Ultegra 6503 9-sp triple crank with 10-speed setup

I have a 9-sp triple crank and am wondering if it will work with the 10
speed shifters/deraileurs/chain. I know that 9-speed Dura Ace crank has
problems with the 10-speed chain and am wondering if the same is true
for the Ultegra crank. (I know that this 9-speed crank works pretty
well for Campy 10-speed chains etc...).

Thanks,
Toshi

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a 9-sp triple crank and am wondering if it will work with the 10
> speed shifters/deraileurs/chain. I know that 9-speed Dura Ace crank has
> problems with the 10-speed chain and am wondering if the same is true
> for the Ultegra crank. (I know that this 9-speed crank works pretty
> well for Campy 10-speed chains etc...).
>
> Thanks,
> Toshi

I know that an Ultegra 10 sp FD is built for a 39 tooth middle chainring
and wont work with the 42 tooth middle chain ring you've got on your 9
speed crank. I know this because I bought a 6603 derailleur (it was all
my LBS had) and found that it wouldn't work with my existing 9 speed
stuff. I suppose it would have worked if I'd changed my middle
chainring as well.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a 9-sp triple crank and am wondering if it will work with the

10
> speed shifters/deraileurs/chain. I know that 9-speed Dura Ace crank

has
> problems with the 10-speed chain and am wondering if the same is true
> for the Ultegra crank. (I know that this 9-speed crank works pretty
> well for Campy 10-speed chains etc...).
>
> Thanks,
> Toshi

Yes it will and the DA 9s crank doesn't have any problem with a 10s
chain. We have installed many 10s systems, shifter, cogset/chain on
even 8s cranks w/o any issues or problems.

Thanks for the replies. Will I need to get a new middle chain ring, as
Tim suggests, since the 10 sp is 39t and the 9sp is 42t?

Thanks,
Toshi

[email protected] wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. Will I need to get a new middle chain ring,

as
> Tim suggests, since the 10 sp is 39t and the 9sp is 42t?
>
> Thanks,
> Toshi

No, just use a 6500 front der, for the 42t on the ultegra triple crank.
The DA front der will hit the 42t when on the big big ring due to the
long inner cage.

Chepaer than swapping to a 39t middle.