Ultegra 12-27 cassette -- uhhh, where does this part go?

Edisonian

Aug 17, 2010
So I finally decided to learn how to change my cassette. It wasn't hard after all!

I still have a few questions though. (Another one in another post, actually).

But for this one, a picture:

This is my cassette, taken off my bike and cleaned.

I could figure out how to put everything together, except for that tiny little ring in the dead center of the above photo. It popped off when I removed the cassette.

Do you guys know where it goes? I was even thinking it might be a presta tube washer that got caught in there, but it's a little smaller than that.

Also, when I replace the cassette, I made sure everything was seated evenly, and the lockring on tight. Is there anything else I should be wary of? I'd hate for the bike to fall apart while I was riding it!

Thanks!

i hve disassembled many cassettes to clean them, but to be honest, I have never seen a part like that. See if you can find a PDF file from the manufacturer that shows how to install it.

Originally Posted by Edisonian .

Also, when I replace the cassette, I made sure everything was seated evenly, and the lockring on tight. Is there anything else I should be wary of? I'd hate for the bike to fall apart while I was riding it!

Thanks!
Think about it--a cassette is just a collection of cogs, spacers, and a lock ring. As long as these are all in place, the lock ring is on tight, and nothing is rattling around, the cassette will be fine.

I'll bet that ring somehow found its way into the recess between the cassette body and the lockring.