Ullrich investigated for lying under oath

TheDangerMan

Jul 24, 2009
German prosecutors are investigating if Jan Ullrich lied under oath in an August 2006 court hearing in Hamburg, Germany. The former Tour de France winner denied he paid money to Doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, centre of doping investigation Operación Puerto.

The Hamburg prosecutor's investigation started two weeks ago "because of the suspicion of giving a false statement."

The investigation originates from a court case between Germans Ullrich and Werner Franke, an anti-doping supporter. Franke claimed that Ullrich paid Spain's Fuentes €35,000 for doping products and assistance. The court ordered Franke to stop making the statement.

During the trial, Ullrich denied under oath making any payments to Fuentes.
In May 2006, Spanish Guardia Civil seized coded blood bags during its raid on the offices of Fuentes. Related investigations led to the suspensions of cyclists Ivan Basso and Alejandro Valverde.

Team T-Mobile suspended Ullrich June 30, 2006, the day before the start of the Tour de France, because of his suspected involvement in Operación Puerto. The team later fired the 1997 Tour winner and he retired in February 2007 without racing again.

German prosecutors' DNA testing showed in April 2007 that Ullrich's blood was in some of the bags found in Fuentes' offices.
The Swiss cycling federation is also investigating Ullrich for his involvement in Operación Puerto. He has lived in Switzerland for a number of years and rode under a Swiss licence.

Ullrich Investigated For Lying Under Oath | Cyclingnews.com

I heard this was coming. Don't understand why but I am sure they have good reason to keep hounding him until he is out of cycling.
Oh wait, he is out of cycling.:rolleyes:

jhuskey said:
I heard this was coming. Don't understand why but I am sure they have good reason to keep hounding him until he is out of cycling.
Oh wait, he is out of cycling.:rolleyes:

I was a big fan of JU. I did feel he was shafted in cycling. He reminds me of the guy who goes to a Grateful Dead concert and parties with the masses. Then on the way out, he is the only guy who gets busted with dope.
"Why me ?"

wolfix said:
I was a big fan of JU. I did feel he was shafted in cycling. He reminds me of the guy who goes to a Grateful Dead concert and parties with the masses. Then on the way out, he is the only guy who gets busted with dope.
"Why me ?"

thats a good analogy, wolf.

Grateful Dead - are you a fan Wolf? (of the music, I mean!)

limerickman said:
thats a good analogy, wolf.

Grateful Dead - are you a fan Wolf? (of the music, I mean!)

Yeah, I listen them on Sirius on ch 32 a few hours now and then. They have their own station. Been to many concerts, back when Jerry was around.
I am currently up in NE Ohio with hopes I can get to the Rock & Roll Museum in Cleavland tomorrow.
I loved that period with the Dead, Janis, and my all time fav, New Riders of the Purple Sage.

It seems that Jan's wife is the one getting upset over the new attention.
I guees she is an animal lover and hates to see a dead horse get beat up on.

wolfix said:
Yeah, I listen them on Sirius on ch 32 a few hours now and then. They have their own station. Been to many concerts, back when Jerry was around.
I am currently up in NE Ohio with hopes I can get to the Rock & Roll Museum in Cleavland tomorrow.
I loved that period with the Dead, Janis, and my all time fav, New Riders of the Purple Sage.

Aye, great music from a great period.
Jerry G was some man - liked Bob Weir too.
Loved Janis Joplin, Country Joe McDonald and the Fish!, Neil Young and CSN.
Love The Band.
Great stuff from a great time.

You've got me on the New Riders of the Purple Sage, though!

pssst... hey, did you hear the news? Top-level professional cyclists have been cheating with PEDs and lying about it.

Film reel at 10.