Ultegra 9sp. levers compatible with double and triple front??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Smith, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    I'm looking into setting up a bike with an Ultegra triple drive train, but I can't quite make sense
    of Performance's shift lever page. They say on the page for the Ultegra levers:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=11616

    "Levers and cables. 9 spd. rear. Double (Compatible with Dura-Ace® or 105®) or triple front
    compatible."

    Does this mean that the levers are compatible with both double and triple front shifting? The page
    doesn't offer a choice for ordering one or the other.

    Thanks very much.

    Tags:

  2. Any 9-speed Tiagra, '105 or Ultegra (but not DuraAce) STI lever is comaptible with either a double
    or triple crankset. For a rear derailleur, you may use *any* Shimano 9-speed rear derailleur,
    including DuraAce.

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking into setting up a bike with an Ultegra triple drive train, but I can't quite make
    > sense of Performance's shift lever page. They say on the page for the Ultegra levers:
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=11616
    >
    > "Levers and cables. 9 spd. rear. Double (Compatible with Dura-Ace® or 105®) or triple front
    > compatible."
    >
    > Does this mean that the levers are compatible with both double and triple front shifting? The page
    > doesn't offer a choice for ordering one or the other.
    >
    > Thanks very much.

  3. Swamprun

    Swamprun Guest

    With a double front chainring the middle click can be used for "trimming" the derailleur.

  4. "Dave Smith" wrote:
    > I'm looking into setting up a bike with an Ultegra triple drive train, but I can't quite make
    > sense of Performance's shift lever page. They say on the page for the Ultegra levers:
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=11616
    >
    > "Levers and cables. 9 spd. rear. Double (Compatible with Dura-Ace® or 105®) or triple front
    > compatible."
    >
    > Does this mean that the levers are compatible with both double and triple front shifting? The page
    > doesn't offer a choice for ordering one or the other.

    That IS worded badly. The bottom line is: if you're going to use an all Ultegra drivetrain, the
    Ultegra levers will work with either a double or triple crankset. The Ultegra stuff is also fully
    compatible with 105.

    Dura Ace STI levers come in separate versions for double and triple. Mixing Dura Ace triple stuff
    (front STI shifter, crankset, front derailleur) with Ultegra or 105 is not advised. You can use Dura
    Ace double stuff with Ultegra and 105 if you're using a double crankset.

    Art Harris

  5. sallydog-<< Double (Compatible with Dura-Ace® or 105®) or triple front compatible."

    Does this mean that the levers are compatible with both double and triple front shifting? >><BR><BR>

    Yes, only DA is double OR triple but not both-

  6. n2ah-<< Dura Ace STI levers come in separate versions for double and triple.
    >><BR><BR>

    should point out that DA 9s double is no more. Altho there is some left(left levers for double), it
    has been discontinued by shimano-

  7. Someone asked:

    > Does this mean that the levers are compatible with both double and triple front shifting?
    > >><BR><BR>

    Peter Chisholm answered:

    > Yes, only DA is double OR triple but not both-

    How can that be?

    I've never encountered any front shifter that would work with 3 that wouldn't also work with two.

    What is it about the Dura-Ace triple brifter that makes you say it won't work with only two
    chainrings?

    Sheldon "Skeptical" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | Some of my mother's paintings may be seen at: | http://sheldonbrown.com/joyce |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  8. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mixing Dura Ace triple stuff (front STI shifter, crankset, front derailleur) >with Ultegra or 105
    > is not advised.

    Why is that? I'm using a Dura-Ace triple FD with Tiagra crankset and brifters. I am going to replace
    the brifters with Dura-Ace STI triple, next spring. If I can afford it, I am going to also replace
    the crankset with a Dura-Ace triple. I have no immediate plans to replace my 105 RD. What problems
    might I encounter? Life is Good! Jeff