Ultegra Adjustment

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Scanlin, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Tom Scanlin

    Tom Scanlin Guest

    I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what should
    be an easy fix. Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt
    bike, I do not want to incorrectly adjust the road bike and
    screw something up!

    Bike sat downstairs for three months, no riding (winter)
    then took it out today (winter gear arrived Friday!)

    Lubed pivots, chain etc. before my ride.

    Here are the symptoms: on large chainring, small cog the
    chain slaps the outside of the front der cage. I've tried to
    trim the front der with very limited success. I turned the
    front der cable adjust CCW/anti-clockwise until the slap
    went away. At that point the front der wouldn't hold the
    shift from med to large ring. So, I moved the front der
    adjust CW smidge by smidge so it would shift from med to
    large. Of course, now the chain hits the outside of the cage
    on large ring-small cog combo, same as before. Grrr!

    Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the cable,
    using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust the throw
    of the front der cage?

    If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
    (nearest/farthest from the frame) adjusts the high cog
    (Ultegra)?

    I'd like to properly learn to tune it myself.

    Thanks for your patience. Tom

    Tags:

  2. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Tom Scanlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what
    > should be an easy
    fix.
    > Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt bike, I do not
    > want to incorrectly adjust the road bike and screw
    > something up!

    <snip>

    > Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the
    > cable, using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust
    > the throw of the front der cage?

    Don't bother trying to do anything with the barrel adjusting
    screw (cable adjuster), other than turning it to its
    original position.

    > If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
    > (nearest/farthest from the frame) adjusts the high cog
    > (Ultegra)?

    With the chain is touching the derailer cage (large ring,
    small cog), try turning the outer (farthest from frame)
    front der limiting screw CCW one-half turn. You want to
    see the derailer cage 1-2 mm away from the chain. If one-
    half doesn't do it, add a half-turn. You may clear it with
    only a quarter turn too though. You can see the cage move
    as you do this.

    Jim

  3. "Tom Scanlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what
    > should be an easy
    fix.
    > Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt bike, I do not
    > want to incorrectly adjust the road bike and screw
    > something up!
    >
    > Bike sat downstairs for three months, no riding (winter)
    > then took it out today (winter gear arrived Friday!)
    >
    > Lubed pivots, chain etc. before my ride.
    >
    > Here are the symptoms: on large chainring, small cog the
    > chain slaps the outside of the front der cage. I've tried
    > to trim the front der with very limited success. I turned
    > the front der cable adjust CCW/anti-clockwise until the
    > slap went away. At that point the front der wouldn't hold
    > the shift from med to large ring. So, I moved the front
    > der adjust CW smidge
    by
    > smidge so it would shift from med to large. Of course, now
    > the chain hits the outside of the cage on large ring-small
    > cog combo, same as before.
    Grrr!

    > Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the
    > cable, using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust
    > the throw of the front der cage?
    >
    > If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
    > (nearest/farthest from the frame) adjusts the high cog
    > (Ultegra)?
    >
    > I'd like to properly learn to tune it myself.
    >
    > Thanks for your patience. Tom

    Park Tools has probably the best instructions on how to
    set up your derailluers: http://www.parktool.com/repair_h-
    elp/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml Remember that one
    adjustment affects the others, so follow the instructions
    in order given.

  4. T Scanlin

    T Scanlin Guest

    Jim:

    Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow PM! Tom

    "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tom Scanlin" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:jt6dnTmjJJjTOs7dRVn-
    > [email protected]
    > > I have an Ultegra (52-42-30; 12-25 9 speed) with what
    > > should be an easy
    > fix.
    > > Although I've worked on my "cheapie" mt bike, I do not
    > > want to
    incorrectly
    > > adjust the road bike and screw something up!
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Based on the symptoms, should I be able to adjust the
    > > cable, using much smaller turns or will I have to adjust
    > > the throw of the front der cage?
    >
    > Don't bother trying to do anything with the barrel
    > adjusting screw (cable adjuster), other than turning it to
    > its original position.
    >
    > > If I have to adjust the front der, which screw
    > > (nearest/farthest from
    the
    > > frame) adjusts the high cog (Ultegra)?
    >
    > With the chain is touching the derailer cage (large ring,
    > small cog), try turning the outer (farthest from frame)
    > front der limiting screw CCW one-half turn. You want to
    > see the derailer cage 1-2 mm away from the chain. If one-
    > half doesn't do it, add a half-turn. You may clear it with
    > only a quarter turn too though. You can see the cage move
    > as you do this.
    >
    > Jim

  5. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
  6. Flatline

    Flatline Guest

    Here's a trick to determine which screw to turn, and which
    direction to turn it to adjust the FD cage, before you've
    messed up the setting too badly.... Place a finger in
    between the the cage and the crank. You can use touch to
    detect cage movement quite easily. If one screw does not do
    anything within a quarter turn, try the other screw. I need
    to feel the movement because I so seldom adjust the cage I
    easily forget how.

    r.b.