Ullrich (Ullrich waiting for second half) of...... tdf

Charles Hizark

Guest
Ullrich: (Ullrich waiting for second half) of...... tdf
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul13news)

Ullrich claims he is waiting for the second half of the tdf. Godefoot
also said that he is disappointed with Ullrich's performance so far. I
tend to agree to with Godefoot, a 55 second deficit on Armstrong is
not much. On the otherhand I think Ullrich should have launched a few
attacks and gone for some of the time bonuses.

I get the feeling that we are seeing a replay of other tdf's where
Ullrich trails Armstrong.

"Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote ...
> Ullrich: (Ullrich waiting for second half) of...... tdf
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul13news)
>
> Ullrich claims he is waiting for the second half of the tdf. Godefoot
> also said that he is disappointed with Ullrich's performance so far. I
> tend to agree to with Godefoot, a 55 second deficit on Armstrong is
> not much. On the otherhand I think Ullrich should have launched a few
> attacks and gone for some of the time bonuses.

Easier said than done. All the top GC guys when they are just 50-100
secoonds apart are Marked Men.

Ullrich could not sneak away from US Postal and garner time bonuses
ESPECIALLY when the breakaways as well have already eaten
them up.

-Ken

Ken Papai wrote:

> "Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote ...
>
>>Ullrich: (Ullrich waiting for second half) of...... tdf
>>(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul13news)
>>
>>Ullrich claims he is waiting for the second half of the tdf. Godefoot
>>also said that he is disappointed with Ullrich's performance so far. I
>>tend to agree to with Godefoot, a 55 second deficit on Armstrong is
>>not much. On the otherhand I think Ullrich should have launched a few
>>attacks and gone for some of the time bonuses.

> Easier said than done. All the top GC guys when they are just 50-100
> secoonds apart are Marked Men.
>
> Ullrich could not sneak away from US Postal and garner time bonuses
> ESPECIALLY when the breakaways as well have already eaten
> them up.

Ullrich grabbed one or two in the past. One last year, IIRC, on one of
the late stages. You must admit, it would certainly animate the race to
see Ullrich wind it up and go.

Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ken Papai wrote:
> > Ullrich could not sneak away from US Postal and garner time bonuses
> > ESPECIALLY when the breakaways as well have already eaten
> > them up.

> Ullrich grabbed one or two in the past. One last year, IIRC, on one of
> the late stages. You must admit, it would certainly animate the race to
> see Ullrich wind it up and go.

you guys are idiots, hoping lance will pass the jersey to hincapie and
ullrich will sprint for time bonuses or chase the polka dots or
something.

anyone serious about the GC doesn't play stupid games.

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<IJHIc.63952$MB3.32345@attbi_s04>...
> "Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote ...
> > Ullrich: (Ullrich waiting for second half) of...... tdf
> > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul13news)
> >
> > Ullrich claims he is waiting for the second half of the tdf. Godefoot
> > also said that he is disappointed with Ullrich's performance so far. I
> > tend to agree to with Godefoot, a 55 second deficit on Armstrong is
> > not much. On the otherhand I think Ullrich should have launched a few
> > attacks and gone for some of the time bonuses.

> Easier said than done. All the top GC guys when they are just 50-100
> secoonds apart are Marked Men.

I disagree in 1995 Indurain broke away the day before the TT. Indurain
also put significant pressure on the field that year.
> Ullrich could not sneak away from US Postal and garner time bonuses
> ESPECIALLY when the breakaways as well have already eaten
> them up.
>

> -Ken
>

> > I get the feeling that we are seeing a replay of other tdf's where
> > Ullrich trails Armstrong.

"Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Ken Papai wrote:
> > > Ullrich could not sneak away from US Postal and garner time bonuses
> > > ESPECIALLY when the breakaways as well have already eaten
> > > them up.

> > Ullrich grabbed one or two in the past. One last year, IIRC, on one of
> > the late stages. You must admit, it would certainly animate the race to
> > see Ullrich wind it up and go.

> you guys are idiots, hoping lance will pass the jersey to hincapie and
> ullrich will sprint for time bonuses or chase the polka dots or
> something.
>
> anyone serious about the GC doesn't play stupid games.

Precisely.

Andy Coggan

[email protected] (Amit) wrote.com>...
> Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Ken Papai wrote:
> > > Ullrich could not sneak away from US Postal and garner time bonuses
> > > ESPECIALLY when the breakaways as well have already eaten
> > > them up.

> > Ullrich grabbed one or two in the past. One last year, IIRC, on one of
> > the late stages. You must admit, it would certainly animate the race to
> > see Ullrich wind it up and go.

> you guys are idiots, hoping lance will pass the jersey to hincapie and
> ullrich will sprint for time bonuses or chase the polka dots or
> something.
> anyone serious about the GC doesn't play stupid games.

Please tell me where anyone said anything remotely to what
you're jabbering about (Hincapie especially or stupid games).

-Ken

>I think Ullrich should have launched a few
>> > attacks and gone for some of the time bonuses.

>> Easier said than done. All the top GC guys when they are just 50-100
>> secoonds apart are Marked Men.
>>

>I disagree in 1995 Indurain broke away the day before the TT. Indurain
>also put significant pressure on the field that year.

As they say the exception that confirms the rule!

On 12 Jul 2004 19:16:22 -0700, [email protected] (Charles Hizark)
wrote:

>Ullrich: (Ullrich waiting for second half) of...... tdf
>(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul13news)
>
>Ullrich claims he is waiting for the second half of the tdf. Godefoot
>also said that he is disappointed with Ullrich's performance so far. I
>tend to agree to with Godefoot, a 55 second deficit on Armstrong is
>not much. On the otherhand I think Ullrich should have launched a few
>attacks and gone for some of the time bonuses.

Is this your first TdF? This is probably the stupidest thing I have
read here!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/diaries/scott/?id=scott0416