Ultegra 600

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Harry Johnson, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Newbie question,

    How old is the Ultegra 600? On new bikes I only see the brand referred to as Ultegra, but it seems
    that 600 appears on older bikes.

    Is the 600 package a pretty good quality?

    I currently have ultegra on my only road bike and I am pleased.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I have an 87 bike with Shimano 600 so it's at least that old. The parts seemed pretty
    reliable/durable to me.

    Harry Johnson wrote in message ...
    >Newbie question,
    >
    >How old is the Ultegra 600? On new bikes I only see the brand referred to as Ultegra, but it seems
    >that 600 appears on older bikes.
    >
    >Is the 600 package a pretty good quality?
    >
    >I currently have ultegra on my only road bike and I am pleased.
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

  4. >From: "BillX" [email protected]

    >I have an 87 bike with Shimano 600 so it's at least that old. The parts seemed pretty
    >reliable/durable to me.

    I've a '79 that came with 600. There was also a 600EX then.

    George F. Johnson

  5. Harris

    Harris Guest

    George F. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >From: "BillX" [email protected]

    > >I have an 87 bike with Shimano 600 so it's at least that old. The parts seemed pretty
    > >reliable/durable to me.

    > I've a '79 that came with 600. There was also a 600EX then.

    Yep. I have an '81 Motobecane with the 600EX Arabesque style group.

    Art Harris

  6. Macmillin

    Macmillin Guest

    Here is what Sheldon Brown reports on his web site http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano.htm:

    Became 600EX when indexing was introduced, 600 Ultegra (Gray finish) when 7-speed added came in, in
    the early '90s. When it became an 8-speed group, the 600 designation still existed, but it was
    usually referred to as just "Ultegra". With the '98 model year, 9-speeds came in and the "600"
    designation was completely dropped from Ultegra.