Ultegra 6600 front hub cone/locknut same size?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Reed, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    Why does the Ultegra 6600 front hub require two of the same size (13mm)
    cone wrench? On top of that, my Park cone wrenches are too thick for
    these hubs.

    What wrenches can I buy that are thin enough? Any that cost less than
    $5 each?

    I just built up these wheels, and I went to adjust the new hubs, and I
    couldn't! WTF? As usual, they are slightly too tight coming from the
    factory.

    Thanks!

    -Mike

    Tags:

  2. Moto Ace

    Moto Ace Guest

    They have always been the same size on the cones.
    I've had the same issues with the wrenches being too thick, so I just
    file them thinner(by hand) until they slip in. Not a big deal really.
    Most hubs are a little too tight from the factory... dang slackers.

    Ted

  3. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    Moto Ace wrote:
    > They have always been the same size on the cones.

    Really? They're different on the rear. I must have just been using a
    13mm & 14mm by mistake on past hubs or something. I don't get crazy
    with the torque, so I've never damaged the flats. I think I'll go ahead
    and get another 13mm.

    > I've had the same issues with the wrenches being too thick, so I just
    > file them thinner(by hand) until they slip in. Not a big deal really.

    Yeah, I can do that. I guess it won't take much, and it's not for too
    much surface.

    Thanks

  4. bfd

    bfd Guest

    thin cone wrenches? Then you need Campagnolo wrenches. However, IF you
    can find them - good luck! - its gonna cost more than $5 each....

  5. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    Moto Ace wrote:
    > They have always been the same size on the cones.

    I've figured out what the difference is... the locknuts are round now,
    with flats for cone wrenches. I remember them being hex, so I could use
    a normal combination wrench for the locknut and a cone wrench on the
    cone.