Ullrich to ride Munich Six-Day

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Davey Crockett, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. It's a virtual certainty that Jan Ullrich will be on the start line at 20:00 Hrs in Munich
    on Thursday.

    What isn't so clear though is whether he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://24.112.154.233:5080/sixday/sixday.html

    Tags:

  2. "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]rs.com...
    > It's a virtual certainty that Jan Ullrich will be on the start line at 20:00 Hrs in Munich on
    > Thursday.
    >
    > What isn't so clear though is whether he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.

    For that matter, why not a Giant?

  3. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]rs.com...
    >> It's a virtual certainty that Jan Ullrich will be on the start line at 20:00 Hrs in Munich on
    >> Thursday.
    >>
    >> What isn't so clear though is whether he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.
    >>

    > For that matter, why not a Giant?

    And why not indeeed.

    And on the new GreenTyres (Bianco-Celeste flavour) too.....

    http://www.increvable.com/chapitregreentyre.htm

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://24.112.154.233:5080/sixday/sixday.html

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]rs.com. ..
    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:[email protected]rs.com. ..
    > >> It's a virtual certainty that Jan Ullrich will be on the start line at 20:00 Hrs in Munich on
    > >> Thursday.
    > >>
    > >> What isn't so clear though is whether he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.
    > >>

    > > For that matter, why not a Giant?

    The new contract probably is not effective at least until January or later. I would guess he will be
    on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.

    > And why not indeeed.
    >
    > And on the new GreenTyres (Bianco-Celeste flavour) too.....
    >
    > http://www.increvable.com/chapitregreentyre.htm
    >
    > --
    > le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://24.112.154.233:5080/sixday/sixday.html

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I'm going to predict that he's on a Giant in T----Mobile kit.

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:[email protected]rs.com.
    > ..
    > > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> writes:
    > >
    > > > "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:[email protected]rs.com.
    > ..

    > > > For that matter, why not a Giant?
    >
    > The new contract probably is not effective at least until January or
    later.
    > I would guess he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.
    >

    > > And why not indeeed.
    > >
    > > And on the new GreenTyres (Bianco-Celeste flavour) too.....
    > >
    > > http://www.increvable.com/chapitregreentyre.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett Six-Day site: http://24.112.154.233:5080/sixday/sixday.html

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > I'm going to predict that he's on a Giant in T----Mobile kit.

    Cool. I wonder if they will come up with an all new design for Telekom? That is a big coup. Also
    unknown is whether the new sponsor for the team formerly known as ONCE will continue with Giant. Has
    anyone heard?

  7. On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:47:28 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:
    > I'm going to predict that he's on a Giant in T----Mobile kit.

    No way, and does Giant even have track bikes?

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:47:28 GMT, B. Lafferty wrote:
    > > I'm going to predict that he's on a Giant in T----Mobile kit.
    >
    > No way, and does Giant even have track bikes?

    Well no, but I am sure they can come up with some stickers like every other sponsor.

  9. Davey Crockett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]rs.com>...
    > It's a virtual certainty that Jan Ullrich will be on the start line at 20:00 Hrs in Munich on
    > Thursday.
    >
    > What isn't so clear though is whether he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.

    Whatever bike he rides, this doesn't sound like a good idea.

    I don't want anything to happen to him, but I'm going to predict that Ullrich is in a tumble, and
    possibly one that may have ramifications for his big plans this coming summer...

    -RJ

    P.S. I wonder what gear he'll use primarily.

  10. Scott Patton

    Scott Patton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Ronaldo Jeremiah
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Davey Crockett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]rs.com>...
    >> It's a virtual certainty that Jan Ullrich will be on the start line at 20:00 Hrs in Munich on
    >> Thursday.
    >>
    >> What isn't so clear though is whether he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.
    >
    >Whatever bike he rides, this doesn't sound like a good idea.
    >
    >I don't want anything to happen to him, but I'm going to predict that Ullrich is in a tumble, and
    >possibly one that may have ramifications for his big plans this coming summer...
    >
    >-RJ
    >
    >P.S. I wonder what gear he'll use primarily.

