Ultegra BB-6503: same cartridge for English and Italian?

JeffWills

Guest
What I mean is: if I remove the threaded retaining rings, is the
central cartridge the same?

Here's the whole story: I've got an Ultegra triple crankset on my all-
around bike. I've had it for 5 or 6 years and umpteen thousand miles
and it's been fine. However, the BB has developed a slight click (I
think- I haven't put it on the stand yet) that is slightly worrisome.

The question arises from a bit of Internet searching. It looks like
the more up-to-date sites are *only* listing the Italian-threaded
BB-6503. This leads me to believe that the English-threaded BB-6503's
are scarce or unavailable... so can I just buy an Italian and toss the
rings?

I'm aware I could substitute a BB-5503 (105 level) or BB-7703 (Dura-
Ace level), but... I don't want to. Nor do I want to bolt on a Sugino
square-taper crank (I have a few square-taper BB's in my pile o'
parts). And... please... no posts about Shimano obsoleteing (is that
a word?) Octalink V1 bb's only a few short years after introducing
them. I've already heard enough from the voices in my head.

Jeff

On Jun 26, 8:38 pm, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> What I mean is: if I remove the threaded retaining rings, is the
> central cartridge the same?
>
> Here's the whole story: I've got an Ultegra triple crankset on my all-
> around bike. I've had it for 5 or 6 years and umpteen thousand miles
> and it's been fine. However, the BB has developed a slight click (I
> think- I haven't put it on the stand yet) that is slightly worrisome.
>
> The question arises from a bit of Internet searching. It looks like
> the more up-to-date sites are *only* listing the Italian-threaded
> BB-6503. This leads me to believe that the English-threaded BB-6503's
> are scarce or unavailable... so can I just buy an Italian and toss the
> rings?
>
> I'm aware I could substitute a BB-5503 (105 level) or BB-7703 (Dura-
> Ace level), but... I don't want to. Nor do I want to bolt on a Sugino
> square-taper crank (I have a few square-taper BB's in my pile o'
> parts). And... please... no posts about Shimano obsoleteing (is that
> a word?) Octalink V1 bb's only a few short years after introducing
> them. I've already heard enough from the voices in my head.
>
> Jeff

The drive side threads are directly on the cartridge, so, no, they're
not interchangeable. Sorry.

> I'm aware I could substitute a BB-5503 (105 level) or BB-7703 (Dura-
> Ace level), but... I don't want to. Nor do I want to bolt on a Sugino
> square-taper crank (I have a few square-taper BB's in my pile o'
> parts). And... please... no posts about Shimano obsoleteing (is that
> a word?) Octalink V1 bb's only a few short years after introducing
> them. I've already heard enough from the voices in my head.
>
> Jeff

========
I hate change, so I bought 3 octalink BB's, for when I need them. By the
time I move to 10 speed, maybe the prices will be more reasonable (2010). I
usually get 20,000 miles out of 105 octalink bb before it starts feeling
rough. I think the grease in them eventually dries up. I've never had one
fail, I don't think they fail, they just get this rough feeling when you
turn the spindle. I don't see any difference between a 105 bb or an ultegra
bb, and my bikes are always dura-ace free.

On Jun 27, 2:05 am, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > I'm aware I could substitute a BB-5503 (105 level) or BB-7703 (Dura-
> > Ace level), but... I don't want to. Nor do I want to bolt on a Sugino
> > square-taper crank (I have a few square-taper BB's in my pile o'
> > parts). And... please... no posts about Shimano obsoleteing (is that
> > a word?) Octalink V1 bb's only a few short years after introducing
> > them. I've already heard enough from the voices in my head.

> > Jeff

> ========
> I hate change, so I bought 3 octalink BB's, for when I need them. By the
> time I move to 10 speed, maybe the prices will be more reasonable (2010). I
> usually get 20,000 miles out of 105 octalink bb before it starts feeling
> rough. I think the grease in them eventually dries up. I've never had one
> fail, I don't think they fail, they just get this rough feeling when you
> turn the spindle. I don't see any difference between a 105 bb or an ultegra
> bb, and my bikes are always dura-ace free.

