Ullrich ready to fight it out today !

in message <[email protected]>, Jim
Burlant ('[email protected]') wrote:

> The question here is whether or not Ullrich was attempting to ride this
> climb full-out? In other words, was he attempting to ride this as best
> he could?

I am certain he was not. His objective for the year has to be the Tour;
he is not going to allow himself to get distracted now. That isn't to
say I think he could have beaten Basso - I don't know - but Ullrich's
game plan has to be to let Basso wear himself out during the Giro so
that Ullrich goes into the Tour at peak form and Basso doesn't.

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

billyroll wrote:

> 4th best in theTour would be a stellar year for you, me, CritPoo, and
> maybe even Kurgan.

Emmerduer,
Are we talking about the Tour de l'Aude ?

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Keith
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> As predicted by spotted **** on Eurosport, Ullrich seems to be
>> interested in testing himself today on the final climb, YES !

> ....errr, no. Way down the field.

> Not saying he isn't getting himself into shape for TdF, but I'd be
> surprised if he does anything more in the Giro.

It seems to me to be a healthy improvement though. Considering
the last time basso gapped everybody Ullrich finished at 16 minutes.
This time he finishes at 5.5 and pretty much all the contenders
lost more time on Basso. In fact Ullrich finished closer to most
of the 'contenders' than they did to Basso. So if you consider
him still in training it was better. I'll be interested to
see if either of the two shorter climbing finishes get competitive
whether he'll be interested in a serious effort.

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:40:47 +1000, Bounty Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>Simon Brooke wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Keith
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> As predicted by spotted **** on Eurosport, Ullrich seems to be
>>> interested in testing himself today on the final climb, YES !

>> ....errr, no. Way down the field.

>> Not saying he isn't getting himself into shape for TdF, but I'd be
>> surprised if he does anything more in the Giro.

> It seems to me to be a healthy improvement though. Considering
>the last time basso gapped everybody Ullrich finished at 16 minutes.
>This time he finishes at 5.5 and pretty much all the contenders
>lost more time on Basso. In fact Ullrich finished closer to most
>of the 'contenders' than they did to Basso. So if you consider
>him still in training it was better. I'll be interested to
>see if either of the two shorter climbing finishes get competitive
>whether he'll be interested in a serious effort.

+1

More generally it strikes me as odd that Basso could hope to keep his
stellar form until the end of the TDF, seems too good to be true.

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Dan Connelly wrote:
>
>> How is he going to make up that in 8 weeks?

> If there is one characteristic of his training it is the
> ability to make a lot of progress in a short space of
> time. Especially if he isn't racing.

But that will all change now that his blood bags are in police custody.

On Thu, 25 May 2006 23:24:16 +0200, Kyle Legate <[email protected]>
wrote:

>But that will all change now that his blood bags are in police custody.

The rumor is now that the bags are named per the goal - if you want to
race like Ullrich, you use the bag labeled 'Ullrich'. There's even a
bag of yellow fluid labeled '**** Pound'.

This rumor started, well, shortly...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Kyle Legate wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Dan Connelly wrote:
>>
>>> How is he going to make up that in 8 weeks?

>> If there is one characteristic of his training it is the
>> ability to make a lot of progress in a short space of
>> time. Especially if he isn't racing.
>>

> But that will all change now that his blood bags are in police custody.

and he abandoned today. Due for post stage control maybe?