Ullrich did the right thing

Rivermist

Guest
Some are saying Ulrich should have stopped and waited for Lance. I disagree.

I would like to point out that what he did was to not attack and take advantage of Lance. He rode at
a reasonable pace, knowing Lance would catch back up. This is the same thing Lance did not long
before when Ulrich had a flat and had to catch back up.

If Ulrich is guilty of anything for not stopping (which he is not), then Lance is too.

I agree! Go read rec.bicycles.racing and there are plenty of rectal ports criticizing everything the
pros do. It seems each decent, sportsman-like gesture is completely turned around and made to seem
self serving. Tyler imploring the others to wait for Lance is arrogant, Lance's pat on the back of
the breakaway rider is put down to ego, many comments that Tyler is on major drugs just to be
riding. The list goes on and on. These small, human, gestures are what elevate cycling above most
sporting events IMO. I come away from this race with greater feelings of awe for Hamilton, respect
for Armstrong's ability to rise to the occasion when he is not at his usual peak, and the feeling
that Ullrich is a class act. My dream podium order for this 100th Tour would be Armstrong, Ullrich
and Hamilton, 1-2-3. The Luz Ardiden stage was the most exciting I have ever seen and still many
just want to pick apart the players.

Tim McTeague

news:[email protected]...

"Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I agree! Go read rec.bicycles.racing and there are plenty of rectal ports criticizing everything
>the pros do. It seems each decent, sportsman-like gesture is completely turned around and made to
>seem self serving. Tyler imploring the others to wait for Lance is arrogant, Lance's pat on the
>back of the breakaway rider is put down to ego, many comments that Tyler is on major drugs just to
>be riding. The list goes on and on. These small, human, gestures are what elevate cycling above
>most sporting events IMO. I come away from this race with greater feelings of awe for Hamilton,
>respect for Armstrong's ability to rise to the occasion when he is not at his usual peak, and the
>feeling that Ullrich is a class act. My dream podium order for this 100th Tour would be Armstrong,
>Ullrich and Hamilton, 1-2-3. The Luz Ardiden stage was the most exciting I have ever seen and still
>many just want to pick apart the players.

Which is why I no longer frequent r.b.r. - the signal to troll ratio is exceedingly low. This tour
is one for the ages - and it's not over yet. Great stuff.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Which is why I no longer frequent r.b.r. - the signal to troll ratio is exceedingly low. This tour
> is one for the ages - and it's not over yet. Great stuff.

Yeah. I remember trying to convince the rec.bicycles people to split off the racing people to their
own group something like 13-15 years ago but failing. I actually stopped reading rec.bicycles for a
few years there and of course, that's when it was finally split up :) :( . Racing seems to bring out
the worst in cyclists. I've been looking at r.b.r lately because of the tour and Lance and it's the
same old ****; different decade. It's like a whole group of Fabrizios. :p

Great tour though. This one is far from over and it's anybody's guess who will win.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Mark and Bill,

What a breath of fresh air. Sane, lucid and polite posts! I made the mistake of reading r.b.r. just
now and some jerk was calling Tyler to task for "theatrics" when he tried to get the group to slow
down after Lance's crash. My guess is he was not sure they knew the yellow jersey hit the pavement
and wanted to make sure they did. This is the best tour in a very long time. Guess I'll have to look
in other groups for posts that don't make my blood boil.

Tim McTeague

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Which is why I no longer frequent r.b.r. - the signal to troll ratio is exceedingly low. This tour
> is one for the ages - and it's not over yet. Great stuff.

You mean r.b.r has a signal? I musta missed it!

Pat

--
Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
'round-about comcast point net.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:15:04 +0000, Tim McTeague wrote:

> I agree! Go read rec.bicycles.racing and there are plenty of rectal ports criticizing everything
> the pros do.

Welcome to usenet...

