Ullrich has gone underground and refused internal T-Mobile DNA tests....

cyclingheroes said:
Next round, according to Sportbild UCI will appeal if Ullrich get cleared:

http://www.radsport-aktiv.de/sport/sportnews_40836.htm
Appeal with what ? The UCI set a precedent with the Armstrong case that without a clear A and B sample they will not punish anyone.... they have no hope..... Ullrich's team will reference this case as precedent as the UCI supported the position of the independent investigation. Funny how these things come back to bite you !

cyclingheroes said:
Next round, according to Sportbild UCI will appeal if Ullrich get cleared:

http://www.radsport-aktiv.de/sport/sportnews_40836.htm
Although one correction from above...... "they will consider" - any two-bit lawyer will tell the UCI they don't have a case regardless of Ullrich guilt or innocence... and by way of course lets not comment or take to CAS, Botero or Mancebo (who have both been cleared) with the latter admitting he blood doped !

_______

The International Cycling Union (UCI) has vowed to take Jan Ullrich's case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if the Swiss Cycling Federation provide him with a licence for 2007.

"If the Swiss Cycling Federation do not exclude Jan Ullrich we will consider going to the court of arbitration for sport," UCI president Pat McQuaid told SportBild magazine.

The 33-year-old Ullrich was sacked by his T-Mobile team during this year's Tour de France - which he was barred from racing in when the allegations were made - after a Spanish investigation offered evidence that he was involved in doping.

Ullrich is said to have been given the blood-boosting drug EPO, human growth hormones and steroids by Eufemio Fuentes but denies knowing the doctor. Ullrich has already had his Swiss home raided by police as the doping investigation continues.

whiteboytrash said:
Appeal with what ? The UCI set a precedent with the Armstrong case that without a clear A and B sample they will not punish anyone.... they have no hope..... Ullrich's team will reference this case as precedent as the UCI supported the position of the independent investigation. Funny how these things come back to bite you !
The UCI can't make enough mistakes... The sooner we get rid of them the better...

whiteboytrash said:
Although one correction from above...... "they will consider" - any two-bit lawyer will tell the UCI they don't have a case regardless of Ullrich guilt or innocence... and by way of course lets not comment or take to CAS, Botero or Mancebo (who have both been cleared) with the latter admitting he blood doped !

_______

The International Cycling Union (UCI) has vowed to take Jan Ullrich's case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if the Swiss Cycling Federation provide him with a licence for 2007.

"If the Swiss Cycling Federation do not exclude Jan Ullrich we will consider going to the court of arbitration for sport," UCI president Pat McQuaid told SportBild magazine.

The 33-year-old Ullrich was sacked by his T-Mobile team during this year's Tour de France - which he was barred from racing in when the allegations were made - after a Spanish investigation offered evidence that he was involved in doping.

Ullrich is said to have been given the blood-boosting drug EPO, human growth hormones and steroids by Eufemio Fuentes but denies knowing the doctor. Ullrich has already had his Swiss home raided by police as the doping investigation continues.
No consider in German...

cyclingheroes said:
The UCI can't make enough mistakes... The sooner we get rid of them the better...
Problem being the UCI is not answerable to anyone..... they vote themselves into power and control the money from the federations.... you can never rid of them... the riders have no say....... the only hope is if the Grand Tours form a rebel organisation run by the riders for the riders....

I continue to contend that the amnesty route should be adopted.

Allow a six month period for riders to come forward and to confess : get them to
disclose the means of how they procured said PED's.
Get them to disclose what PED's were used and get them to disclose the masking agents used (if any).

Then after the six month period - the UCI should adopt draconian measures : life bans, financial penalties to all retrospective wins etc, for riders caught doping subsequently.

limerickman said:
I continue to contend that the amnesty route should be adopted.

Allow a six month period for riders to come forward and to confess : get them to
disclose the means of how they procured said PED's.
Get them to disclose what PED's were used and get them to disclose the masking agents used (if any).

Then after the six month period - the UCI should adopt draconian measures : life bans, financial penalties to all retrospective wins etc, for riders caught doping subsequently.
I like the idea of an amnesty period. But I'm not sure that harsher penalties would make any difference to athletes who think they can get away with doping; keeping in mind no one would dope if they thought they were going to get caught.

It has been proven over that increasing penalties for civil crimes does not affect the crime rate, unless of course the existing penalties are way too light. That said maybe that is the case in cycling?

I'm all for life bans for dopers, apart for the same reason I am against the death penalty. What if someone is wrongly tested? That's their career over unjustly.

I think that something that must change to eradicate doping from cycling is the culture of what happens in the peloton stays in the peloton. We need cyclists who know that there peers are doping to dob them in.

Just my 2 cents.

I am not sure the athletes are the problem... Hard penalties for riders are nescesarry but they also need to go after the people behind them (teams. team doctors, soigneurs etc.).

Rhubarb said:
I like the idea of an amnesty period. But I'm not sure that harsher penalties would make any difference to athletes who think they can get away with doping; keeping in mind no one would dope if they thought they were going to get caught.