Well... the Ultegra spindle is a prettier color. Since I work on the
bike, it matters to me. :p

I guess I'll have to collect a couple 105 BB's to get me through the
next decade. Shucks.

Jeff

On Jun 26, 9:38 pm, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> What I mean is: if I remove the threaded retaining rings, is the
> central cartridge the same?
>
> Here's the whole story: I've got an Ultegra triple crankset on my all-
> around bike. I've had it for 5 or 6 years and umpteen thousand miles
> and it's been fine. However, the BB has developed a slight click (I
> think- I haven't put it on the stand yet) that is slightly worrisome.
>
> The question arises from a bit of Internet searching. It looks like
> the more up-to-date sites are *only* listing the Italian-threaded
> BB-6503. This leads me to believe that the English-threaded BB-6503's
> are scarce or unavailable... so can I just buy an Italian and toss the
> rings?
>
> I'm aware I could substitute a BB-5503 (105 level) or BB-7703 (Dura-
> Ace level), but... I don't want to. Nor do I want to bolt on a Sugino
> square-taper crank (I have a few square-taper BB's in my pile o'
> parts). And... please... no posts about Shimano obsoleteing (is that
> a word?) Octalink V1 bb's only a few short years after introducing
> them. I've already heard enough from the voices in my head.
>
> Jeff

Since the right side cup is attached to the BB, cannot sub a far
superior Italian threaded one for the BSC unit. YES, 6500/6503 BBs are
indeed gone with only leftover 7700/7703 and new production
5500/5503...use one of those, identical except for a black
spindle..and buy a few cuz these will be gone as well in a few
years...orphaning the octalink crank .

On Jun 27, 10:28 pm, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2:05 am, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > > I'm aware I could substitute a BB-5503 (105 level) or BB-7703 (Dura-
> > > Ace level), but... I don't want to. Nor do I want to bolt on a Sugino
> > > square-taper crank (I have a few square-taper BB's in my pile o'
> > > parts). And... please... no posts about Shimano obsoleteing (is that
> > > a word?) Octalink V1 bb's only a few short years after introducing
> > > them. I've already heard enough from the voices in my head.

> > > Jeff

> > ========
> > I hate change, so I bought 3 octalink BB's, for when I need them. By the
> > time I move to 10 speed, maybe the prices will be more reasonable (2010). I
> > usually get 20,000 miles out of 105 octalink bb before it starts feeling
> > rough. I think the grease in them eventually dries up. I've never had one
> > fail, I don't think they fail, they just get this rough feeling when you
> > turn the spindle. I don't see any difference between a 105 bb or an ultegra
> > bb, and my bikes are always dura-ace free.

> Well... the Ultegra spindle is a prettier color. Since I work on the
> bike, it matters to me. :p
>
> I guess I'll have to collect a couple 105 BB's to get me through the
> next decade. Shucks.
>
> Jeff

I should mention that since I use a C-Record crank from about 1988, I
DO have about a dozen 111mm cup and ball BBs on hand to last me thru
my twilight years of riding..even tho cart BBs from Campagnolo(Centaur
for instance) are available still. Can't beat the smoothness of a well
adjusted cup and ball BB..like it rides in water....

On Jun 28, 4:39 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> I should mention that since I use a C-Record crank from about 1988, I
> DO have about a dozen 111mm cup and ball BBs on hand to last me thru
> my twilight years of riding..even tho cart BBs from Campagnolo(Centaur
> for instance) are available still. Can't beat the smoothness of a well
> adjusted cup and ball BB..like it rides in water....- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I've got a couple bikes with cup & cone BB's... it's neat to get
the adjustment just right. You spin the spindle in your fingers and
it's like buttah...

Jeff