> IMO. I come away from this race with greater feelings of awe for Hamilton, respect for
> Armstrong's ability to rise to the occasion when he is not at his usual peak, and the
> feeling that Ullrich is a class act. My dream podium order for this 100th Tour would be
> Armstrong, Ullrich and Hamilton, 1-2-3.

Wouldn't that be great.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

Pat wrote:
> You mean r.b.r has a signal? I musta missed it!

Some of their stuff is pretty funny. One thread highlights great quotes from OLM's color
commentators. Another wiseacre suggests that if you're gonna slip off your pedal and smash into
the top tube, having survived T-cancer ain't all bad.

--Karen M.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:39:02 +0000, Bill Davidson wrote:

> to bring out the worst in cyclists. I've been looking at r.b.r lately because of the tour and
> Lance and it's the same old ****; different decade. It's like a whole group of Fabrizios. :p

I think Fab comes out well in comparison.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

[email protected] (Karen M.) wrote:

>Pat wrote:
>> You mean r.b.r has a signal? I musta missed it!
>
> Some of their stuff is pretty funny. One thread highlights great quotes from OLM's color
> commentators. Another wiseacre suggests that if you're gonna slip off your pedal and smash into
> the top tube, having survived T-cancer ain't all bad.

Funnier yet, Lance never actually hit the top tube, making the whole point kinda moot.

news:eek:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Karen M.) wrote:
>
> >Pat wrote:
> >> You mean r.b.r has a signal? I musta missed it!
> >
> > Some of their stuff is pretty funny. One thread highlights great quotes from OLM's color
> > commentators. Another wiseacre suggests that if you're gonna slip off your pedal and smash
> > into the top tube, having survived T-cancer ain't all bad.
>
> Funnier yet, Lance never actually hit the top tube, making the whole point kinda moot.

Sure could've fooled me! When they showed it in super slow motion, his foot slipped off pedal and he
went a little sideways, but then he tried to regain balance and came down full force on the tt
(which is when the announcers both said "Ooooooooooooohhh!").

Suffered a little nuttus withdrawus just looking at it, Bill

In article <[email protected]>, Sorni wrote:
> "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Funnier yet, Lance never actually hit the top tube, making the whole point kinda moot.
>
> Sure could've fooled me! When they showed it in super slow motion, his foot slipped off pedal and
> he went a little sideways, but then he tried to regain balance and came down full force on the tt
> (which is when the announcers both said "Ooooooooooooohhh!").
>
> Suffered a little nuttus withdrawus just looking at it, Bill

Actually, if you watch carefully he stops an inch or two above the bar. At least that's what the
video on OLN looked like.

I couldn't imagine attacking on a climb like that if I had "just about lost my manhood" as Sherwin
so nicely put it...

--
"Divide by cucumber error, please reinstall Universe and reboot"

-- Terry Pratchett, _Hogfather_

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:19:54 +0000, Sorni wrote:

> Sure could've fooled me! When they showed it in super slow motion, his foot slipped off pedal and
> he went a little sideways, but then he tried to regain balance and came down full force on the tt
> (which is when the announcers both said "Ooooooooooooohhh!").

The way I saw it, he never did quite hit the top tube, which shows some skill. I will leave aside
the tasteless jokes about his cancer

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

> In article <[email protected]>, Sorni wrote:
> > "Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >> Funnier yet, Lance never actually hit the top tube, making the whole point kinda moot.
> >
> > Sure could've fooled me! When they showed it in super slow motion, his foot slipped off pedal
> > and he went a little sideways, but then he tried to regain balance and came down full force on
> > the tt (which is when the announcers both said "Ooooooooooooohhh!").
> >
> > Suffered a little nuttus withdrawus just looking at it, Bill
>
> Actually, if you watch carefully he stops an inch or two above the bar. At least that's what the
> video on OLN looked like.
>
> I couldn't imagine attacking on a climb like that if I had "just about lost my manhood" as Sherwin
> so nicely put it...

Don't forget, he lost his surgically a few years ago because of the cancer.

it's morning".