Ullrich Confesses.

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
http://www.independent.ie/incoming/jan-ullrich-admits-to-blood-doping-with-fuentes-29365106.html

Yes, JU confessed... and Lance trying to get some sympathy out of the situation just twitted:

"Jan Ullrich? Warm hearted. Amazing athlete. Great competitor. Loved toeing the line with you my friend."
https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong

LOL. Sorry Lance, but I don't think Jan considers you as his friend at all.
Without doping he would have beaten you easily.

Originally Posted by sopas .

true that! i've been a fan of jan since i saw him race in new south wales in the early 90's as a teenager

Originally Posted by sopas .

Yes, JU confessed... and Lance trying to get some sympathy out of the situation just twitted:

"Jan Ullrich? Warm hearted. Amazing athlete. Great competitor. Loved toeing the line with you my friend."
https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong

LOL. Sorry Lance, but I don't think Jan considers you as his friend at all.

Jan was a classy rider.

I've a confession to make here. I was in Oslo in 1993 at the world road race championships as part of our country's delegation.
I thought that year that our riders had a serious chance of getting a podium place, but I watched a very very strong German team
with a star rider win that race. I knew at that time he was a star in the making. He made pedalling look too easy!

In 1998, the Tour visited our country and I got some "face time" with Miguel Indurain at that years Prologue. He explained how in 1996, he could see Jan Ullrich in his rear view mirror. Miguel went on to say that he regarded Jan as his successor in terms of being the new patron (not that he, Indurain, ever considered himself to the the patron). I thought they were very nice words.
Indurain was equally complementary about Pantani too. He said that with the right parcours, no one could match Pantani and went on to talk about how he was forced to chase Pantani through the pyreenees in 1995 TDF.

The days of Ullrich and Pantani and Jalabert all jousting were phenomenal days. I was always an ully fan and a Pantani fan. Pantani going on a solo at Alp D'Huez or at Morzine or at Guize Neige warms the heart. Seeing Jan and Big Mig chase him down made for rivetting viewing.

I wish Jan well. Despite this admission, he always kept his own counsel and just got on with the job.

Great to see you posting again, Sopas!

He doped as much as LA. They all did. None are more or less guilty than the others. Only some admit to it and have paid the price. BFD. Move on .....

slowfoot said:
He doped as much as LA. They all did. None are more or less guilty than the others. Only some admit to it and have paid the price. BFD. Move on .....
All? None are more or less guilty?

I am totally clueless why he would come forward at this time. I can think of no good reason to come clean at this late date since he has long sine retired and seemingly moved on.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

I am totally clueless why he would come forward at this time. I can think of no good reason to come clean at this late date since he has long sine retired and seemingly moved on.

Who knows.

Perhaps he just wanted to declare it once and for all and he decided that now was as good a time as any?
His timing is interesting for sure.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Who knows.

Perhaps he just wanted to declare it once and for all and he decided that now was as good a time as any?
His timing is interesting for sure.
I am trying to find out but my sources don't know either.

Reactions: limerickman
I am not sure, but I believe that Ullrich admission was not planned/scheduled and was just spontaneous. He was being interviewed and just said what everybody already knew. Unlike others who announce a press conference beforehand.

Oh, and BTW, I dont believe that all riders who doped are equally guilty. Yes most of them doped, but not all of them threatened, sued, and ruined other people's lifes like mafiosos.

regards to all

The hypocrisy here is sickening.

Ullrich is a lying cheat and a doper. His wins should be taken away and his name struck from the record.

Jan has been in Colorado. I just found out that bits and peices of information that were in this artcle were used to make it appear that he confessed this week. The conversation, not an interview, occured a year ago not this week so it is old news. Isn't in convenient that this was released a week before the TDF starts.
Professional athletes may not be honest about everything but can't compete with the spinning media when it comes to fabrication of events .

jhuskey said:
Jan has been in Colorado. I just found out that bits and peices of information that were in this artcle were used to make it appear that he confessed this week. The conversation, not an interview, occured a year ago not this week so it is old news. Isn't in convenient that this was released a week before the TDF starts.  Professional athletes may not be honest about everything but can't compete with the spinning media when it comes to fabrication of events .
Has anyone called the German magazine, Focus, on this? Wny hasn't Ullrich issued a statement saying as much?

He just got back from Colorado and apparently is ****** since it is made to appear he gave some kind of revealing interview . I am not sure what action he will take but will he probably call his counsel before making any comment. No interview occured but he did talk to some representative from Focus around a year ago. I am not sure what he said at that time but pretty sure they would have broken the story if he had made a confession.

I was really wondering what was going on with this "confession". Thanks for the clarification. Any eventual retraction will of course get much less publicity. Unfortunately, much of what Jan is said to have said is already in the public domain re Fuentes etc. It may make any action against Focus difficult. I also found it somewhat humorous to see the response to your post at the Cyclingnews forum responded to by Whiteyboytrash (aka The Hog). Will be curious to see how many recognize your presence.

Originally Posted by bauerfan .

I was really wondering what was going on with this "confession". Thanks for the clarification. Any eventual retraction will of course get much less publicity. Unfortunately, much of what Jan is said to have said is already in the public domain re Fuentes etc. It may make any action against Focus difficult. I also found it somewhat humorous to see the response to your post at the Cyclingnews forum responded to by Whiteyboytrash (aka The Hog). Will be curious to see how many recognize your presence.
Not sure, and I was expecting to have that reaction from some but they can believe what they will. Focus may be relying on Jan's history of silence to slide by on this but he is pretty ****** from what I hear.
It would be best if he imparts information on his term and in his time rather than being forced on someone else's terms.

jhuskey said:
It would be best if he imparts information on his term and in his time rather than being forced on someone else's terms.  
Yes. We've seen what happens when such rider doesn't provide useful information.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Not sure, and I was expecting to have that reaction from some but they can believe what they will. Focus may be relying on Jan's history of silence to slide by on this but he is pretty ****** from what I hear.
It would be best if he imparts information on his term and in his time rather than being forced on someone else's terms.
Thanks for that update, JH. I feel guilty for having created this thread because the news report about the German article is incorrect.
JU didn't give an interview as you say.

Focus magazine is playing silly buggers.
They took a calculated gamble that they could publish a completely false interview with JU on the basis that he won't sue them.

I wonder how German libel law works?

I hate media like this and their calculated timing. Makes be nauseated.