Ullrich's value to go up on Friday?

Robert Chung

Guest
Ullrich has said he'll make a decision about which team to go to on 15 January. Why so late? I think
it's because the UCI announces its final selection for "Top Ten Clubs" on Friday, 10 January. The
Top Clubs get a free pass to the major tours (along with the previous year's World Cup winning team
-- I don't know if QuickStep-Davitamon gets this, or if it's at play; Lotto-Domo is already a Top
Club). Reportedly, Coast and Telekom are on the cusp at the moment, while Phonak is on the outside
looking in. Notably, CSC has already nailed down a Top Club spot.

Telekom will probably qualify for the major tours anyway (they get a free pass to the Giro), but the
STdF will almost surely give most of the discretionary spots to French teams. If either Coast or
Phonak want to get into the TdF, what better way to do it than to show up with Ullrich?

If Coast gets the 10th spot they won't need Ullrich; but if Telekom gets it then Coast and Phonak
will fight for Ullrich's services.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ullrich has said he'll make a decision about which team to go to on 15 January. Why so late? I
> think it's because the UCI announces its final selection for "Top Ten Clubs" on Friday, 10
> January. The Top Clubs get a free pass to the major tours (along with the previous year's World
> Cup winning team -- I don't know if QuickStep-Davitamon gets this, or if it's
at
> play; Lotto-Domo is already a Top Club). Reportedly, Coast and Telekom are on the cusp at the
> moment, while Phonak is on the outside looking in. Notably, CSC has already nailed down a Top
> Club spot.
>
> Telekom will probably qualify for the major tours anyway (they get a free pass to the Giro), but
> the STdF will almost surely give most of the discretionary spots to French teams. If either Coast
> or Phonak want to get into the TdF, what better way to do it than to show up with Ullrich?
>
> If Coast gets the 10th spot they won't need Ullrich; but if Telekom gets
it
> then Coast and Phonak will fight for Ullrich's services.

But how are intangibles factored into Top Club status? I don't remember if Ullrich earned any UCI
points in the Tour of Qatar last year, but if he did it is likely those are the only points he's
bringing to the table.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ullrich has said he'll make a decision about which team to go to on 15 January. Why so late? I
> think it's because the UCI announces its final selection for "Top Ten Clubs" on Friday, 10
> January. The Top Clubs get a free pass to the major tours (along with the previous year's World
> Cup winning team -- I don't know if QuickStep-Davitamon gets this, or if it's at play; Lotto-Domo
> is already a Top Club). Reportedly, Coast and Telekom are on the cusp at the moment, while Phonak
> is on the outside looking in. Notably, CSC has already nailed down a Top Club spot.
>
> Telekom will probably qualify for the major tours anyway (they get a free pass to the Giro), but
> the STdF will almost surely give most of the discretionary spots to French teams. If either Coast
> or Phonak want to get into the TdF, what better way to do it than to show up with Ullrich?
>
> If Coast gets the 10th spot they won't need Ullrich; but if Telekom gets it then Coast and Phonak
> will fight for Ullrich's services.

A interesting scenario. If coast gets the top club designation, do they blow the money on Ullrich to
have a legitimate grand tour contender, or just roll out Zulle and Casero?

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ullrich has said he'll make a decision about which team to go to on 15 January. Why so late? I
> think it's because the UCI announces its final selection for "Top Ten Clubs" on Friday, 10
> January. The Top Clubs get a free pass to the major tours (along with the previous year's World
> Cup winning team -- I don't know if QuickStep-Davitamon gets this, or if it's at play; Lotto-Domo
> is already a Top Club). Reportedly, Coast and Telekom are on the cusp at the moment, while Phonak
> is on the outside looking in. Notably, CSC has already nailed down a Top Club spot.

"Pino added that "The performance of Ullrich is unknown after a year out of competition. But I have
no doubt that if he fits in well with the team and recovers his form, he has sufficient class to
win the Tour"

Ullrich is probably in no shape to win or contest the tdf. Ullrich could possibly contest the Vuelta
or the fall classics.

"cucycln" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Ullrich has blown his chance, if he rides at all it will be in lower
races.
> He is damage goods and only he will be able to pull himself out of the
hole.
> He has to prove himself. I put my money on that he will not be a factor at all this year. Only
> drawing his German fans. He needs the money to fix his car he wrecked!

I'm glad you aren't managing my mutual funds.

I heard a rumor he was boinkin Anna Kournikova...........

<http://home.san.rr.com/printemp/anna13.jpg>

On 1/7/03 6:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "cucycln" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Ullrich has blown his chance, if he rides at all it will be in lower
> races.
>> He is damage goods and only he will be able to pull himself out of the
> hole.
>> He has to prove himself. I put my money on that he will not be a factor at all this year. Only
>> drawing his German fans. He needs the money to fix his car he wrecked!
>
> I'm glad you aren't managing my mutual funds.

> "cucycln" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Ullrich has blown his chance, if he rides at all it will be in lower
> races.
> > He is damage goods and only he will be able to pull himself out of the
> hole.
> > He has to prove himself. I put my money on that he will not be a factor
at
> > all this year. Only drawing his German fans. He needs the money to fix
his
> > car he wrecked!
>
> I'm glad you aren't managing my mutual funds.

Really don't want to, nothing to manage.......smiles....

On 1/7/03 6:41 PM, in article BA40CF5F.1A0A5%[email protected], "Steve"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I heard a rumor he was boinkin Anna Kournikova...........
>
> <http://home.san.rr.com/printemp/anna13.jpg>

I am "sure" Ronde already knows..............