Ultegra 8-speed advice for old fat guy?

Tom Walton

Guest
I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.

I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for the
9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need the
26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)

Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.

Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?

--Tom

Tom Walton <[email protected]> wrote in news:b9rnt2$itb$1 @bob.news.rcn.net:
> I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
> the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
> the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)

> Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?

Try www.sheldownbrown.com. He can get you a 13x30 8sp cassette and has instructions for
chain length.

Tom Walton wrote:
> I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.
>
> I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
> the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
> the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
>
> Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.
>
> Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?
>

> --Tom

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html

is always a good source.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Walton <[email protected]> wrote:

> I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.
>
> I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
> the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
> the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
>
> Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.
>
> Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the old-fat-guy gearing?
>
> --Tom

sheldonbrown.com.

Buy a 13-26 8v cassette (a standard cassette available in several grades; I just bought an HG-70
(105)). Add a chain, whatever 8v rated chain you prefer. Sizing it is done by fitting the chain to
your big-big rings and adding a link, more or less.

I don't know if derailleur capacity will be an issue, but I doubt it.

www.sheldonbrown.com

The above site is an excellent start

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Walton <[email protected]> wrote:
>I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as well as old.
>
>I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are for
>the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
>the 26 and won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
>
>Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.

8-speed Dura Ace cassette from excelsports.com is $37 in 13-26. I have never seen it cheaper.

--Paul

"Tom Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I took 2 years sabbatical from the bike, so now I'm fat as
well as old.

> I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear.
All the
> replacement cogs I see are for the 9-speed version. I'd
like to get to
> a 13-26 (or so.. I'm away from the spec sheets, but I need
the 26 and
> won't be able to use 53/12 in this lifetime.)
>
> Shimano's web site only covers the 9-speed.
>
> Where can I go for guidance on chain length, etc. for the
old-fat-guy
> gearing?
>

> --Tom

Try here - http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1133

HG-50, HG-70, HG-90, and DuraAce 13-26 eight speed cassettes....

Trust me, you can put an XT 11-28 rear cog on it; as I did on a Dura Ace
53/40 front set up. Mine is an 8 speed all Dura Ace except for the XT 11/28 and I'm 73 but not fat;
they probably trade each other off. ha.

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Trust me, you can put an XT 11-28 rear cog on it; as I did
on a Dura Ace
> 53/40 front set up. Mine is an 8 speed all Dura Ace
except for the XT 11/28
> and I'm 73 but not fat; they probably trade each other
off. ha.

> Tom

Or better yet, custom build a 13-28 - a 13-28 "M" seven speed cassette, with the eight speed spacers
from your current cassette and an additional 14 sprocket.......

tom-<< I've got an Ultegra 8-speed with a 12-22 (?) in the rear. All the replacement cogs I see are
for the 9-speed version. I'd like to get to a 13-26.

13-26 8s cogsets are still available, try yer bike shop or call us if ya needf one-