Ultegra Adjustment

Tom Scanlin

Guest
I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what should
be an easy fix. Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt
bike, I do not want to incorrectly adjust the road bike and
screw something up!

Bike sat downstairs for three months, no riding (winter)
then took it out today (winter gear arrived Friday!)

Lubed pivots, chain etc. before my ride.

Here are the symptoms: on large chainring, small cog the
chain slaps the outside of the front der cage. I've tried to
trim the front der with very limited success. I turned the
front der cable adjust CCW/anti-clockwise until the slap
went away. At that point the front der wouldn't hold the
shift from med to large ring. So, I moved the front der
adjust CW smidge by smidge so it would shift from med to
large. Of course, now the chain hits the outside of the cage
on large ring-small cog combo, same as before. Grrr!

Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the cable,
using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust the throw
of the front der cage?

If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
(nearest/farthest from the frame) adjusts the high cog
(Ultegra)?

I'd like to properly learn to tune it myself.

Thanks for your patience. Tom

"Tom Scanlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what
> should be an easy
fix.
> Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt bike, I do not
> want to incorrectly adjust the road bike and screw
> something up!

<snip>

> Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the
> cable, using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust
> the throw of the front der cage?

Don't bother trying to do anything with the barrel adjusting
screw (cable adjuster), other than turning it to its
original position.

> If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
> (nearest/farthest from the frame) adjusts the high cog
> (Ultegra)?

With the chain is touching the derailer cage (large ring,
small cog), try turning the outer (farthest from frame)
front der limiting screw CCW one-half turn. You want to
see the derailer cage 1-2 mm away from the chain. If one-
half doesn't do it, add a half-turn. You may clear it with
only a quarter turn too though. You can see the cage move
as you do this.

Jim

"Tom Scanlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what
> should be an easy
fix.
> Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt bike, I do not
> want to incorrectly adjust the road bike and screw
> something up!
>
> Bike sat downstairs for three months, no riding (winter)
> then took it out today (winter gear arrived Friday!)
>
> Lubed pivots, chain etc. before my ride.
>
> Here are the symptoms: on large chainring, small cog the
> chain slaps the outside of the front der cage. I've tried
> to trim the front der with very limited success. I turned
> the front der cable adjust CCW/anti-clockwise until the
> slap went away. At that point the front der wouldn't hold
> the shift from med to large ring. So, I moved the front
> der adjust CW smidge
by
> smidge so it would shift from med to large. Of course, now
> the chain hits the outside of the cage on large ring-small
> cog combo, same as before.
Grrr!

> Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the
> cable, using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust
> the throw of the front der cage?
>
> If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
> (nearest/farthest from the frame) adjusts the high cog
> (Ultegra)?
>
> I'd like to properly learn to tune it myself.
>
> Thanks for your patience. Tom

Park Tools has probably the best instructions on how to
set up your derailluers: http://www.parktool.com/repair_h-
elp/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml Remember that one
adjustment affects the others, so follow the instructions
in order given.

Jim:

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow PM! Tom

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Tom Scanlin" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:jt6dnTmjJJjTOs7dRVn-
> [email protected]...
> > I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what
> > should be an easy
> fix.
> > Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt bike, I do not
> > want to
incorrectly
> > adjust the road bike and screw something up!
>
> <snip>
>
> > Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the
> > cable, using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust
> > the throw of the front der cage?
>
> Don't bother trying to do anything with the barrel
> adjusting screw (cable adjuster), other than turning it to
> its original position.
>
> > If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
> > (nearest/farthest from
the
> > frame) adjusts the high cog (Ultegra)?
>
> With the chain is touching the derailer cage (large ring,
> small cog), try turning the outer (farthest from frame)
> front der limiting screw CCW one-half turn. You want to
> see the derailer cage 1-2 mm away from the chain. If one-
> half doesn't do it, add a half-turn. You may clear it with
> only a quarter turn too though. You can see the cage move
> as you do this.
>
> Jim

Here's a trick to determine which screw to turn, and which
direction to turn it to adjust the FD cage, before you've
messed up the setting too badly.... Place a finger in
between the the cage and the crank. You can use touch to
detect cage movement quite easily. If one screw does not do
anything within a quarter turn, try the other screw. I need
to feel the movement because I so seldom adjust the cage I
easily forget how.

r.b.