Ullrich poised to defeat Lance this year TdF

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bosaci, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    Velonews

    Tags:

  2. Me

    Me Guest

    bosaci wrote:
    > Velonews

    ummm it's april, Paris-Roubaix just ended, JU has raced one race, and whaddya say we get through the
    giro and the remainder of the spring classics befroe we start in on the tour............ uhh Ok?

  3. More likely the inclusion of Jan will keep Lance sharp and hopefully less prone to a careless
    maneuver due to a lapse of concentration. Never a bad thing to have a clear focus on who's really
    after you.

    Besides, Lance winning the TDF for a fifth year in a row is *not* a lock. Even if Lance is the best
    person out there, it doesn't take much in the way of bad luck (a nasty cold or flu bug, or maybe a
    bad spill) to knock someone out of contention. Lance has overcome some incredible obstacles, but
    he's not immortal.

  4. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > More likely the inclusion of Jan will keep Lance sharp and hopefully less prone to a careless
    > maneuver due to a lapse of concentration. Never a bad thing to have a clear focus on who's really
    > after you.
    >
    > Besides, Lance winning the TDF for a fifth year in a row is *not* a lock. Even if Lance is the
    > best person out there, it doesn't take much in the way of bad luck (a nasty cold or flu bug, or
    > maybe a bad spill) to knock someone out of contention. Lance has overcome some incredible
    > obstacles, but he's not immortal.

    I agree, Ullrich is not even a threat in this years tdf. Since Lance is so absent from racing it is
    not unlikely that Ullrich could win a fall classic.

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Heinz Getzler wrote:
    > I agree, Ullrich is not even a threat in this years tdf. Since Lance is so absent from racing it
    > is not unlikely that Ullrich could win a fall classic.

    The Vuelta and the World Championships instead of the Olympics ? :)

  6. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > More likely the inclusion of Jan will keep Lance sharp and hopefully
    less
    > > prone to a careless maneuver due to a lapse of concentration. Never a
    bad
    > > thing to have a clear focus on who's really after you.
    > >
    > > Besides, Lance winning the TDF for a fifth year in a row is *not* a
    lock.
    > > Even if Lance is the best person out there, it doesn't take much in the
    way
    > > of bad luck (a nasty cold or flu bug, or maybe a bad spill) to knock
    someone
    > > out of contention. Lance has overcome some incredible obstacles, but
    he's
    > > not immortal.
    > >
    > I agree, Ullrich is not even a threat in this years tdf. Since Lance is so absent from racing it
    > is not unlikely that Ullrich could win a fall classic.

    Why don't you think that he is a threat?

  7. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    "bosaci" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > More likely the inclusion of Jan will keep Lance sharp and hopefully
    > less
    > > > prone to a careless maneuver due to a lapse of concentration. Never a
    > bad
    > > > thing to have a clear focus on who's really after you.
    > > >
    > > > Besides, Lance winning the TDF for a fifth year in a row is *not* a
    > lock.
    > > > Even if Lance is the best person out there, it doesn't take much in
    the
    > way
    > > > of bad luck (a nasty cold or flu bug, or maybe a bad spill) to knock
    > someone
    > > > out of contention. Lance has overcome some incredible obstacles, but
    > he's
    > > > not immortal.
    > > >
    > > I agree, Ullrich is not even a threat in this years tdf. Since Lance is so absent from racing it
    > > is not unlikely that Ullrich could win a fall classic.
    >
    > Why don't you think that he is a threat?

    Because he hasn't been training like he should be. To worried that his team would get a pay check. I
    just don't think he has in him anymore to be a winner.

  8. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Because he hasn't been training like he should be. To worried that his team would get a pay
    > > check. I just don't think he has in him anymore to be a winner.
    >
    > Open mouth insert foot?
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/apr03/koln03

    Yes he did win a race. He could probably win a local USCF race too... Why wasn't he in the big race,
    maybe like the Gold Race this weekend. Then he could have gone face to face with Lance. Sorry didn't
    have to put foot in mouth! Congrats on his win though. Who did he race against?

  9. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    > Open mouth insert foot?
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/apr03/koln03

    And Cyclingnews.com quotes him as saying: "... I was able to protect myself in the first kilometres,
    and had good legs the whole time and was able to maintain a high cadence."

    Ulrich with a high cadence - did he have a testicle removed during his knee surgery ?

  10. In article <[email protected]>, "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > > Because he hasn't been training like he should be. To worried that his team would get a pay
    > > > check. I just don't think he has in him anymore to be a winner.
    > >
    > > Open mouth insert foot?
    > >
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/apr03/koln03
    >
    > Yes he did win a race. He could probably win a local USCF race too... Why wasn't he in the big
    > race, maybe like the Gold Race this weekend. Then he could have gone face to face with Lance.

    He's only been able to race since April 8 ... so ... let's see ... that's a win only 13 days after
    he got his license back.

    > Sorry didn't have to put foot in mouth! Congrats on his win though. Who did he race against?

    Danilo Hondo Bobby Julich Jens Heppner Jeremy Hunt Kai Hundertmarck Gian Matteo Fagnini

    The Rund am Köln is a Cat 1.2 semi-classic ...

    I believe Ullrich is down to ride the Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège ....

    pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

  11. In article <[email protected]>,

    > Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    > > Open mouth insert foot?
    > >
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/?id=2003/apr03/koln03
    >
    > And Cyclingnews.com quotes him as saying: "... I was able to protect myself in the first
    > kilometres, and had good legs the whole time and was able to maintain a high cadence."
    >
    > Ulrich with a high cadence - did he have a testicle removed during his knee surgery ?

    I tell you, if this trend keeps up, a couple of seasons of mid-career disease-sabbatical are going
    to be mandatory for elite cyclists.

  12. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Lance didnt bother to counter Vino in Amstel...

    Godefroot has a lot of negative vibes towards Jan and Pevenage....

    Telekom 'normally' doesn't have a victory contender in the Tour, but it's better to have a block
    with Vino, Botero, Savoldelli, Evans (if present), Aerts, Julich... not as enemies.

  13. Stephko

    Stephko Guest

    Godefroot may have a grudge, the Telekom riders not. In the after race interview in Cologne Ullrich
    said that he enjoyed friendly chats with his former team mates in the beginning of the race. Doesn't
    sound like 'enemies'...

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lance didnt bother to counter Vino in Amstel...
    >
    > Godefroot has a lot of negative vibes towards Jan and Pevenage....
    >
    > Telekom 'normally' doesn't have a victory contender in the Tour, but it's better to have a block
    > with Vino, Botero, Savoldelli, Evans (if present), Aerts, Julich... not as enemies.

  14. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lance didnt bother to counter Vino in Amstel...
    >
    > Godefroot has a lot of negative vibes towards Jan and Pevenage....
    >
    > Telekom 'normally' doesn't have a victory contender in the Tour, but it's better to have a block
    > with Vino, Botero, Savoldelli, Evans (if present), Aerts, Julich... not as enemies.

    See, Bart's analysis is cool. I have no idea if it's right or wrong, likely or unlikely, but this is
    the kind of stuff that makes bicycle racing much more subtle and interesting than one-on-one sports.
    Even more interesting than NASCAR, on game theoretic terms: http://slate.msn.com/id/2078672/