    Probably about the same size as everybody else. There are reasons they do things that way....

    Scott
    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  11. scott patton wrote:

    > Probably about the same size as everybody else. There are reasons they do things that way....

    It makes it easier to synchronize the leg positions, for one.

  12. Mika

    Mika Guest

    scott patton wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Ronaldo Jeremiah
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Davey Crockett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]rs.com>...
    > >> It's a virtual certainty that Jan Ullrich will be on the start line at 20:00 Hrs in Munich on
    > >> Thursday.
    > >>
    > >> What isn't so clear though is whether he will be on a Bianchi or a Pinarello.
    > >
    > >Whatever bike he rides, this doesn't sound like a good idea.

    He will be on the start line, maybe to fire the starter's pistol. But he won't be competing in
    the event.

    Michael, Munich

  13. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    scott patton wrote:

    >>P.S. I wonder what gear he'll use primarily.
    >
    > Probably about the same size as everybody else. There are reasons they do things that way....

    Except Jan's always been a bigger gear, slower rpm rider, hasn't he? Will riding the track increase
    his rpm and sprint on the road next year?

  14. Jay Hill wrote:
    > scott patton wrote:
    >

    >>> P.S. I wonder what gear he'll use primarily.
    >>

    >> Probably about the same size as everybody else. There are reasons they do things that way....
    >

    > Except Jan's always been a bigger gear, slower rpm rider, hasn't he? Will riding the track
    > increase his rpm and sprint on the road next year?

    Observant folks noted that Ullrich was riding with a much higher cadence in the 2002 Tour,
    expectation is that he'll continue to up the RPM's in his training for 2004.

  15. Richard Adams wrote:

    > Jay Hill wrote:

    >>> Probably about the same size as everybody else. There are reasons they do things that way....
    >>

    >> Except Jan's always been a bigger gear, slower rpm rider, hasn't he? Will riding the track
    >> increase his rpm and sprint on the road next year?
    >

    > Observant folks noted that Ullrich was riding with a much higher cadence in the 2002 Tour,
    > expectation is that he'll continue to up the RPM's in his training for 2004.

    My bad typo, 2003 not 2002 (he was exstactic in 2002.)

  16. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jay Hill wrote:

    > >> Probably about the same size as everybody else. There are reasons they do things that way....
    > >

    > > Except Jan's always been a bigger gear, slower rpm rider, hasn't he? Will riding the track
    > > increase his rpm and sprint on the road next year?
    >
    > Observant folks noted that Ullrich was riding with a much higher cadence in the 2002 Tour,
    > expectation is that he'll continue to up the RPM's in his training for 2004.

    More observant folks noted that he has always been spun faster when he is in top form. Take a look
    at him in the '96 and '97 Tours in the mountain stages. I think he only really gets bogged down when
    under pressure and he is ready to blow up. Perhaps now he also spins in those conditions but it is
    not as if he was never able to do it. He was also rumored to spin quite a bit more during his base
    miles in order to give his dodgy knee some rest.

  17. Nick Burns wrote:

    > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Jay Hill wrote:

    >>>Except Jan's always been a bigger gear, slower rpm rider, hasn't he? Will riding the track
    >>>increase his rpm and sprint on the road next year?
    >>
    >>Observant folks noted that Ullrich was riding with a much higher cadence in the 2002 Tour,
    >>expectation is that he'll continue to up the RPM's in his training for 2004.
    >

    > More observant folks noted that he has always been spun faster when he is in top form. Take a look
    > at him in the '96 and '97 Tours in the mountain stages. I think he only really gets bogged down
    > when under pressure and he is ready to blow up. Perhaps now he also spins in those conditions but
    > it is not as if he was never able to do it. He was also rumored to spin quite a bit more during
    > his base miles in order to give his dodgy knee some rest.

    I forget who said it, but he was doing about 10 more RPM in TT rides than he has done in the past.