Ultegra Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alvin Liau, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Alvin Liau

    Alvin Liau Guest

    I head to the bikeshop (big chain) and asked for an Ultegra 68x109.5 bottom bracket. The bikeshopguy
    searches high and low, and comes up with a handful of 68x110.

    Hmm?? Is there a 68x110???? I was going to reach over the counter and grab the box out of the dudes
    hands but I resisted.

    Thanks.

    Alvin Liau

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Alvin Liau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I head to the bikeshop (big chain) and asked for an Ultegra 68x109.5
    bottom
    > bracket. The bikeshopguy searches high and low, and comes up with a
    handful
    > of 68x110.
    >
    > Hmm?? Is there a 68x110???? I was going to reach over the counter and
    grab
    > the box out of the dudes hands but I resisted.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Alvin Liau

    I think it depends on whether you're talking about the square tapered kind, or the splined kind of
    BB. The new splined BB is 109.5mm, the old square tapers were 103, 107, 110, and 115mm, and longer.
    He just grabbed the wrong kind, that's all.

    Mike

  3. Alvin Liau

    Alvin Liau Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Alvin Liau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I head to the bikeshop (big chain) and asked for an Ultegra 68x109.5
    > bottom
    > > bracket. The bikeshopguy searches high and low, and comes up with a
    > handful
    > > of 68x110.
    > >
    > > Hmm?? Is there a 68x110???? I was going to reach over the counter and
    > grab
    > > the box out of the dudes hands but I resisted.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Alvin Liau
    > >
    > I think it depends on whether you're talking about the square tapered
    kind,
    > or the splined kind of BB. The new splined BB is 109.5mm, the old square tapers were 103, 107,
    > 110, and 115mm, and longer. He just grabbed the
    wrong
    > kind, that's all.
    >
    > Mike

    Mike,

    Thanks for the info! I was looking for splined BBs. That makes sense.

    Alvin Liau

  4. aliau-<< I head to the bikeshop (big chain) and asked for an Ultegra 68x109.5 bottom bracket. The
    bikeshopguy searches high and low, and comes up with a handful of 68x110.

    Hmm?? Is there a 68x110????

    Nope not for splined shimano cranks..110mm was probably a square taper...ahhh the stuff that goes on
    in some bike shops...if they were car parts stores they would be outta biz...