ULOCK or Cable Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanjay Punjab

I currently use a Specialized Cable lock to lock up my bike for an hour a so in mostly public areas.
I plan on going to school this fall and I may be locking my bike up for most of the day. I would
like to know which is better, a metal u-lock or cable lock? I know many would recommend both. The
problem with a Ulock is I remember owning one and finding it difficult to securely mount it to my
bike while I was riding. I would also appreciate recommendations for brands + models for locks that
have been proven effective.

On 4 Aug 2003 01:53:42 -0700, [email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) may have said:

>I currently use a Specialized Cable lock to lock up my bike for an hour a so in mostly public
>areas. I plan on going to school this fall and I may be locking my bike up for most of the day. I
>would like to know which is better, a metal u-lock or cable lock? I know many would recommend both.
>The problem with a Ulock is I remember owning one and finding it difficult to securely mount it to
>my bike while I was riding. I would also appreciate recommendations for brands + models for locks
>that have been proven effective.

I'd use both, U-lock through the rear, cable securing the front to the frame, and whichever is
practical around or through some immobile securing fixture. I have an mtb that came into my
possession because its owner (a student at a local university) discovered the necessity for the
cable through the front too late. To make matters worse, he then discovered that he could buy a used
bike for slightly less than the cost of a complete front wheel. (Not a great used bike, but then,
the one he was riding was a Pacific.)

In my experience, the brand and model of the lock is less important than the mere presence and
diligent application of it.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

[email protected] (Sanjay Punjab) brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> I currently use a Specialized Cable lock to lock up my bike for an hour a so in mostly public
> areas. I plan on going to school this fall and I may be locking my bike up for most of the day. I
> would like to know which is better, a metal u-lock or cable lock? I know many would recommend
> both. The problem with a Ulock is I remember owning one and finding it difficult to securely mount
> it to my bike while I was riding. I would also appreciate recommendations for brands + models for
> locks that have been proven effective.

Heres a good start.

http://tinyurl.com/iyi2

personally I think a well fitted U-Lock will win every time. Just don't leave gaps for levers/jacks
etc. use a smaller cable or steel-o-flex to secure the front wheel to the frame too.

--
Walter Mitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.