator Blood Doping Sport---aka: Grand Tours

Marco Pantani deserved better.
Jose Maria-Jimenez deserved better.
Alexandre Zinoviev deserved better.
Stive Vermaut deserved better.
Gerrie Knetemann deserved better.
Tom Simpson deserved better.
Thierry Claveyrolat deserved better (suicide)
Jacque Anquetil deserved better
Gianni Bugno deserved better (he is not well)

They had the goods on Ulrich otherwsie he never would have retired. His goiose was cooked by a Gynocholgist.

He should thank his lucky stars and hope he did not damage his vascular system too badly.

Strong truthful words right there. It hurts to see him leave because he is/was such a powerful rider. I think he has done a ton for the sport and I know I appreciate everything he has done for me on a personal level. I have not met him nor even seen him but the inspiration he has given me to race my bicycle is moving. If Lance never would have picked up his bike, Ulle would have been the greatest bike racer to live.

Ullefan said:

Ullefan - fully agree with you on the way JU has been treated. I can understand why he has retired - he needs to move on with his life. I am sure this will not be the end - lets hope he creates a great new racing team with sponsors like Volksbank/Vodaphone (just to really pissoff TMO!!) Many many fans will miss him and as you say what has been achieved by all of those who have stopped him racing? Not alot except bad feeling from many fans and I would imagine losing alot of money that they all made out of him. But sort of good news is Ulle has said he will be arranging something soon for his fans in the german press - hopefully a criterium or something like that which I will definately go to. Like you my love of cycling has been battered and this season as I live in London I will go to the prologue but the next day I will be off to the start of the Tour of Austria to see Team Jan Ullrich - Volksbank - hopefully see you there?

Allez Ulle!

Ullefan said:
I'd be willing to bet 95% of cycling fans are also Ullrich fans.
Why hell, even Lance was a Ulle fan. Might be closer to 99%. I think he has even won over JHUSKEY's heart.

Lemond and Ullrich got me going again in cycling. If it weren't for those two guys, who knows, I might be a helluva lot richer,,, buying all those bikes, tires, tubes, seats, pedals, shoes, ear-rings(left is right)....:D

It will be a strange year without the Ulle.

lwedge said:
Why hell, even Lance was a Ulle fan. Might be closer to 99%. I think he has even won over JHUSKEY's heart.

Lemond and Ullrich got me going again in cycling. If it weren't for those two guys, who knows, I might be a helluva lot richer,,, buying all those bikes, tires, tubes, seats, pedals, shoes, ear-rings(left is right)....:D

It will be a strange year without the Ulle.

I am a heartless *******,you know. Beside, you would have spent half that money on women and booze and the rest........you would have just ****** away.

You all need to let Ullrich fade away into the sunset. He chose to get out for good reasons, and only he truly knows all of them. But suffice to say he knows that retiring now would allow his future to be easier and much less complicated...Ullrich took the easy way out and as such he's no martyr in my eyes...

Well lets be honest here: if he had just gone and taken a DNA test, this would've been over within a few weeks instead of half a year, one way or the other...

dexjava said:
Well lets be honest here: if he had just gone and taken a DNA test, this would've been over within a few weeks instead of half a year, one way or the other...

He did!

jhuskey said:
But are the reports true that his lawyers are now blocking the actual completion of these tests? If so, I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to have these test completed so he can clear his name. At least then he would clear the suspicions surrounding him as he moves into the next phase of his career.

fbircher said:
But are the reports true that his lawyers are now blocking the actual completion of these tests? If so, I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to have these test completed so he can clear his name. At least then he would clear the suspicions surrounding him as he moves into the next phase of his career.
Maybe the tests proved he wasn't clean. Although i hope not

The last I heard it was the Germans dragging their feet doing the comparison and by choice not because of tactics or pressure.
At least no tactics from the Ullrich camp, but I will stand corrected if anyone has better info.

