Ultegra 9 Cable Replacement

Thumby

Apr 10, 2011
The shift cables on my 9 speed Ultegra levers have me stumped. Shifting high and low doesn't reveal the cable end-ball like I'm used to. Before I tear it down too far, what's the procedure here?

I don't know what your are used to ...

PRESS the small(er) shift paddle which is behnd the brake lever until the chain is on the smallest cog in the rear AND on the small(er/est) chainring ...

CLOSE the brake caliper by squeezing the brake lever ...

LOOK at the mechanism directly opposite where the derailleur cable exits the lever AND you will see a hole AND the end of the derailleur cable nested therein ...

• [COLOR= #ff0000]if you cannot see the end of the cable then it is because the derailleur wasn't adjusted properly[/COLOR] .... if so, then press the inner paddle until you CAN see the end of the cable.

DISCONNECT the end of the derailleur cable from its respective derailleur...

PULL the housing away from the shift lever...

PUSH the cable out through the lever ...

INSERT new derailleur cable ...

ADD a thin layer of grease to the cable ...

PUT the housing back on the cable ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., push the cable through the housing[/COLOR]) ...

ATTACH the cable to its respective derailleur ...

ADJUST the tension & TEST the indexing ...

REPEAT on the other shifter.

Got it Alfeng. My trouble was that the cable was disconnected at the derailleur. When I upshifted, the cable was not being pulled back to remove the slack, so the cable end was staying hidden in the shifter body. Thanks for the run through!