Ultegra Brake Adjustment

sansabar

Jul 19, 2005
Should my Ultegra (Dual Pivot-Brake Calipers BR6500) front brakes meet evenly? I seem to have one arm that is far enough back that it touches the fork and the other is over 1/4 inch farther forward with a slight angle to it (the pad can't be made parallel to the rim).
I have removed, disassembled and reassembled the brake assembly. I found the center bolt to have a slight bend (the angle?) which I straightened. I can't seem to find anything else wrong. But after reassembly, when I let each arm meet one is indeed 1/4 off from the other.
I bought the bike used in excellent condition, so I can't rule out that it had an accident effecting the brakes.
Any help?

I'm certainly no bike mechanic, but I'll give you my $0.02. Yes, when you engage the brake, each pad should hit the rim at the same time. I don't know the BR6500, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't adjust the angle of the brake pad, take another look at it, there should be a bolt which allows you to do so.
When you say, that one arm is touching the fork, do you mean the rim? If you're not engaging the brake, are the two pads the same distance from the rim? If they aren't, then adjust the center bolt to align the pads so they're each the same distance from the rim.

crb189 said:
I'm certainly no bike mechanic, but I'll give you my $0.02. Yes, when you engage the brake, each pad should hit the rim at the same time. I don't know the BR6500, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't adjust the angle of the brake pad, take another look at it, there should be a bolt which allows you to do so.
When you say, that one arm is touching the fork, do you mean the rim? If you're not engaging the brake, are the two pads the same distance from the rim? If they aren't, then adjust the center bolt to align the pads so they're each the same distance from the rim.

There is no real angle adjustment. I can adjust the tilt and height of the pad strike. But the pad strike is related to the attaching arms which seem to be out of square.

I have attached an image which will hopefully explain what I am seeing. The view is seated from above the bars looking down onto the brakes.

Note the "fork strike" on the left, the difference in height and the srtiking angle on the right. This is a fairly close representation to what I am seeing.

With the calipers off the bike and the pads removed, should the arms meet evenly and squarely?

sansabar said:
There is no real angle adjustment. I can adjust the tilt and height of the pad strike. But the pad strike is related to the attaching arms which seem to be out of square.
You start with having the caliper centered with respect to the mounting bolt, and tight enough to hold the position. There is a reference mark.Then there is a small adjustment screw on top of one arm.

boudreaux said:
You start with having the caliper centered with respect to the mounting bolt, and tight enough to hold the position. There is a reference mark.Then there is a small adjustment screw on top of one arm.

Doesn't that adjustment screw move the arm wider or narrower, not forward and back?

sansabar said:
Doesn't that adjustment screw move the arm wider or narrower, not forward and back?
Good catch. No solution to the arm forward and back business. Never had to deal with tha one.But if it had a bent bolt, something else may have been bent too.

boudreaux said:
Good catch. No solution to the arm forward and back business. Never had to deal with tha one.But if it had a bent bolt, something else may have been bent too.
That's what I am trying to determine. Thought that this would be a simple 15 minute fix. Boy, was I wrong!

sansabar said:
That's what I am trying to determine. Thought that this would be a simple 15 minute fix. Boy, was I wrong!
Doesn't sound good.:( Nashbar currently has the Ultegra 6500 Calipers listed on sale pricing, but I think they are only selling them by the pair.

serenaslu said:
Doesn't sound good.:( Nashbar currently has the Ultegra 6500 Calipers listed on sale pricing, but I think they are only selling them by the pair.
I saw that. I may have to pick a set up. Who knows, I may need a spare rear someday. :rolleyes:

A quick update for those who were trying to help me out with this problem. A new front caliper indeed showed that the front left caliper was bent back on the older set. This is why it could not be corrected with adjustments. I guess this used bike had a mishap I was not informed of. Oh well, the rest of the bike has proven to be exceptional and a pleasure to ride.