Ultegra 8-speed advice for old fat guy?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Walton, May 13, 2003.

  1. Tom Walton

    Tom Walton Guest

    I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.

    I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for the
    9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need the
    26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)

    Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.

    Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?

    --Tom

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Tom Walton <[email protected]> wrote in news:b9rnt2$itb$1 @bob.news.rcn.net:
    > I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
    > the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
    > the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)

    > Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?

    Try www.sheldownbrown.com. He can get you a 13x30 8sp cassette and has instructions for
    chain length.

  3. Dr. Dave

    Dr. Dave Guest

    Tom Walton wrote:
    > I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.
    >
    > I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
    > the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
    > the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
    >
    > Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.
    >
    > Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?
    >

    > --Tom

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html

    is always a good source.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Tom Walton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.
    >
    > I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
    > the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
    > the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
    >
    > Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.
    >
    > Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?
    >
    > --Tom

    sheldonbrown.com.

    Buy a 13-26 8v cassette (a standard cassette available in several grades; I just bought an HG-70
    (105)). Add a chain, whatever 8v rated chain you prefer. Sizing it is done by fitting the chain to
    your big-big rings and adding a link, more or less.

    I don't know if derailleur capacity will be an issue, but I doubt it.

  5. Jake Bellows

    Jake Bellows Guest

    www.sheldonbrown.com

    The above site is an excellent start

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Tom Walton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.
    >
    >I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
    >the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
    >the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
    >
    >Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.

    8-speed Dura Ace cassette from excelsports.com is $37 in 13-26. I have never seen it cheaper.

    --Paul

  7. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Tom Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as
    well as old.

    > I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear.
    All the
    > replacement cogs I see are for the 9-speed version. I'd
    like to get to
    > a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
    the 26 and
    > won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
    >
    > Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.
    >
    > Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the
    old-fat-guy
    > gearing?
    >

    > --Tom

    Try here - http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1133

    HG-50, HG-70, HG-90, and DuraAce 13-26 eight speed cassettes....

  8. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Trust me, you can put an XT 11-28 rear cog on it; as I did on a Dura Ace
    53/40 front set up. Mine is an 8 speed all Dura Ace except for the XT 11/28 and I'm 73 but not fat;
    they probably trade each other off. ha.

    Tom "Tom Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.
    >
    > I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
    > the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
    > the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
    >
    > Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.
    >
    > Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?
    >

    > --Tom

  9. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Trust me, you can put an XT 11-28 rear cog on it; as I did
    on a Dura Ace
    > 53/40 front set up. Mine is an 8 speed all Dura Ace
    except for the XT 11/28
    > and I'm 73 but not fat; they probably trade each other
    off. ha.

    > Tom

    Or better yet, custom build a 13-28 - a 13-28 "M" seven speed cassette, with the eight speed spacers
    from your current cassette and an additional 14 sprocket.......

  10. tom-<< I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are
    for the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26.

    13-26 8s cogsets are still available, try yer bike shop or call us if ya needf one-