jhuskey said:
The last I heard it was the Germans dragging their feet doing the comparison and by choice not because of tactics or pressure.
At least no tactics from the Ullrich camp, but I will stand corrected if anyone has better info.
See Jan benchpress, see Jan push a pram, see Jan read stories, see Jan walking along the beach..... I can see why Jan retired... he's a guy at peace with himself... you can tell he is just as happy hanging out with the family as winning the Tour... he doesn't need racing to be happy.... well done to him... champion bloke... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spWV-PauQbQ&mode=related&search=

whiteboytrash said:
See Jan benchpress, see Jan push a pram, see Jan read stories, see Jan walking along the beach..... I can see why Jan retired... he's a guy at peace with himself... you can tell he is just as happy hanging out with the family as winning the Tour... he doesn't need racing to be happy.... well done to him... champion bloke... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spWV-PauQbQ&mode=related&search=

I agree. No offense whatsoever intended but I think it was that same contentedness and happy-go-lucky nature that put Jan in second place rather than in first place on many occasions. His main rival was the polar opposite! In any case, I have huge respect for him as both a cyclist and a person and I wish him all the best.

I just have to point out that it's very funny that the "Ullrich Comeback" thread was posted the same day (or close to it) that Jan announced his retirement! :eek:

jhuskey said:
The quote below if from a recent story on cyclingnews.com ( http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb23news2 ):

"Jan Ullrich has denied a report that his attorneys recently applied to a Spanish court to block the transfer of blood bags taken into custody during Operación Puerto to Germany for DNA comparisons. Instead, he announced, his attorneys first filed suit in Spain at the end of last year."

While they claim this isn't a RECENT action to block the test, they nevertheless acknowledge that they have filed this legal action. So the big distinction is that they did it two or three months ago instead of yesterday. I haven't read anywhere that they have - or will - rescind this action. If JU would like to end the negative media scrutiny, and he knows he didn't dope with Fuentes, why on earth wouldn't he be anxioius to get this test done and get this business behind him?

If someone on this board has information that cyclinews.com has published false information, I'd certainly be interested to know.

fbircher said:
The quote below if from a recent story on cyclingnews.com ( http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb23news2 ):

"Jan Ullrich has denied a report that his attorneys recently applied to a Spanish court to block the transfer of blood bags taken into custody during Operación Puerto to Germany for DNA comparisons. Instead, he announced, his attorneys first filed suit in Spain at the end of last year."

While they claim this isn't a RECENT action to block the test, they nevertheless acknowledge that they have filed this legal action. So the big distinction is that they did it two or three months ago instead of yesterday. I haven't read anywhere that they have - or will - rescind this action. If JU would like to end the negative media scrutiny, and he knows he didn't dope with Fuentes, why on earth wouldn't he be anxioius to get this test done and get this business behind him?

If someone on this board has information that cyclinews.com has published false information, I'd certainly be interested to know.
Was that a rhetorical question? Or was it because Ule is guily of illegal blood doping and money laundering with a gynochologist. Floyd Landis does not want seven of his TDF urine samples to be tested for testsosterone either. Testing won't help cheats.

It is an inescapable conclusion based upon his own, words, actions and Grand Tour riding abilities.

fbircher said:
If JU would like to end the negative media scrutiny, and he knows he didn't dope with Fuentes, why on earth wouldn't he be anxioius to get this test done and get this business behind him?
I think it's because he'd be worried that his DNA would be a match to the OP blood.

Just a hunch.

fbircher said:

My understanding is that he filed to block comparisons with samples taken from his home.
I have heard of no action to block testing of samples he gave recently.

jhuskey said:
My understanding is that he filed to block comparisons with samples taken from his home.
I have heard of no action to block testing of samples he gave recently.
Ah yes, the games people play:

Presumably Jan's surprise-based collected DNA is INCRIMINATING, whislt his long planned and schedule saliva sample is pure as the driven snow, eh?

It matters not---he was convicted by his employer T-Mobile.

The verdict was GUILTY with pronouncement of the death sentence.

Jan put it best, in his own words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh-M4fKQlhc