Ultegra 9spd hub ball bearing size

GuyStevens

Jul 30, 2003
Hello all. I've just replaced the freehub body on a 9-speed Ultegra rear hub, along with the ball bearings. Problem now is that the cone has play in it at the freehub side only. Are the ball bearings larger on this side? Visually the new bearings were a match but exactly what size (or sizes) should I be using? Thanks.

GuyStevens said:
Hello all. I've just replaced the freehub body on a 9-speed Ultegra rear hub, along with the ball bearings. Problem now is that the cone has play in it at the freehub side only. Are the ball bearings larger on this side? Visually the new bearings were a match but exactly what size (or sizes) should I be using? Thanks.
Same size both sides.

GuyStevens said:
As Boud said 1/4" both sides; just the cones and spacers are different widths. I know this sounds dumb but are you sure you got all 9 balls in both sides? I've seen people inadvertently let one get away from them, usually with the smaller balls on the front hubs, though.

serenaslu said:
As Boud said 1/4" both sides; just the cones and spacers are different widths. I know this sounds dumb but are you sure you got all 9 balls in both sides? I've seen people inadvertently let one get away from them, usually with the smaller balls on the front hubs, though.
Yes, I did check I had placed 9 both sides and I had used 1/4" bearings.