It has been proven over that increasing penalties for civil crimes does not affect the crime rate, unless of course the existing penalties are way too light. That said maybe that is the case in cycling?

I'm all for life bans for dopers, apart for the same reason I am against the death penalty. What if someone is wrongly tested? That's their career over unjustly.

I think that something that must change to eradicate doping from cycling is the culture of what happens in the peloton stays in the peloton. We need cyclists who know that there peers are doping to dob them in.

Just my 2 cents.

cyclingheroes said:
I am not sure the athletes are the problem... Hard penalties for riders are nescesarry but they also need to go after the people behind them (teams. team doctors, soigneurs etc.).
I agree with you in regards to the peolpe behind the riders need to be penalised as well, however a rider who is doping is definitely a big part of the problem!!

At the end of day I don't care what anyone says, if a rider doesn't want to dope they don't have too.

Rhubarb said:
I agree with you in regards to the peolpe behind the riders need to be penalised as well, however a rider who is doping is definitely a big part of the problem!!

At the end of day I don't care what anyone says, if a rider doesn't want to dope they don't have too.
Agreed accept that i know some riders who said no and didn't get a contract extension...

cyclingheroes said:
Agreed accept that i know some riders who said no and didn't get a contract extension...
Yes that is a real problem with the current system. These riders should be protected by the UCI and the team responsible taken to the cleaners.

In a perfect world of course. :)

cyclingheroes said:
You can't ban the teams or managers otherwise sponsers won't get on board....

whiteboytrash said:
You can't ban the teams or managers otherwise sponsers won't get on board....
But you also can't fight doping by punishing scapegoats and let the people behind it continue their business as usual...

Rhubarb said:
Ahhh... the web that has been woven.
..and this is the crux of the argument... the organization that runs and promotes the sport, conducts and defines policy on the dopers..... that’s a conflict of interest.... the UCI would be in their best interest to outsource the doping portion of cycling so that its truly independent... then we can stop this pretending they are taking a stand business by whereas they kick around Jan Ullrich because his at the end of his career, well known but not won the Tour in 9 years and it looks like they are doing something... How far have we come since Saiz was arrested in May this year ? No where….

whiteboytrash said:
..and this is the crux of the argument... the organization that runs and promotes the sport, conducts and defines policy on the dopers..... that’s a conflict of interest.... the UCI would be in their best interest to outsource the doping portion of cycling so that its truly independent... then we can stop this pretending they are taking a stand business by whereas they kick around Jan Ullrich because his at the end of his career, well known but not won the Tour in 9 years and it looks like they are doing something... How far have we come since Saiz was arrested in May this year ? No where….
Agreed!

According to German daily newspaper "Tagesspiegel" Ullrich manager Strohband stated that Jan will request a license in order to race again in 2007.

Strohband: Ullrich wird fahren Ullrichs Manager Wolfgang Strohband geht derweil weiter davon aus, dass sein Schützling im kommenden Jahr wieder fahren wird. "Daher werden wir auch die Lizenz beantragen", sagte er und kritisierte: "Mit einem Verbrecher geht man nicht so um wie mit Jan."

Well the UCI are shot now... even the Spanish Police have asked the federations not to ban anyone as the evidence is suspect...
________
The Madrid court that is in charge of the Operación Puerto case sent an official letter to the Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC) yesterday that said that the federation can not use the court documents to open up cases against riders named in the investigation. The Spanish cycling association will not be allowed take action in the affair until the Spanish justice determines exactly what happened.

The trial is underway, and it is predicted to be completed by the middle of next year. Therefore, the RFEC will have to wait until the trial is over to open proceedings with any sporting bodies or to sanction the implicated riders. The judge in charge of the case, Carmelo Jimenez Segado, decided not to admit the UCI as a part of the trial.

This decision made by the court seems to question the pre-emptive actions taken by other national federations such as the Swiss (against Jan Ullrich) and the Colombian (with Santiago Botero) took months ago. Ullrich and Botero are alleged to be included the famous 200-name doped sportsmen list discovered by the Spanish Guardia Civil in May

cyclingheroes said:
According to German daily newspaper "Tagesspiegel" Ullrich manager Strohband stated that Jan will request a license in order to race again in 2007.

Strohband: Ullrich wird fahren Ullrichs Manager Wolfgang Strohband geht derweil weiter davon aus, dass sein Schützling im kommenden Jahr wieder fahren wird. "Daher werden wir auch die Lizenz beantragen", sagte er und kritisierte: "Mit einem Verbrecher geht man nicht so um wie mit Jan."

whiteboytrash said:
The trial is underway, and it is predicted to be completed by the middle of next year.
The middle of next freaking year? Great. You can bet the UCI/ProTour will try to keep Ullrich out of competition until this mess is sorted out. The long drawn out process for investigations and appeals is a huge problem with suspending people under investigation. If the pro riders association had any balls they would demand time limits, something along the line of once a rider is suspended a case has to be completed by the national federation within two months, maybe each round of appeals have to be completed in a two month time frame and the whole case/appeals process can take no longer than six months.