Ullrich retires...

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Chris_E, Feb 26, 2007.

1. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

2. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

3. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

I must agree very nice write up.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I might agree except I knew his plans and he needed one more good season that he was screwed out of.
    If it had worked out he would have had a monster team, but it wasn't to be.

BTW: I hate running but how about mountain climbing in Kansas.

5. Vino

Vino New Member

Well, that really blows. I would've liked to see Ullrich ride one final year. Just to see what he could do.

6. alibat

alibat New Member

Up until a month or so ago I expected him to either form his own team or join Kessler & Co (or a cross between the two). I could never see him cycling for a continental team. He has basically run out of time to get sorted for this year, and his age means waiting another year isn't really an option. You can't blame him for retiring after the way he's been treated, not good for those of us who wanted to see him race and win again though.

By dragging it out, the Swiss & German authorities have acheived their aim without having to ban him (which given the evidence they appear to have at present, the chances of that happening appear to be zero). Unlike Basso, time wasn't on his side. Very very sad. JH, please send him my best wishes next time you speak to him.

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I sent an e-mail to Tobias Steinhauser ,his brother in law, yesteday expressing theses thoughts.
    At least he can travel some now and relax a bit more.

8. El Loto

El Loto New Member

Stefan used to be a very good middle-distance runner.

9. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

The one on the right must be Thomas, never seen him in photo before.

10. Der Kranz

Der Kranz New Member

wbt - your eulogy there reminds me of a passage of HST's from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...

It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run… but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant…. History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of ‘history’ it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened…. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda…. My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights -- or very early mornings -- when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour... booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turnoff to take when I got to the other end... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: no doubt at all about that. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply PREVAIL. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave…. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

11. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

12. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Actually Jaksche was outraged and I could have maken a complete interview about it. I decided to use it for the video that I will do with JJ (middle of March)

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Thanks CH for that link.

Nice to see the favourable comments from his fellow professionals.

I always thought that JU should have beaten a path to Pamplona to get some advise from BigMig : said it umpteen times here.

14. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

My pleasure Lim. More to come...

15. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

I must say, I'm not disappointed by any means, but rather sad to see a great leave the sport. People say he had no chance and his legs were shot, etc. I think he would have given a good run for the Tour (if he would have had a team like he did 4 years ago, Vino, Kloden, etc.) He claims he had 7 offers, some coming from pro tour teams. That kills the theory that no sponsor wanted him on their team. Thank for all the inspiration Jan!

16. wolfix

wolfix New Member

If he actually had some repectable offers from ProTour Teams, then something else is going on. I cannot believe he was riding the past few months for the fun of it, which leads me to believe the final decision came recently not to ride.
    Something about this has bothered me. JU was attacked way too hard by his own federation , and not many in cycling stood up for him. I have not followed the trail of evidence against JU, or the lack of it that close to have a clue what has happened in his case. It's rather confusing. But the thing that has bothered me was the raid upon his house. Maybe some incriminating evidence was found..... Pure speculation on my part.

There has to be some really damning evidence somewhere. And in the end, if we find out there isn't, it will tip the scales of injustice beyond the imagination.

Even if he was guilty of something....... I don't care. Cycling needs riders like JU.

17. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Cheers for that CH :

I've been here in Germany since yesterday morning : Ullrich's news has been all over the media here.
    TV/newspapers.

He was interviewed on German TV last night - looked like a good interview.
    I can't speak German but from what I saw of it JU looked pretty relaxed and calm.

19. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

That is correct unless he was being deceptive to his friends and I doubt that. He wanted to race.
    Unlikely that he will now but not impossible.

20. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I had similar thoughts when I heard the news. Being retired would mitigate the shitstorm that will occur when whatever is going to come out comes out. It will allow him to lie low for a while and to say it does not matter anymore because he's retired.