Ultegra 6510 rattling, vague shifting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by B. Sanders, May 20, 2003.

  1. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    Just built up my beautiful Soulcraft Royale road frame with an Ultegra/Dura Ace drive train - all
    brand new components, purchased a month ago (April
    2003).

    The new Dura Ace triple rear derailleur is a work of art, and shifts like a dream. It's what I've
    come to expect from Shimano's high-end gruppos, and doesn't disappoint.

    The new Ultegra 6510 STI shifters, however, are not impressing me. They rattle and buzz (I
    thought they fixed that?). Downshifting is vague, with no perceptible click stops, so I'm
    constantly overshifting to a too-low gear. This is quite annoying. I didn't expect the 2nd best
    Shimano shifters to be so crappy. I had Sora STI on my 2002 Fuji Finest, and they shifted
    beautifully (although I didn't like the ergonomics much). How is it possible that Ultegra is
    outperformed by Sora?

    The Ultegra shifters look weak and fragile. The plastic upshift bat handle is lashed to a metal
    lever - looks cheap and shoddy. The "engineering plastic" shifter body probably keeps the price
    down, and I guess it's OK; but doesn't scream "value" to me. I bought Ultegra because it was
    actually cheaper than 105 (on sale); but this is a real let down. I have to believe that 105 is
    essentially identical, with the Ultegra logo being the only significant difference.

    On the plus side, the Ultegra 6510's are the most comfortable brake/shift levers I've tried. They
    fit my (size Large) hands quite well. I can easily reach the levers from the drops. That does count
    for a lot in my book, and is ultimately more important than positive shifting detents (since I'm not
    a racer, instant point-n-shoot shifting is not so important).

    Comments?

    Barry

    Tags:

  2. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    I have the identical shifters on my new bike. I have noticed some rattling, especially on bumpy
    roads. Actually on one ride my riding partner thought I had had a flat as the rattle sounded as
    such. The detents sometimes actually don't seem to catch and another push of the lever is needed for
    the lever to catch.

    Overall I am really happy with the gruppo as I am coming from a bike with a Shimano drive train
    built circa 1987. There is NO comparison in function between the two. I can understand your
    disappointment though, but try to focus on the positives of the gruppo if I can lend any comments.

    Happy shifting, JR "B. Sanders" <barry@bsanders.net> wrote in message
    > Just built up my beautiful Soulcraft Royale road frame with an
    Ultegra/Dura
    > Ace drive train - all brand new components, purchased a month ago (April
    > 2003).
    >
    > The new Dura Ace triple rear derailleur is a work of art, and shifts like
    > dream. It's what I've come to expect from Shimano's high-end gruppos, and doesn't disappoint.
    >
    > The new Ultegra 6510 STI shifters, however, are not impressing me. They rattle and buzz (I thought
    > they fixed that?). Downshifting is vague, with
    no
    > perceptible click stops, so I'm constantly overshifting to a too-low gear. This is quite annoying.
    > I didn't expect the 2nd best Shimano shifters to
    be
    > so crappy. I had Sora STI on my 2002 Fuji Finest, and they shifted beautifully (although I didn't
    > like the ergonomics much). How is it
    possible
    > that Ultegra is outperformed by Sora?
    >
    > The Ultegra shifters look weak and fragile. The plastic upshift bat handle is lashed to a metal
    > lever - looks cheap and shoddy. The "engineering plastic" shifter body probably keeps the price
    > down, and I guess it's OK; but doesn't scream "value" to me. I bought Ultegra because it was
    actually
    > cheaper than 105 (on sale); but this is a real let down. I have to believe that 105 is essentially
    > identical, with the Ultegra logo being the only significant difference.
    >
    > On the plus side, the Ultegra 6510's are the most comfortable brake/shift levers I've tried. They
    > fit my (size Large) hands quite well. I can
    easily
    > reach the levers from the drops. That does count for a lot in my book,
    and
    > is ultimately more important than positive shifting detents (since I'm not
    > racer, instant point-n-shoot shifting is not so important).
    >
    > Comments?
    >
    > Barry

  3. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "Joel Rose" <jro@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:diDya.478$jM5.135330@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > I have the identical shifters on my new bike. I have noticed some
    rattling,
    > especially on bumpy roads. Actually on one ride my riding partner thought
    > had had a flat as the rattle sounded as such. The detents sometimes
    actually
    > don't seem to catch and another push of the lever is needed for the lever
    > catch.

    Need new G springs - approx $10 total.

    Oops - just read the subject line. Better make that "Need new levers - approx $250..."

    Hmmm...

    Regards,

    Suzy

    --
    ---
    Suzy Jackson suzyj@bigpond.com http://www.suzyj.net

  4. barry-<< The new Ultegra 6510 STI shifters, however, are not impressing me. They rattle and buzz (I
    thought they fixed that?). Downshifting is vague, with no perceptible click stops, so I'm constantly
    overshifting to a too-low gear.

    << Comments?

    Try using the STI repair kit(WD-40) and flush the thing well. This may help loosen up the shifts to
    smaller cogs.

  5. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Suzy Jackson" <suzyj@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > "Joel Rose" <jro@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:diDya.478$jM5.135330@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > > I have the identical shifters on my new bike. I have noticed some
    > rattling,
    > > especially on bumpy roads. Actually on one ride my riding partner
    thought
    > > had had a flat as the rattle sounded as such. The detents sometimes
    > actually
    > > don't seem to catch and another push of the lever is needed for the
    lever
    > > catch.
    >
    > Need new G springs - approx $10 total.

    Did you mean "G string"?